Fitness?

It’s a good job Carlos isn’t here and we’ve done a proper preseason as a result otherwise we would be struggling against the likes of Hull and Wigan. 

We could easily have conceded 5 against both and Brentford will rip us apart. 

Edited by vulva
  • Haha 2

They are fit but no fitter than either team they've played. 

In other words about right for a professional football team. 

I reckon Pudil will do a Loovens this season though. 

What was not professional yesterday was FF still messing about with his daughter on his shoulders literally up to two seconds of kick off. 

21 minutes ago, dowls said:

Yes the team kept going right to the end .. 2 games in and the question isn’t relevant .. but you got an answer.

Now put the stirring spoon down.

Of course it's relevant given how much has been made of our lack of fitness under CC.

I'm not even going to comment on your last sentence.

43 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

They are fit but no fitter than either team they've played. 

In other words about right for a professional football team. 

I reckon Pudil will do a Loovens this season though. 

What was not professional yesterday was FF still messing about with his daughter on his shoulders literally up to two seconds of kick off. 

Did not see FF doing that. Astonished.

FF good in second half but a bit of showing off made me suspicious in current circumstances.

Ironic he was in he team to see Fletcher's misses after the coming to work on a bike saga two years ago,

I thought Wednesday were much fitter than Hull. Some of Hull defence  and midfield seemed to slow down

The defence has been ripped apart twice by 2 teams who will be bottom 6. We should have been 2 down in 5 minutes yesterday. 

People confuse negativity with honesty. When we play a decent side the reality will hit home. 

As others have said, without having the sports science data we simply cannot tell yet whether they are fitter at this stage, maybe Jos will show us all the blood lactate readings though!

Something that is relevant and we can 'see' for ourselves is the players body composition, which is usually a strong indicator to fitness levels too when it comes to power/endurance sports. Reach, FF and fletch all lifted their shirts, i'd say only Fletch looked close to the numbers in this paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19847685

Another thing, Reach was gulping water down from 20 minutes in, FF was asking a crowd member for her water around 75 mins and Fletch was looking at the bench for 10 minutes before he went off (which shows his endurance still needs work), those are all just things i picked up from watching specific players and probably something Jos and his team should be keeping an eye on . Overall, i think some of the players will be really fit, others probably not as fit as they should be. But that's pretty normal to be honest. 

The system we play does not require high intensity pressing, so fitness should never be an issue really. Having watched Leeds, it's when we play theose scrotes that we'll see what our own squads fitness is like. 

• Like 1