Hutchinson at CB

I don’t see Jos leaving Joey out.

I don’t see him and Hutch both playing in midfield.

So will Hutch actually be first choice in midfield?

I wasn’t as impressed as some with his performances at centre back, saw Chris O’Grady bully him at Burton but given where we are now I would prefer him on the right of a back three with Lees in the middle than the alternative of Lees on the right.

We don’t have anybody else at the moment 

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I don’t see Jos leaving Joey out.

I don’t see him and Hutch both playing in midfield.

So will Hutch actually be first choice in midfield?

I wasn’t as impressed as some with his performances at centre back, saw Chris O’Grady bully him at Burton but given where we are now I would prefer him on the right of a back three with Lees in the middle than the alternative of Lees on the right.

We don’t have anybody else at the moment 

No I can’t see him playing in midfield, especially if it’s a two For me, if he plays at the back, it’s either him or Lees, not both Neither are great in the air, and to play both alongside Pudil, would be asking for trouble in my opinion

Can you imagine if next season. 

Hutchinson is at centre back

Reach is left wing back

Lee is Right wing back

Forestieri plays cutting in from the left.

We wanted Rhodes. We got him.

Wanted him gone. Got that too.

Does this mean we would actually be running the team.

lol

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No I can’t see him playing in midfield, especially if it’s a two For me, if he plays at the back, it’s either him or Lees, not both Neither are great in the air, and to play both alongside Pudil, would be asking for trouble in my opinion

I sure I remember one game where hutch didn't miss a header. he better than he gets credit for.

16 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I sure I remember one game where hutch didn't miss a header. he better than he gets credit for.

Yes, he’s a decent defender Seem to remember a lot of six yard box headers being conceded by Lees and Hutchinson though

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

We don’t have anybody better than Lees in the air so not sure what you mean.

Unless Nielsen is going to step up and him and Lees in back 3 would make us very immobile. Nielsen is big, not seen enough of him to know how good he is in air.

But Lees will definitely play and do he should. Made a massive difference when he came back last season 

Edited by oldishowl

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

We don’t have anybody better than Lees in the air so not sure what you mean.

Unless Nielsen is going to step up and him and Lees in back 3 would make us very immobile. Nielsen is big, not seen enough of him to know how good he is in air.

But Lees will definitely play and do he should. Made a massive difference when he came back last season 

We don’t, and that’s a bit of an issue He’s a very good defender, we just need to find him the right partner Could be Van Aken, I don’t know, I haven’t seen enough of him 

More than happy for Hutchinson to stand in for Lees if needed though

He got less cards but his lack of height and stature meant we gave a lot of set piece goals away if I remember rightly, he filled in OK but wasn't amazing and would much rather see him playing in CM, just my 2p but he's not top of the championship material at CB.

Si

7 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Has Bully been telling Jos how well Hutch played at CB at the start of the season before last?

Advantages are:

- Its less physically demanding and so he should have less chance of getting injured

- He got far fewer bookings when playing there than as a ball winner further up the pitch

- He's got a great football brain and sniffs out danger there

- In the middle of a back three he could really bring the ball out well like Stones in the WC

I think the only real reason we moved him back to CM (against Fulham away wasn't it?) is that we had no one else who could do his job in CM, but now we have Pelupessy.

So isn't it time to give this a try? 

Cant be relied on . Either an injury waiting to happen or a walking red card. 

Theres less running at cb, dont think hes ever been injured there for us and gets less cards, could easily match or improve on venancio there and offer better leadership.

Probably finished as a season long 90min cm tho, especially in a middle 2, would just keep suffering setbacks and getting cards imo.

Edited by Ash77

Ability wise he should be a first choice at either CB or midfield.

Unfortunately his perpetual fitness issues mean that he can't be relied on to be a first choice in a settled team. 

So for me his role has to be as back up for CB or Pelupessy.

7 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

This would be interesting to analyse.  I only remember the one against Bristol City at home and I'm sure he was playing CM then.

He was playing CB. However, in typical Hutch style he tripped up in the penalty area and then tried to tackle the Bristol player with his head. Oops. 

we need a right sided centre half. Potentially he's one of the best in the division in that position imo- you won't find many better in possession at this level and he can defend too.

Fitness is the overriding issue but if you play him in midfield it's more disruptive when he's in and out of the team than it would be if he's missing games as a defender imo.

I'd also agree with the theory he's less likely to get injured/suspended playing at the back.