TRANSFER NEWS: #SWFC ‘have made an approach’ for fast-emerging Sunderland talent

If we are looking at signing GH then I am thrilled that we have dropped our old for new policy of getting highly over paid older players into the club with more to offer in terms of keeping our sickbay busy, than in worrying the defences of our opposition. The only drawback is that he would be joining Bannan and Pelupessy in our oversubscribed under 5ft 7" midfield club.

7 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

If we are looking at signing GH then I am thrilled that we have dropped our old for new policy of getting highly over paid older players into the club with more to offer in terms of keeping our sickbay busy, than in worrying the defences of our opposition. The only drawback is that he would be joining Bannan and Pelupessy in our oversubscribed under 5ft 7" midfield club.

Joey Pelupessy is about half a foot taller than Bannan lol 

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

This. Exactly my thought's. I really don't understand why we keep signing small, weak players that are the opposite of athletic? We need some power, size and strength in the middle. We also desperately need some pace on the wings. It's really not rocket science is it. Look at Fulham, quick fullbacks and wingers, bit of quality in the middle and a big lump up top. Get the ball to the pacey wingers and cross the ball. Rinse and repeat.

We seem to have the slowest players in the league, along with the smallest and weakest lol.

Edited by Sticky belly

49 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Yeah Forestieri is class, but you cannot have 3 dwarves in your midfield if you want to be a successful championship club for me.

I agree, sort of, but don't think Honeyman means we won't sign a more combative presence as well.

Bannan

Pelupessey

Honeyman

Hutchinson

New "Beast" Signing

5 into 3, jobs a good 'un.

Not sure we'll see Lee again. Isn't he about ready for the knackers yard? 

4 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments, Dewsbury, but having he pedigree to play at U23 International level is certainly NOT a proof of ability to cut it in the Championship, a league that even proven Premiership players find difficult. natural goalscorers are certainly worth more than gold, but the point I have tried to make over the last few months is :- It is virtually certain that Hirst is not going to change his mind, and if so it's like us worrying that we haven't signed Lionel Messi yet. Why worry about something that is not going to happen. We have enough to worry about. We might as well write off the man, and move on. 

Yes I know , just find it sad we couldn’t keep him .Will watch his progression with interest , good luck to the Lad. 

On 4/23/2018 at 17:04, frastheowl said:

I don't know too much about him, but there's a few encouraging signs that our transfer strategy seems to be changing.

1.) Targeting players early. We've been far too passive in recent seasons, not been proactive enough and seen other teams sign our targets before we've even begun talks with the club or player. 

2.) Good age. Jos has spoken about bringing the age of the squad down, and Honeyman is a great age. 22 years old, he's still got three or four years before reaching his "peak." He's proven he's capable of playing a lot of games in a season (44 games so far this season), and so won't come with any doubts regarding his injury or fitness record. 

3.) Experience. Although only young, he's got over 50 games under his belt, with half a dozen in the Premier League. We have been gushing about Sean Clare, but despite been a similar age, he's less games in professional football, and the majority at lower levels. 

4.) Potential/Sell on value. He should be an affordable signing. Sunderland will have a For Sale tag on every player on their books, and a player out of contract in a years time, will be particularly available for transfer. Even a fee of up to a £1m could be a relative bargain. In a couple of seasons time, a 24 year old English midfielder playing consistently well in a Championship (or, unlikely I know, Premiership) side, could be worth A LOT of money. 

In terms of the shape of the squad...for me, it's a good indication that Luhukay wants someone to play the role Reach had been playing in the 3-5-2, the runner, the advanced midfielder. Which perhaps indicates he sees Reach as a left wing back next season. And it also perhaps says a lot about his faith in Kieran Lee overcoming his current injury issue. 

Terrific post - this sums up the shift in outlook that needs to happen with us. I accept there's only so much to be gained from picking at isolated examples, but we've chucked £10m at Rhodes and £40k a week at Fletcher (unsettling our best player in the process) and neither signing has got us anywhere. Meanwhile sides like Brentford have been having consistent success on lower budgets, not through signing players who have "been there and done it in the Championship" but through buying the top prospects from the lower leagues (like Ollie Watkins or Ryan Woods), plus well-scouted bargains from abroad (Jozefzoon, Vibe, Jota etc). 

Taking a look at our current squad goes to show what's more effective - who are our best and highest value players? It's not Rhodes, it's players like Reach and Forestieri who we bought at younger ages, for cheaper fees and were given the room to develop and show their ability. Add onto that outright freebies like Tom Lees and it's clear that we're are actually quite good at finding good-value signings, the problems start when we start making the sort of big-money signings that as of now have given us nothing but FFP trouble.

10 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Terrific post - this sums up the shift in outlook that needs to happen with us. I accept there's only so much to be gained from picking at isolated examples, but we've chucked £10m at Rhodes and £40k a week at Fletcher (unsettling our best player in the process) and neither signing has got us anywhere. Meanwhile sides like Brentford have been having consistent success on lower budgets, not through signing players who have "been there and done it in the Championship" but through buying the top prospects from the lower leagues (like Ollie Watkins or Ryan Woods), plus well-scouted bargains from abroad (Jozefzoon, Vibe, Jota etc). 

Taking a look at our current squad goes to show what's more effective - who are our best and highest value players? It's not Rhodes, it's players like Reach and Forestieri who we bought at younger ages, for cheaper fees and were given the room to develop and show their ability. Add onto that outright freebies like Tom Lees and it's clear that we're are actually quite good at finding good-value signings, the problems start when we start making the sort of big-money signings that as of now have given us nothing but FFP trouble.

I understand the point but isnt Adam Reach our second highest big money signing? £5m including addons?