On 15/08/2018 at 20:30, brian joicey said:

I only wish I could do this! I am so bogged down in everything that’s going on around the place that I no longer enjoy going. Back in the 70s/80s (pre internet days) no one knew naff all about what was going on (other than what the star/green un told us )... and it was far better that way! Money/greed and the internet have ruined football for me .....

god I sound old lolWTF: <<<remember these 2 characters too 

Not much has changed since 70s/80s!! .... no one knows naff all today, just like to think they do & then contaminate social media talking ballhocks.

Your mistake is believing their ballhocks.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2018 at 20:30, brian joicey said:

I only wish I could do this! I am so bogged down in everything that’s going on around the place that I no longer enjoy going. Back in the 70s/80s (pre internet days) no one knew naff all about what was going on (other than what the star/green un told us )... and it was far better that way! Money/greed and the internet have ruined football for me .....

god I sound old lolWTF: <<<remember these 2 characters too 

this is what is killing football the money the greed and the internet.so true

• Like 1

On 15/08/2018 at 17:45, chrischapeltownowl said:

I know its hard to believe but i just go to matches,ive been going 55yrs home and away and i dont give a monkeys who owns us,which players the manager picks,ect,i just go.

I also know there is many thousands like me.So stop whinging and just go.

Thank you

Great post. Me too. Although I've fallen out with modern football and rarely watch it, I love Wednesday and the day out with the fantastic characters I've gone with since the late 70's, and their friends and sons. Been through all sorts of poo but don't think I'll ever stop while I'm healthy and can afford it. When we used to concede a goal it was like being stabbed through the heart and every defeat ruined my weekend but as I've got older, with the odd exception, I've realised there are much more important things to get upset about and enjoy the day regardless. 

I know its hard to believe but i just go to matches,ive been going 55yrs home and away and i dont give a monkeys who owns us,which players the manager picks,ect,i just go.

Thank you

Thanks mate, good on you.

On 15 August 2018 at 17:45, chrischapeltownowl said:

Thank you

I've been going 41 years and can't afford it anymore, thank you too 

• Like 1

I can't afford to just go ,if I could afford to just go I would just go but I can't afford to just go so to just go for me is out of the question but I would love to be able to just go,  but those who can afford to just go please continue to just go and enjoy the fact that you can just go ,

Edited by trevdi9
  • Like 1

On 15/08/2018 at 20:43, @owlstalk said:

Does anyone just go to football and not have/express any opinions?

I don't believe it's possible - even if you went to a totally neutral ground and watched two teams you don't support

Is it possible?

Unless you have had your brain tampered with a la North Korea or George Orwell stuff, how is it possible to do anything, even the most mundane daily activity, without having or expressing an opinion?

Sport by its very nature, generates differing opinions. When you buy a drink at a pub, you have an opinion on it. When you buy a pie, you have an opinion on it. Take the train home, and you have an opinion on it. Take opinions out of football and what is left? It would be like a car without wheels. Even when you go to a match as a complete neutral, you must have opinions about ticket distribution, waiting times, food and drinks, the quality of the stadium and the quality of the football. How the feck can that not be the case?

I really can't afford to go but I been going that long I still find a way to go. Said after Wigan I'd stop going as much but then went on Thursday and just got up to go today. Even when I say I'm not going I still go so just going to accept that I'm aways going to go and enjoy the day regardless while i'm lucky enough to still be able to go 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2018 at 20:43, @owlstalk said:

Does anyone just go to football and not have/express any opinions?

I don't believe it's possible - even if you went to a totally neutral ground and watched two teams you don't support

Is it possible?

If it is I have never met them.

Their is a difference between objective/constructive criticism and moaning for the sake of moaning. its also about balance giving credit where due and criticism where appropriate.

Chairmen.managers, coaches and footballers are human they make mistakes like the rest of us. Once error pointed out, move on life is too short.

Thank you

Me n all, but not so much these days. maybe every other game. Find it gets a bit samy if you go to every match. I'm more random these days 

It’s strange isn’t it, the OP’s idea of “just going” was exactly how I followed Wednesday as a kid. Same ritual every other Saturday, old man came in from working at Colvers on a Saturday morning, dinner was always a fry up, he’d get changed I’d grab me scarf and parka and we’d drive to Hillsborough in time to park up near Herries Road school and walk down the hill under the arches to the ground. Very ritualistic, same routine every other week and the odd evening game. We “just went” and to be honest the team wasn’t great in the early seventies but we had some great times watching from 66 to 74. He kept going and bought a season ticket right through the eighties and into the 90’s I think, but I haven’t been a regular since I left home and lived all over the shop on tight money. Would still “just go”if I was much nearer for travelling and would love to take the lad who’s 12 now, mind you I’m not sure the pension would run to £40 a game plus a young un. Am up there in September to fit mother’s kitchen in Eckington so will have to see about a visit to the “palace” then. 

I also know we discussed matches on the way in to Sheffield and on the way home, who’d be playing? How did they play? What was the ref like? Not much different to the way the fans are now but with less typing! :wacko: