Bannan - with and without

This season without Bannan:-

Pl 18. W2. D5. L11. GF15. GA31. Pts 11.       

Equates to a reacord-breaking 28 point season. Rock bottom.

This season with Bannan:-

Pl. 28. W12. D10. L6. GF44. GA29. Pts. 46. 

Equates to a 75/76 point season, pipping Derby for 6th.

(Takes into account him coming on at nil-nil away to Leeds, and going off at nil-nil home to Fulham).

A hugely important player for our success next season. He gets 3 months R&R now, to get over any old and new niggles. He is clearly going to play his best position under Jos. 

I never think one player is the difference, and as Ive often said, the “build your team around x,y or z” is nonesense, but Bannan, like Lees, like Forestieri, like Reach, is a hugely pivotal part of what could be a very strong promotion push next season.

• Like 1

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

This season without Bannan:-

Pl 18. W2. D5. L11. GF15. GA31. Pts 11.       

Equates to a reacord-breaking 28 point season. Rock bottom.

This season with Bannan:-

Pl. 28. W12. D10. L6. GF44. GA29. Pts. 46. 

Equates to a 75/76 point season, pipping Derby for 6th.

(Takes into account him coming on at nil-nil away to Leeds, and going off at nil-nil home to Fulham).

A hugely important player for our success next season. He gets 3 months R&R now, to get over any old and new niggles. He is clearly going to play his best position under Jos. 

I never think one player is the difference, and as Ive often said, the “build your team around x,y or z” is nonesense, but Bannan, like Lees, like Forestieri, like Reach, is a hugely pivotal part of what could be a very strong promotion push next season.

Agreed and add in Nuhiu.

1 hour ago, Animal said:

Next seasons captain ? 

Not for me, Bannan should not have that responsibility on his shoulders it may affect his game. 

Tom Lees will be new club captain. 

Bannan really was excellent yesterday, although when he is playing with Pelupessy we are so light weight. 

Edited by Owls2k

I think you could do similar analysis for other players and come up with similar results.

Cba to do the work, I'll leave that for Holmowl, but Nuhui would probably have us in autos, Lees/Fred, similar to Bannan?, Westwood, bottom half so get rid.

The quartert of Bannan, Forestieri, Nuhiu and Joao are extremely inventive and effective in possession. They clearly enjoy playing together and are on the same wavelength.

Looking forward Hooper can come in for any of the front three and join in the fun with minimal tweaking to the formation. Matias offers something a little different. Fletcher and Rhodes can only play if Adthe doesn't in the current set up.

Delivery and defensive solidity in the WB position is going to be key. Both Reach and Hunt offer one but not the other IMO, although I'd say Hunt is almost there defensively. Reach is just not a defender, and if we do go with him at WB The centre halves are going to have to have storming seasons of we're to achieve anything- either that or we're going to have to score 80+ goals.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, zico.b said:

Bannan is usually the difference, in my opinion. I'm not normally one for stats, but those quoted are night and day.

As for who should be appointed captain? It really shouldn't matter. There should be enough understanding between the players that the captain's role is purely one to win the coin throw.

UTO.

The Captains role extends beyond just match days. The Captain helps instill the discipline within the club. Loovens controlled the players fine pool for indiscipline and did a very good job at it by all accounts.

1 hour ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Would be interesting to see how Bazza with Joey compares to without.  I’m not sure about Joey but he does seem to do a lot of the dirty work that allows Bazza to play his own game.  

Think Joey was brilliant yesterday. They are starting to click as a pair.

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

Not for me, Bannan should not have that responsibility on his shoulders it may affect his game. 

Tom Lees will be new club captain. 

Bannan really was excellent yesterday, although when he is playing with Pelupessy we are so light weight. 

We have played 9 games with Joey and Bannan, winning 7 and drawing 2.

We were also drawing with Fulham when Bannan went off.

Many fans said/say that Bannan-Lee is too lightweight, ignoring the facts, that Our results with those two have been better than any other pairing.

Given my love of a stat (you don’t say?!) I watched Moneyball again last night. Interesting to hear the old-school scouts using phrases like “he doesn’t look the part”, but ignoring what really counts, results.

Personally, I am far from convinced by Joey. IMO Lee is twice the player and even Jones is better. However, Jos has played him 17 times out of 18 since he signed, during which time he has played every single minute. Jos clearly sees a lot in Joey and certainly I am never one to argue against results, and our record with Bannan and Joey in the side is remarkable.

46 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

I'm not going to say he's irreplaceable, but I can't think of anyone who does what he does better.

Question I was asked yesterday...

Did Clough really say “I’m not going to say Im the best manager in the World, but Im in the top one.” Or is it a myth/Yarwood?