3-4-3 or 3-5-2

4 minutes ago, torres said:

Like England it worked for what we needed at the time - time to move on though in my opinion 

4-3-3

I feel a little bit like this We also have similar issues to England An unbalanced back three and a makeshift left wing back 

The system meant that England lacked creativity, and we may find the same happens with us

We have the players to play 3 at the back. We don't have what's required to play with a back four. Jos worked that out pretty quickly and we got better and better as the players became more accustomed to it. 

The key will be to get Van Aken fit. He gives us the balance and the ability to bring the ball out from the back and join midfield. 

36 minutes ago, torres said:

Like England it worked for what we needed at the time - time to move on though in my opinion 

4-3-3

28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I feel a little bit like this We also have similar issues to England An unbalanced back three and a makeshift left wing back 

The system meant that England lacked creativity, and we may find the same happens with us

In principle I agree, 4-3-3 is my favourite system and allows a team to control the game.

Our front six in such a formation would be ace:

Hutchinson/Pelupessy

Lee/Reach                             Bannan

Joao/Boyd                                            Forestierii/Matias

Hooper/Nuhiu

But the back four wouldn't look anything like as impressive.  We've not really go a partner for Lees who is good enough and don't really have a RB or LB good enough either.  Having 3 at the back (or 5 when defending) helps to cover this up a bit (England took a similar decision because there's no real natural CB partnership or good enough LB there either).

Remember the two times we played with a 4 under Jos (BC away and QPR away) we got absolutely spanked (I was at both, still got the scars) so unless we sign some quality upgrades at the back I think this is the way we're gonna have to go. 

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Read Jos’s latest comments re Forestieri having a free role that allows him to go wide.

Seems to me he’ll be playing behind a front two ( Nuhiu & Joao initially at least) in a fluid 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2. Thus providing attacking creativity. There’s Kieran Lee to come back eventuallly and we must surely get some games out of Matias this season.

Unless you have a centre back equally at ease with either foot in the middle it always favours right footers or left footers in a 3.

Its the very nature and problem of that system. The most ‘two footed’ of the 3 will need to go in the centre. Hope Jos gets it right. Personally I’d put Hutch there, but what do I know.

left wing back however is a concern and will be very interested to see how Jos goes about solving that problem. We have been poor at stopping crosses into our box in recent seasons,

Westwood

Hutchinson  Lees  Pudil

Boyd                                     Reach

Pelupessy Bannan

Joao                               FF

Nuhiu

• Like 1

Just now, DesWalker said:

Westwood

Hutchinson  Lees  Pudil

Boyd                                     Reach

Pelupessy Bannan

Joao                               FF

Nuhiu

I think this is almost right.  But in this system your only width comes from the WBs who overlap, so you really have to have a right footer at RWB if possible I think, so I would take out Boyd.

2 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I think this is almost right.  But in this system your only width comes from the WBs who overlap, so you really have to have a right footer at RWB if possible I think, so I would take out Boyd.

Agree, but I think he's our best option at RWB as it currently stands.  IMO I think Jos will look to strengthen here, regardless of what he has said in the press recently.

1 minute ago, DesWalker said:

Agree, but I think he's our best option at RWB as it currently stands.  IMO I think Jos will look to strengthen here, regardless of what he has said in the press recently.

Yeah, always surprised how seriously people take these interviews.  Its not like he's going to come out and go "yes I've been told I've got £750k to spend in transfer fees and £20k per week in wages and we're prioritising a wing back, we spoke to West Ham about Byram and they said they'd give us an answer by August as they wait on another deal, our back up options in this position are ..."

We'll find out when we find out. 

I would like us to go 4-3-3. But we need a top notch centre half to partner Lees and potentially 2 full backs.

I really want us to go with 3 up front as it suits us. But, I also like a midfield 3 so we have control. Problem is you need good defenders and we need to address it sharpish.

8 hours ago, Blatter said:

Read Jos’s latest comments re Forestieri having a free role that allows him to go wide.

Seems to me he’ll be playing behind a front two ( Nuhiu & Joao initially at least) in a fluid 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2. Thus providing attacking creativity. There’s Kieran Lee to come back eventuallly and we must surely get some games out of Matias this season.

Unless you have a centre back equally at ease with either foot in the middle it always favours right footers or left footers in a 3.

Its the very nature and problem of that system. The most ‘two footed’ of the 3 will need to go in the centre. Hope Jos gets it right. Personally I’d put Hutch there, but what do I know.

left wing back however is a concern and will be very interested to see how Jos goes about solving that problem. We have been poor at stopping crosses into our box in recent seasons,

It’s what I’ve always said, play him as part of a front three with licence to roam In fact a few of us have been suggesting the front three, before Jos employed it Something like in that Norwich game, where the three of them interchanged The thing with Forestieri, he will run beyond the other two, as he did for his goal against Norwich when intercepting the back pass, He will also drop back into the midfield area to pick up the ball, and will constantly run the channels trying to stretch the defence He is invaluable for the way we want to play

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s what I’ve always said, play him as part of a front three with licence to roam In fact a few of us have been suggesting the front three, before Jos employed it Something like in that Norwich game, where the three of them interchanged The thing with Forestieri, he will run beyond the other two, as he did for his goal against Norwich when intercepting the back pass, He will also drop back into the midfield area to pick up the ball, and will constantly run the channels trying to stretch the defence He is invaluable for the way we want to play

I really want us to go with a front 3 next season - any variation. Ideally with FF, Joao or another pace option that we may sign and a central striker either Hooper, Dave or Fletcher. Variation is the key.

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I really want us to go with a front 3 next season - any variation. Ideally with FF, Joao or another pace option that we may sign and a central striker either Hooper, Dave or Fletcher. Variation is the key.

Plus if he can stay fit, it’s ideal for Matias