Time to sacrifice a star or two

Lads .... were under a transfer embargo what’s the point in selling players when we won’t be allowed to buy replacements ??? 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
12 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Lads .... were under a transfer embargo what’s the point in selling players when we won’t be allowed to buy replacements ??? 

None and I'd be discussing with the EFL ways of getting round this to the benefit of club and fidelity of the rules.

16 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I don’t think that’s how it works. 

You have to prove to the EFL that you can get under the permitted losses. If you sell a player for 5m and buy one for 2 million (not patronising) then you have technically reduced your debt by 3 million (wages permitting) which might get you back under the limits. 

I may well be incorrect on that but surely it’s just a simple balancing of the books?

25 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The problem is that Chansiri always likes foreign managers who're ignorant of such things.

He’d have done better to let them recruit in the markets that they know best Make no mistake, our recruitment, as shambolic as its been, probably has very little to do with the managers

If the rumours of us being under an embargo are true, then we really should have looked to sell some of our prize assets at the beginning of the summer, invested in the areas which desperately need attention and balance the books... Isn't this what football clubs do? I don't think for a second it would be popular, but running a football club really isn't a popularity contest.

I find it nothing short of bizarre that the chairman is quite happy to upset fans over ticket/membership prices and local radio coverage, but (apparently) sought to please them with the Rhodes signing and hasn't wanted to sell any players as not to "break up the family".

As it is, we currently have the worst of all worlds; sky high prices, an unmanageable wage bill, no way of bringing in new players and not a chance in hell of gaining maximum value for any we may choose to sell.

Some really tough decisions should have been made in May, it's almost certainly too late to make them now.

Guest Bulgaria
37 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Spot on, but once they're gone and the siege has lifted we'll need to sign more players.

Do you trust Chansiri to do that?

I wouldn't trust him to go to the bar and buy a packet of crisps.

If he did buy some crisps they would be past their best but would have cost a fortune and be all smashed up.

26 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I get what you are saying but if we were offered 15m for FF whether it’s 8m up front with add ons, might we be able to secure 3 top

loan players to plug those awful holes we have?

At some point we are going to get bids for FF. he scored today and is probably on the radar of one or two clubs. With every passing month his value drops (28 now) and 2 years left on his contract? 

Its all well and good if in January he’s on 10-12 goals but we are mid or lower table and we end up flogging him for 5 million to fecking Derby. If the consensus is all players have their price, then might it be best to do it now while we have 45 games and another window to work with?

I agree that we could sell him and plug the gaps.

The only problem is we'd need to sign a CB, LB, RB and then a replacement for FF with that money. I don't think it would stretch that far.

Also if we sold him then the efl said you're still under the embargo which would be likely, then we've just flogged our most creative outlet for nowt.

18 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

If the rumours of us being under an embargo are true, then we really should have looked to sell some of our prize assets at the beginning of the summer, invested in the areas which desperately need attention and balance the books... Isn't this what football clubs do? I don't think for a second it would be popular, but running a football club really isn't a popularity contest.

I find it nothing short of bizarre that the chairman is quite happy to upset fans over ticket/membership prices and local radio coverage, but (apparently) sought to please them with the Rhodes signing and hasn't wanted to sell any players as not to "break up the family".

As it is, we currently have the worst of all worlds; sky high prices, an unmanageable wage bill, no way of bringing in new players and not a chance in hell of gaining maximum value for any we may choose to sell.

Some really tough decisions should have been made in May, it's almost certainly too late to make them now.

We are in a mess, completely avoidable. It falls at the feet of one man. 

I've never felt so disengaged with my club than this present time. Assuming the players and coach are doing their best, this falls at the feet of one man.

I now understand why fans campaign to get rid of chairmen, although I don't think that would make a blind bit of difference to the current incumbent.

21 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

If he did buy some crisps they would be past their best but would have cost a fortune and be all smashed up.

Reminds me of a story about a screwed up banknote.

:Chansiri:

Or or is the fans that are getting screwed ?

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs