Time to sacrifice a star or two

The problem for me is that even if we cash in on FF and Bazzle to lift the embargo, for example, we can't have any confidence that the players we'd bring in would be any good.

Those two were brought in before Chansiri decided to do it "his way".

Unless there is someone advising him it's useless.

We'd simply buy in more bobbage.

There comes a time when the football club will make a decision (player wise) that will be controversial and upset a lot but when you look at how shackled we are with FFP and the glaring and obvious deficiencies of the team, it inevitably has to happen. 

We are woefully short at fullback, CB and still have no real winger with pace. It’s the same arguments every season but still never gets addressed. 

12 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

There comes a time when the football club will make a decision (player wise) that will be controversial and upset a lot but when you look at how shackled we are with FFP and the glaring and obvious deficiencies of the team, it inevitably has to happen. 

We are woefully short at fullback, CB and still have no real winger with pace. It’s the same arguments every season but still never gets addressed. 

Spot on, but once they're gone and the siege has lifted we'll need to sign more players.

Do you trust Chansiri to do that?

I wouldn't trust him to go to the bar and buy a packet of crisps.

• Haha 2

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

There is an argument for it, but it would stick in my craw if we ended up selling Forestieri, while subsidising the catalyst for all of this down at Norwich

When you consider that JR's fee was estimated by some at £6m spread over 4 years plus a couple of million in addons (which look increasingly unlikely to become payable) his cost last year might well have cost us C£3m. Given the c£20m we lost overall then its clear that the financial predicament goes way, way deeper than that one transaction. There's some huge earners that really need getting off the books but unlike Westwood and JR (for this season) you wonder who the takers will be for most of them given the wedges they're earning here.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

14 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The problem for me is that even if we cash in on FF and Bazzle to lift the embargo, for example, we can't have any confidence that the players we'd bring in would be any good.

Those two were brought in before Chansiri decided to do it "his way".

Unless there is someone advising him it's useless.

We'd simply buy in more bobbage.

Very good point. 

Its all well and good having more money to spend but if our past transgressions are repeated we will be in a greater mess. 

We need someone who knows the British market and a good wheeler dealer. I don’t know if directors of football have this responsibility but it’s been mentioned before. 

Critical that Lee and Hooper are brought back fully fit and raring to go. It’s still a good squad and even if we sell outfield players are there still going to be good loan deals out there. If it were me managing I’d go poo or bust attacking formations because it’s

going to come off a few times in the season (hopefully more than a few) settle the back three (Hutch, Lees, Pudil) , ship Palmer out to Barnsley, ( Boyd, Pelupessy/Jones, Bannan, Reach) then (Joao, Fletcher, Forestieri)  These are our best players at the moment given injuries etc. and they should carry us through any rough times. I think the fans might appreciate a more fluid attacking style rather than this cautious start approach we’ve been getting for the last year. Sounds like we could have nicked a draw today with the chance at the end and that would put a whole different complexion on it. If Westwood isn’t going anywhere he ought to be on the pitch, offers invaluable experience for me.:biggrin:

Sell Bannan . Goals and assists rrcord is poor. Fans like his all action style but there is little end product. Would always pick a fit Lee in front of him. If FF plays behind a front 2 then there is no real place for him in the team without unbalancing the whole midfield. Sadly he seems to lack that edge once near or in the box.

13 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Very good point. 

Its all well and good having more money to spend but if our past transgressions are repeated we will be in a greater mess. 

We need someone who knows the British market and a good wheeler dealer. I don’t know if directors of football have this responsibility but it’s been mentioned before. 

The problem is that Chansiri always likes foreign managers who're ignorant of such things.

32 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Ok today’s result is still raw but if we really are as poor as some suggest with the defence taking the lions share of criticism then with 45 games still to go and given the financial situation is it time to sacrifice a star player?

We all know Westwood is going but I’m talking trying to recoup 10-20 million with a couple of player sales. 

I know it will hurt like f**k but if we sold Reach and Forestieri say for 15 million plus, might we be able to bring in 4 or 5 good players loans or or permanent transfers and re-build this team?

The only problem we have is now it’s known we are effectively under an embargo, clubs will try and have our pants down for our players. It’s a real mess right now isn’t it?

I think the chairman will do whatever he can to recoup losses. He is not interested in the fans and therefore it's now purely about income before he sells up. This is not a reaction to an entirely predictable result. He is alienating fans on a daily basis and everything points to him just wanting income. And no, not income for player purchases.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
18 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Spot on, but once they're gone and the siege has lifted we'll need to sign more players.

Do you trust Chansiri to do that?

Key point.

No.

12 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

If we sell FF we may as well pack in.

We might just scrape by without Bannan but only if Reach played cm.

No one would want to buy Reach for the money we want.

In truth they probably all have to stay.

We simply cannot sell Fernando, he represents our main hope of progress Others like Westwood, and Reach, for different reasons, may be possibilities

19 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

If we sell FF we may as well pack in.

We might just scrape by without Bannan but only if Reach played cm.

No one would want to buy Reach for the money we want.

In truth they probably all have to stay.

I get what you are saying but if we were offered 15m for FF whether it’s 8m up front with add ons, might we be able to secure 3 top

loan players to plug those awful holes we have?

At some point we are going to get bids for FF. he scored today and is probably on the radar of one or two clubs. With every passing month his value drops (28 now) and 2 years left on his contract? 

Its all well and good if in January he’s on 10-12 goals but we are mid or lower table and we end up flogging him for 5 million to fecking Derby. If the consensus is all players have their price, then might it be best to do it now while we have 45 games and another window to work with?

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

If there is an embargo, surely the embargo is not simply on buying but on selling players as well?  I honestly don't know.

As for 'blue and white' s  suggestion about getting rid of DC, it may be as well, but remember one small point He IS Sheffield Wednesday. We may not like it, bt unless he decides and can find a buyer, we're stuck.