3-4-3 or 3-5-2

My own personal view is that it will be along the lines of 3-4-2-1 used by Jos next season. 

Why?

He's not renowned for playing two out and out strikers and is known to be more conservative. With the options he has available to him at the back, it doesn't cry out flat back four because we don't have full backs who are good enough defensively. This has forced his hand slightly and I feel is the reason we play three CBs and now wing backs. 

The two in CM will include a ball winner and playmaker and for this reason I doubt we'll see the likes of Bannan and Lee together. The two behind a lone striker should have pace and industry and one should be Forestieri.

Now don't shoot me down here but I firmly believe that we haven't got the ideal candidate at the club to play the lone striker role in the way that Jos would like. Yes Nuhiu can probably play it and so can Hooper or Fletcher but they're not ideal. If only we could get Wickham back or a player of his ilk.

So for me it's the following.

Westwood

Lees NEW Van Aken

NEW Pelupessy Bannan Reach

NEW Forestieri

NEW

If we don't bring in new additions for the four spots then I think Hutchinson, Lee, Joao and Hooper could easily do a job in the shorter term.

Edited by Junk Smuggler

1 minute ago, Junk Smuggler said:

My own personal view is that it will be along the lines of 3-4-2-1 used by Jos next season. 

Why?

He's not renowned for playing two out and out strikers and is known to be more conservative. With the options he has available to him at the back, it doesn't cry out flat back four because we don't have full backs who are good enough defensively. This has forced his hand slightly and I feel is the reason we play three CBs and now wing backs. 

The two in CM will include a ball winner and playmaker and for this reason I doubt we'll see the likes of Bannan and Lee together. The two behind a lone striker should have pace and industry and one should be Forestieri.

Now don't shoot me down here but I firmly believe that we haven't got the ideal candidate at the club to play the lone striker role in the way that Jos would like. Yes Nuhiu can probably play it and so can Fletcher but they're not ideal. If o lay we could get Wickham back or a player of his ilk.

Westwood

Lees NEW Van Aken

NEW Forestieri

NEW

If we don't bring in new additions for the four spots then I think Hutchinson, Lee, Joao and Hooper could easily do a job in the shorter term.

Agree this will be the formation and agree we need a right wing back, centre half and support striker.  However,  I really hope we don’t go for a central striker. Hooper, Dave and Fletcher can all do it. Hooper played as a lone central striker in an attacking 3 when playing for Celtic. He’s good enough to play that position. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

depends which third of the pitch we are in...

5-3-2 -> 3-5-2 -> 3-2-4

Its all about the transition, didn't you learn anything from :manager:

Joking apart, this is absolutely true! (apart from playing with 10)

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

depends which third of the pitch we are in...

5-3-2 -> 3-5-2 -> 3-2-4

Its all about the transition, didn't you learn anything from :manager:

I suppose we transition to the last one when Hutch gets sent off. lol

• Haha 2

We have a degree of flexibility within the squad, so perhaps we won’t always play the same way However, for the most part, we will set up in a certain way, and stick to it We are a mid table championship side, and it would be asking too much for players at that level to keep switching roles

I’m not totally sold on 3 at the back It seems like a compromise and doesn’t really suit the players we have Maybe Jos has seen something in it that he feels will work for us going forward, but  a lack of quality wing backs holds us back

Whatever system we use, Forestieri will be our key man, in an attacking sense at least He has to play up front though

That Norwich game wetted my appetite for three up front, but all three forwards have to be able to interchange with each other If we want to play with a front three, and also use three at the back, we might then struggle to control games, especially against the better sides 

A back four would enable us to play three across the middle, meaning we could control the tempo of games 

The other option I suppose, would be to sacrifice one of the forwards, and play  a 3-5-2 system Maybe Forestieri playing just behind Nuhiu Would that give us enough goals though? Nuhiu was excellent last year, but he isn’t really a prolific scorer, so it would need Forestieri to perhaps score 15-20 goals, something that he is capable of doing 

Looking at the squad as it stands, we have only two recognised centre backs with experience, and no obvious wing backs We do though, have an abundance of midfield players All of which, begs the question, why does Jos persist with a back three? I can only assume, that he intends to play that way, and there will be the players coming in to make that system work 

Edited by gurujuan

21 hours ago, DesWalker said:

Westwood

Hutchinson  Lees  Pudil

Boyd                                     Reach

Pelupessy Bannan

Joao                               FF

Nuhiu

that would be my line up , iIF  we can get lee & hooper back to fitness with them 2 on the bench i'd back us to give anyone in this divison a good game 

442 is best.its the easiest formation toy play. Wednesday don't have the quality to play the managers daft formations. 

