SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

I’m not a money and figures kind of man and don’t pretend to know anything about it but...

...if we are going to go over the FFP limits and face an embargo hadn’t we may as well go out now and build the greatest squad the world has ever seen before the embargo happens? Won’t it be the same issue if we are 50p over it to £50m over it?

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Accounts are absolutely appalling. Significance loss in financial year, creditors within 1 year and creditors after 1 year. 

It doesn’t look good. We are effectively insolvent carrying aging crocks on big contracts. 

We need to be ruthless in the summer, release the out of contract players and try and get rid of a few with Rhodes at the top of the list. Reduce that wage bill and introduce 3 players from the under 23’s, I.e. Clare, Hirst and Thorniley.  

I'd introduce 5 especially if we can't sign anyone better for lb if we get hit with a transfer embargo and add O'Grady and penny to the three. 

Serious question though in embargo can you still re-negotiate or renew contracts of players currently under contract who's contracts are running out?? 

Edited by shezzas left peg

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But fans have already voted to keep spaffing cash and having top paid players

So far we've had a vote, signed up all the youth prospects, and published these accounts

Reyt confusing

It could be that the young uns will be the squad players next season rather than not considered at all as was previously the case. That way we could at least get rid of some of the over-inflated squad members that are a drain on the finances and have contributed very little.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

It could be that the young uns will be the squad players next season rather than not considered at all as was previously the case. That way we could at least get rid of some of the over-inflated squad members that are a drain on the finances and have contributed very little.

That's the opposite of what the fans voted for - and the reason that ticket prices haven't been reduced

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Will69 said:

I’m not a money and figures kind of man and don’t pretend to know anything about it but...

...if we are going to go over the FFP limits and face an embargo hadn’t we may as well go out now and build the greatest squad the world has ever seen before the embargo happens? Won’t it be the same issue if we are 50p over it to £50m over it?

Not sure if the implications are more severe depending on how far over you go but if not, as you say, if you are going to do it you might as well do it reyt.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah. 

So there are 6 first teamers/top earners who we think have potential resale value. 

Not great, but we are going to have to get some of them off the wage bill. 

Unfortunately our revered chairman considers them to be family members and refuses to sell them. I am the only one who has been unable to see the Emperor's new clothes.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

That's the opposite of what the fans voted for - and the reason that ticket prices haven't been reduced

But it's not a black and white issue is it. DC can still invest in the 1st team and have the young uns as back up rather than having old, slow overpaid players with no ambition left in them as back up. Don't think anyone voted against that. The vote was more that investment would continue rather than sell of the best assets and use youngsters as the 1st choice 11 in the main.

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah. 

So there are 6 first teamers/top earners who we think have potential resale value. 

Not great, but we are going to have to get some of them off the wage bill. 

Absolutely.

As I said in my last post though, I don't even think keeping some of these players is best for us at this point.

Changes need to be made. Some good and popular players will need to leave, and in my opinion it might actually be better for the club overall when they do.

We can't carry a lot of this squad to a fourth failed "promotion attempt" (highlighted because of how laughable that sounds this year, but ultimately it's the club's aim). We just can't. Some of them have got to go and we need changes. 

Edited by sheffield_dave

3 minutes ago, Will69 said:

The forecasted figures for this season have to have been delivered to the EFL today. I am not expecting our transfer window to be re-opened.

58 minutes ago, modboy said:

feel for Chansiri, hes backed us as expected but has been badly let down by advisors, agents, coaches, and the players themselves

I’d also add the fans to this list. We are just averaging 26,000ish the season with the investment and backing we’ve had it’s basically a disgrace. Also there are pegs still full of replica shirts from this season that people can’t be arsed to buy when Chansiri put in the effort to secure a totally unique brand/template. Simply put we don’t deserve this club, we sit online day after day moaning about the prices when if we simply just manned up and paid for it we could be looking at the Premier now. Big club my arse.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Will69 said:

No it's calculated pro rata.