A Quick Look at SWFC's Finances

Knowing all this, at least to some extent, why in the world did we buy Jordan Rhodes? It was at the position in the squad where we least needed another player, committed us to a bundle of costs we knew we couldn't afford and has now left us bereft at almost every other position with a collection of the mediocre, injury prone, overpaid or almost totally inexperienced.

And that was even before Rhodes turned out to be perhaps our worst striker, instead of the best one that made the difference. It's not like there weren't signs he might turn out to be a disappointment either.

If all of this doesn't result in relegation this season, where will we be this time next year when so many contracts are up for renewal and we may have had to sell one of the few decent assets we have left such as Forestieri, Reach or Lees?

This could just be the beginning.

Edited by DJMortimer

14 hours ago, Bigblueowl said:

We need promotion. 

Or to start again and do it properly this time.

we do have great academy prospects. This, mixtured in with a few good established players, is the right mix.

The Brighton model, or loans such as the Wolves/Watford model.

5 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

The sad truth that we've spent more on paying players not to play thsn we have spent on them playing. 

So many players have been signed on massive wages and never played. Or there's been an inexplicably long delay in playing them by wihich time said players have become understanding disillusioned. 

I dont know of another club in the entire history of the game who has done this. 

Please feel free to name another such incompetent club such as ours. 

We have locked ourselves into massive contracts with a multitude of players who have rarely played. 

Why? 

Pathetic isn’t it. DC can cry all he likes but he has mis-managed us into this mess. 

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Knowing all this, at least to some extent, why in the world did we buy Jordan Rhodes? It was at the position in the squad where we least needed another player, committed us to a bundle of costs we knew we couldn't afford and has now left us bereft at almost every other position with a collection of the mediocre, injury prone, overpaid or almost totally inexperienced.

And that was even before Rhodes turned out to be perhaps our worst striker, instead of the best one that made the difference. It's not like there weren't signs he might turn out to be a disappointment either.

If all of this doesn't result in relegation this season, where will we be this time next year when so many contracts are up for renewal and we may have had to sell one of the few decent assets we have left such as Forestieri, Reach or Lees?

It was a gamble, it's as simple as that.

We were in a position where we were pushing up the table with a shot of automatic promotion and the talk of Rhodes was everywhere with the fans at the time, and he took a chance on it being enough to push us over the line. 

It looks like a bad decision now, but at the time I thought he was guaranteed promotion.

I was wrong.

The mismanagement of our club is disgraceful. Our owner wants respect and recognition for his input of money from the fans. He deserves nothing for getting us into a financial mess that's likely to last for years.

25 minutes ago, Bob said:

The mismanagement of our club is disgraceful. Our owner wants respect and recognition for his input of money from the fans. He deserves nothing for getting us into a financial mess that's likely to last for years.

To be fair one big sales would fix everything.

Not like we're going to do a Portsmouth, Charlton or Blackpool

16 hours ago, Box_Man said:

Based on the above...which is a great read, more simplistic than trying to buy a matchday ticket in fact...

Why after losing 21million did DC sanction the signing of Fletcher on a 4 year contract and Jordan Rhodes.....Mental 

15 hours ago, prowl said:

I can only see 2 ways out of this, one is promotion which I think is very unlikely and the other is the sale of a number of our top players. Sad but if that is what we have to do we will have to do it eventually.

The window for selling seems to be drawing in, they'll all leave on frees within less than 2 seasons now, seems a decision could do with being made!!!!!

38 minutes ago, OwlWednesday said:

It was a gamble, it's as simple as that.

We were in a position where we were pushing up the table with a shot of automatic promotion and the talk of Rhodes was everywhere with the fans at the time, and he took a chance on it being enough to push us over the line. 

It looks like a bad decision now, but at the time I thought he was guaranteed promotion.

I was wrong.