Keep it simple. Man City don't mess around with daft formations and look how they play. 

Above all, whatever formation we play, it must be consistently the same. 

Last season the team didn't know where they were playing because the manager kept changing it every game. 

Find one and stick to it. 

442 is most effective with largely mediocre players. 

Players like reach are good enough to think for themselves. So give them the freedom to do so. Trust them and they will deliver. 

Sadly our manager has a history of managing teams who play dour negative boring football. That makes it difficult to fit players like reach in. 

Three at the back leaves a team exposed to the ball over the top. Lincoln tore us apart down the flanks because they exploited the space. 

Three at the back is a risk with a team like Wednesday who cant exactly read the game. They stand still a lot and you can't do that with three at the back or three in midfield. 

Sorry the site won't let me edit the last post. 

Just to add that if we player three or five at the back we can't accommodate reach out wide. 

He's hopeless as a left back and ineffective as a winger. Therefore if he plays as midfield wingback England style he leaves a hole behind him for the ball over or through. Why? Simply because he's not and never will be an effective left back. The use of reach will be pivotal this season as he's actually got real talent. I suspect forestieri will leave soon. If not he may sulk again. 

Therfore we are left with reach as our main source of inspiration. 

In that event his talent and vision can only be maximised in a 442 formation. 

12 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Westwood

Lees NEW Van Aken

NEW Forestieri

NEW

Sorry to break it to you mate, but there's no chance we're signing 4 first-team starters in this window and certainly won't be signing another striker (do we even need to?!) with so many on the books.

I reckon we'll sign a CB and a WB max.

1 hour ago, Mrmason69 said:

Sorry the site won't let me edit the last post. 

Just to add that if we player three or five at the back we can't accommodate reach out wide. 

He's hopeless as a left back and ineffective as a winger. Therefore if he plays as midfield wingback England style he leaves a hole behind him for the ball over or through. Why? Simply because he's not and never will be an effective left back. The use of reach will be pivotal this season as he's actually got real talent. I suspect forestieri will leave soon. If not he may sulk again. 

Therfore we are left with reach as our main source of inspiration. 

In that event his talent and vision can only be maximised in a 442 formation. 

Sorry mate, I don't normally disagree with people without giving explanation, but I think in the last year or so the one thing that almost all everybody on here have agreed on, is that 4-4-2 just didn't work for us in the end. More importantly we haven't recruited anybody to address why it didn't work for us and neither are we likely to.

One aspect of Jos that I think is worth considering.  He's not trying to push a philosophy or shoe horn players.  He looks like he is good at appraising what he has and making a formation and style of play that fits them. 

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Sorry to break it to you mate, but there's no chance we're signing 4 first-team starters in this window and certainly won't be signing another striker (do we even need to?!) with so many on the books.

I reckon we'll sign a CB and a WB max.

Sad but probably true.

On 17/07/2018 at 09:36, beloved_aunt said:

It seems pretty clear that we'll be playing with wing backs this season, which I think makes given our squad balance.

Its just a question of how we line up further forward.  Do you think we look more balanced as a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3?

Comes down to opposition and how the game's going.

You'd suspect we'd play 352 against the better sides, and 343 against the weaker ones that we're confident of putting to the sword.

Both have flexibility..

352 can become 541 if we need to shut up shop, or 3232 if we're going for it.

343 can also drop to 541, but has less room for change when overloading. It's inherently more attacking to start with tho, so not particularly worried there.

We probably "look" better as 343 as we all like nice attacking football and the front 3 often links up well together. But how we look doesn't ultimately matter. It's a results game in this league. Let's stabilise in the Prem, before we worry about looking as pretty as possible. ;)

The key to a successful formation is to be able to adapt to play any opposition. England lost because they failed to adapt to changes in formation Croatia made at half time. Towards end of last season one of most encouraging signs for me was we showed some ability to change shape mid game and did this more than once in a game.

Clear indication of a good coach.