Fitness?

33 minutes ago, vulva said:

The defence has been ripped apart twice by 2 teams who will be bottom 6. We should have been 2 down in 5 minutes yesterday. 

People confuse negativity with honesty. When we play a decent side the reality will hit home. 

Totally agree. Seems if you are honest on here you are accused of being negative. 

Mostly by people that don’t go to be fair though 

24 minutes ago, vulva said:

The defence has been ripped apart twice by 2 teams who will be bottom 6. We should have been 2 down in 5 minutes yesterday. 

People confuse negativity with honesty. When we play a decent side the reality will hit home. 

Correct.

We have 1 point from the first two games, against two teams not expected to be in the top half of the table. In both games the defence has been a horror show in the first half. It’s obvious that there’s going to be more negatives, than positives to talk about on a football forum. 

Currently though on Owlstalk, if you try to put an honest post out, you immediately get someone coming back to you having a go. It’s like some kind of weird censorship.

When we start winning 5-0 and rocket to promotion, I’ll be the first one to praise the team and club for a job well done.

42 minutes ago, vulva said:

Exactamondo..sick of the p word...I refuse to be positive just cus dc told us we have to be..there are no positives about this season

46 minutes ago, vulva said:

Recurring theme though isn’t it. Our performances against the bottom clubs was abysmal last season.

22 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

As others have said, without having the sports science data we simply cannot tell yet whether they are fitter at this stage, maybe Jos will show us all the blood lactate readings though!

Something that is relevant and we can 'see' for ourselves is the players body composition, which is usually a strong indicator to fitness levels too when it comes to power/endurance sports. Reach, FF and fletch all lifted their shirts, i'd say only Fletch looked close to the numbers in this paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19847685

Another thing, Reach was gulping water down from 20 minutes in, FF was asking a crowd member for her water around 75 mins and Fletch was looking at the bench for 10 minutes before he went off (which shows his endurance still needs work), those are all just things i picked up from watching specific players and probably something Jos and his team should be keeping an eye on . Overall, i think some of the players will be really fit, others probably not as fit as they should be. But that's pretty normal to be honest. 

The system we play does not require high intensity pressing, so fitness should never be an issue really. Having watched Leeds, it's when we play theose scrotes that we'll see what our own squads fitness is like. 

Agree about Reach, I thought he was blowing out of his arse after 20 mins, then got his second wind & had a decent 2nd half x

Bottom line is we escaped relegation last season by a small margin, and 3 worse sides.

This season our squad is weaker, and others have improved. I think we will be in a relegation battle with the likes of Hull, Birmingham, Reading and Bolton. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

And if Fletcher had took his chances we’d have 3 points and be 11th.

We are 2 games into the season ffs

3 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

And if Fletcher had took his chances we’d have 3 points and be 11th.

We are 2 games into the season ffs

Correct, but i’ve seen enough football to realise we are miles off. And we have no scope to improve it. The bench is full of kids, and when Hutch gets injured he will play Van Aken. Jones replaces Bannan, etc etc. 

United have brought in Woodburn,  Egan and Norwood. 3 players that would walk into our side. We all know the reasons why, but this league is leaving us behind. And some fans are in complete denial. 

2 hours ago, victorturner said:

Did not see FF doing that. Astonished.

FF good in second half but a bit of showing off made me suspicious in current circumstances.

Ironic he was in he team to see Fletcher's misses after the coming to work on a bike saga two years ago,

I thought Wednesday were much fitter than Hull. Some of Hull defence  and midfield seemed to slow down

He put on a good show 2nd half, but the whole team performance was better 2nd half

Carrying his kid about in the warm up tells us all we need to know. Perhaps he thought it was end of season game, weak management to allow it.

4 hours ago, MARTY BOY said:

What's your take on it then? Find some positives and I'll gladly listen.

Or alternatively leave the moaning until we are 10 games in. How can we have so much negativity yet still expect to be called fans. It was disgraceful how Fox was Cheered off injured yesterday, sends a great message to the rest of the squad. All this moaning and negatyivity just breeds more and more and at the end of the day it achieves absolutely NOTHING positive.

59 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Or alternatively leave the moaning until we are 10 games in. How can we have so much negativity yet still expect to be called fans. It was disgraceful how Fox was Cheered off injured yesterday, sends a great message to the rest of the squad. All this moaning and negatyivity just breeds more and more and at the end of the day it achieves absolutely NOTHING positive.

To get back to the OP which was about "fitness", I have not seen anything in the 2 league games so far that specifically indicates to me that we are noticeably more or less fit than the opponents - namely Wigan and Hull.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hawksmore said:

As others have said, without having the sports science data we simply cannot tell yet whether they are fitter at this stage, maybe Jos will show us all the blood lactate readings though!

Something that is relevant and we can 'see' for ourselves is the players body composition, which is usually a strong indicator to fitness levels too when it comes to power/endurance sports. Reach, FF and fletch all lifted their shirts, i'd say only Fletch looked close to the numbers in this paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19847685

Another thing, Reach was gulping water down from 20 minutes in, FF was asking a crowd member for her water around 75 mins and Fletch was looking at the bench for 10 minutes before he went off (which shows his endurance still needs work), those are all just things i picked up from watching specific players and probably something Jos and his team should be keeping an eye on . Overall, i think some of the players will be really fit, others probably not as fit as they should be. But that's pretty normal to be honest. 

The system we play does not require high intensity pressing, so fitness should never be an issue really. Having watched Leeds, it's when we play theose scrotes that we'll see what our own squads fitness is like. 

It’s not flipping Ramadan 

They can drink as much water as they like!

• Haha 1