We need to keep hold of this lad big time, he's a complete forward, can do absolutely everything. You don't get capped by Portugal at a young age if you're a mug. I can see some Premier League interest coming in during the summer, still only 24....

Extend his contract.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really coming into his prime now and showing real consistency. He always had the ability we all saw it but only in spells, when he was off he was way off.

Loan spell away last season might have done him the world of good he seems to have toughened up no end and you can see the confidence flowing in him this year. Real player and one we need to be building around at his age.

Hooper, Joao, Nuhiu, Forestieri - that's basically all the forwards you'd ever really need, isn't it? Any combination of those four is pretty much a defender's worst nightmare, at least in theory.

Concentrate on strengthening our fullbacks and midfield ball retention, trim the squad of anyone who isn't 1st choice/1st choice cover or a promising youngster, and we're in pretty good shape IMO.

Not much else needed besides a proper preseason and vaguely normal luck with injuries.

6 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

We need to keep hold of this lad big time, he's a complete forward, can do absolutely everything. You don't get capped by Portugal at a young age if you're a mug. I can see some Premier League interest coming in during the summer, still only 24....

Extend his contract.

As with Dave ,Jos has managed to turn him into a dangerous goalscorer . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYowl said:

we need to tie him down to a longer contract now, don't let it run into next season when the vultures will be hovering.

This is my concern, it's been a long time since we've had a striker capable of everything, strength, heading, pace, skill, quick feet, finishing from anywhere, we can't let him go for for peanuts. 

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Gave him a fair bit of criticism first half of the season (and before). Was far too unproductive and wasteful. Happy that he’s really grown in strength and stature in the last three months. Well done.

Terribly mismanaged by Carlos imo. Never played to his strengths and often wouldn't play him even when he'd performed well the week before. 

Confidence was shot to pieces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry but as usual our fans are fickle. Can people not be realistic? 

The facts are, he is extremely talented but in his 3 years here so far he's only shown this in two fairly short spells in year 1 and now in year 3. I believe he is a good player no doubt. But he's also shown he's completely useless at times. So, what do you do? He's probably not going to make it much higher than this level unless he can be doing it in 35+ games a season and not just 10 games. To be fair it's probably the same for many strikers at this level. 

Just now, S36 OWL said:

As with Dave ,Jos has managed to turn him into a dangerous goalscorer . 

I think Jos has shown complete faith in the pair of them and lifted their confidence massively, that and an extended run in the team was always going to help them. Nuhiu went about 16 months without scoring but the majority of those appearances were 5 minute cameos, never good.

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

The facts are, he is extremely talented but in his 3 years here so far he's only shown this in two fairly short spells in year 1 and now in year 3. I believe he is a good player no doubt. But he's also shown he's completely useless at times. So, what do you do? He's probably not going to make it much higher than this level unless he can be doing it in 35+ games a season and not just 10 games. To be fair it's probably the same for many strikers at this level. 

Unfair, his second season he was out injured while winter, game back low on confidence and unfit, was farmed out to Blackburn on loan a side who got relegated. Whenever he has a run in the team we see the best of him. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Hooper, Joao, Nuhiu, Forestieri - that's basically all the forwards you'd ever really need, isn't it?

Yep, for me that's a really critical element of who you keep and let go. Those four can each give you something different and provide a change during the game if required. I still maintain that even if Nuhiu didn't score he still brings something to the table the way he takes a battering from opposing defenders and takes the focus away from our other players. I think he'd work with any of the other three in an effective partnership. But then I fully admit that I've always liked the guy so I am, perhaps, being biased and singing his praises a little too highly.

Maybe.

:stuwinky:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

I understand that point of view to a degree but surely you can only go on current form. Or do you keep plugging away on a misfiring striker like Rhodes because his past record is good? Also Joao is only 24 so you have to expect some inconsistent performances for his first few years in a new league, country and culture? Not saying he’s the finished article but you’d rather back him to become that showing his current form then write him off I’d think.

15 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Fair comments, but the truth is he is the only one of our front men who has ALL the tools to be a premier league player.  

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

1st season he was raw, young and new to this league, he did fairly well considering.

2nd season the manager showed no confidence in him and he was down the pecking order thanks to new signings who haven't proved to be any better despite being given more of a chance. he did fairly well on loan at Blackburn in a struggling side.

This season again he was pretty much not in the 1st team plans of the manager. The odd time he did play for us last season and this he looked out of sorts and disinterested at times but he rarely got a run in the side and his confidence was low, his main problem was being far too lightweight for his size. 

When given a run in the side and belief from the manager he has looked capable. Even when we have been struggling he looked like the one who could do something different. He is far from the finished article, still makes the wrong decisions too often when he has done the hard work to earn space but he has plenty of ability, is a threat in the air and can score different types of goals. 

6 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Unfair, his second season he was out injured while winter, game back low on confidence and unfit, was farmed out to Blackburn on loan a side who got relegated. Whenever he has a run in the team we see the best of him. 

You say he's got everything has he really ?

His second touch is usually a tackle its abysmal 

He's a talent definitely and is in terrific form but reign it in a bit fella 

• Like 1