Is there a place for religion in football?

1 minute ago, El Wednesday said:

Wednesday fans seemed happy to belt out 'God Save the Queen' at Swansea. I'm not really sure why. 

Annoys the Welsh......sang swing low sweet chariot at Wrexham after england had won the world cup...was like pokin' a wasps nest...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Daniel Sturridge is the worst, i see him pray more times than Abu " the hook, face like a bag of smashed crabs  Hamzer.

I would like to tell Mr Sturridge that his praying dont seem to be working as he has had more injuries than the six million dollar man.

Liverpool may be on to a winner there, just have a couple of true sick notes to have all the injuries for almost all the team, rather than us just having all the team out. 

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think politics and religion should keep out of sport.

Find players crossing themselves, praying to Allah all very cringeworthy and a bit attention seeking.

Couple of teams supporters north of the border would not be happy with that.

Just saying :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Rebowl Yell said:

Yes I think offering ‘faith zones’ in the stadium might help attract ostracised communities to come watch Wednesday at Hillsborough, something like the first 4 or 5 rows of the Kop would be ideal. Would look good on tv too.  

I'm a gnostic dualist, but I'm in row 17. Can the first five rows be for Scottish Methodist and the like and the next twelve for the more spiritualist amongst us. Id be fine sharing with the scientologists?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prince said:

Each to their own, as long as it's not forced down your throat then it's up to the individual as to the faith they follow.

Never forced down my throat, I live in a country where the Monarch is also the head of the church of England. I Live in a country that was ostensibly Catholic but our chag happy King not only rid himself of Papal interference but set about sacking the Abbeys and slaughtering large numbers of the population. King H VIII passed but his son didn't survive beyond his teens. Enter his sister Q Mary, A Catholic nutter. She quickly set about torturing, burning, decapitating and quartering the Protestants. After Q M demise we have endured a long period of Protestant stability if you discount 450 years of unforgiving problems in Ireland and the unscrupulous division in early 20th century.

Other than Celtic/Rangers, Hearts/Hibs and Liverpool/Everton the sectarian battle simmers rather than boils but beyond that I don't see Religion playing any part in my life.

I do though firmly believe that the two key figures Mohamed and Jesus both walked on earth many moons ago. I have a copy of the Bible and one of the Koran which I occasionally use for reference purposes, neither of which have helped with Wednesdays plight this season.   

• Like 2

There is absolutely a place for religion or any other kind of belief in football.

I'm not a follower of any faith myself however I can see that living by a conduct which treats any fellow human being with courtesy and respect is something that is needed in any society the world over.

31 minutes ago, briggowl said:

That's quite an opinion. Well I confess to being weak and needing God in my life. Can you offer anything other than synicsm as an alternative to those who are so weak and believe there might be something more to life? I mean anything? 

No, sorry. Because there's nothing 'out there' imo. No 'higher power'. Faith & belief don't justify that there is. Heaven is defined as the abode of God. So, where is it exactly? Religious people don't live any longer, avoid diseases, stress or heartache, or illness, or go anywhere better after they die imo.

It's not a cynical view, I don't think. Realistic, maybe? The war, death, natural disaster, famine analogy sums it up for me personally. Why would an (albeit fictional) loving, kind, all seeing, all knowing, omnipotent deity allow that to happen to 'it's' followers? It wouldn't.

Or is that the work of the devil? I mean, really, the devil?

As Mozza said, the church, all they want is your money.

8 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

No, sorry. Because there's nothing 'out there' imo. No 'higher power'. Faith & belief don't justify that there is. Heaven is defined as the abode of God. So, where is it exactly? Religious people don't live any longer, avoid diseases, stress or heartache, or illness, or go anywhere better after they die imo.

It's not a cynical view, I don't think. Realistic, maybe? The war, death, natural disaster, famine analogy sums it up for me personally. Why would an (albeit fictional) loving, kind, all seeing, all knowing, omnipotent deity allow that to happen to 'it's' followers? It wouldn't.

Or is that the work of the devil? I mean, really, the devil?

As Mozza said, the church, all they want is your money.

Mozza knows so much about these things!!!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

I'm a gnostic dualist, but I'm in row 17. Can the first five rows be for Scottish Methodist and the like and the next twelve for the more spiritualist amongst us. Id be fine sharing with the scientologists?

Oh sorry when I said faiths I meant Islam, that’s where I can rack myself up some progressive points. Your pathetic religions don’t matter thank you very much so you can stay in row 17 with the heathens.