Let’s be right, at the time of Jordan Rhodes signing I’d say most of our fans didn’t know the implications of Fair Play (to us) or how close we were to it. Why would we know? It’s not our business to know the finances of the club we support, football is a release from the usual things in life  like making sure we’ve enough money left in the bank before pay day to cover the bills. Knowing the ins and outs of Wednesday’s accounts to most fans would be about as appealing as a night out with Chris Wilder.

Say we were in full knowledge of the situation and the potential ramifications would Wednesdayites have chosen to spend the last monies on Rhodes? We’d just signed Winall for £500,000 and were pretty much covered for strikers. Lewis Grabban also went out on loan in the same window, a player that had the one thing we didn’t have - pace. Signing Gabban on loan would have made far more sense for me even without knowing our financial situation as he would have given us a different option and the opposition another type of threat to think about. Meanwhile we had deficiencies in defence and midfield. I’m pretty sure most sane thinking people would have tried addressing those weaknesses with our last £8,000,000 than going all in on a penalty box striker. 

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Absolutely no idea why. One of our worst decisions and we have made some shockers in the past. Idiotic at best.

4 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

It is fairly standard business practice. Subscriptions, licences etc. Companies selling these will nearly always have multi year options. This means that rather than forecasting all your future revenue, a certain portion is known so your revenue forecast are more accurate.

The only pitfall is if you don't have any money and you spend the money you get in. This is more the  'mortgaging the future' to which you refer.

Assuming that DC isn't short of money, this isn't the case with us.

It is a positive.

It’s great to have a contract to deliver a service/product for future years guaranteeing future income. It’s not great to have have a contract to deliver for future years but no future income because you have already had it and spent it.

If he has cash he doesn’t need multiple year season ticket deals to cover the businesses immediate cash requirements. He can only mortgage the future so many times...then there really is a problem.

so no it’s not a positive.

Lets be reyt..he bought Rhodes to nudge us over the line (hoped he would) Winall was nearly free and still is an asset.

It backfired but at the time it looked like an expense we could put up with, after all we were in with a very good chance of going up...a very good chance.

It was a gamble and make no mistake if he had been unwilling to gamble he would still have got plenty of stick.

He was willing to have a go...put his money where his mouth was...it failed, shyte happens.

His mistakes were listening to CC and his 'advisors'....and don't forget plenty of Wednesday fans believed in CC...the foookin sun shined out of his arris for many on here even when it was obvious he had lost it.

It is nigh on impossible to get out of this league without sailing close to the wind ffp wise.

Better to try and fail than never try at all.

I ain't no DC fan but for different reasons.

Great post it does indicate though despite quite a few high earners being out of contract at the end of this year we probably still need a big sale or two to allow us invest what we would probably need to to rebuild this team capable of making a challenge 

my gut feeling is next year our wage expenditure will be significantly lower than before as the high earners start to leave but it will be the year after when we start to show more balance 

I hope I’m wrong but I think we’re going to be extremely tight for the next couple of seasons until that huge 20 million loss season vanishies from the rolling three years before we can start again 

I just hope by then we haven’t lost all our quality and the youths are coming into there own 

maybe a cracking season from a few of these youths leading to big 10 million plus sales will dig us out of this

cant see it happening though 

20 hours ago, Morepork said:

I see this as a metaphor for SWFC. You can cast the protagonist accordingly....but in my version, DC is speeding through the intersection, the car that gets hit is the club and the miraculous escapers are the fans. In classic Hollywood style, the ultimate ending is left to your imagination. lol

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18341-1360352159-9.gif

Can't stop watching that........it's a miraculous how that van misses those 3 kids, think the one in the middle decided to pray instead of legging it, probably the right decision.

4 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

Can't stop watching that........it's a miraculous how that van misses those 3 kids, think the one in the middle decided to pray instead of legging it, probably the right decision.

It is a fascinating study of human nature and the different personality types in moments of genuine danger. Of the three pedestrians only one of them reacts in a way that is proactive and decisive. The other two basically hope for the best when faced with a spinning, out of control ton of metal hurtling towards them. That one in the middle rather irritates me actually - what the hell are you doing you idiot?