SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

Just now, Geoffrey said:

Oh, one of those defending the transfer policy in the summer has popped up. Shame you can't neg me now.

You really need to stop making things up Geoffrey. 

It can't be healthy. 

I've never defended the transfer policy. 

11 minutes ago, vulva said:

£500,000/25 games = £20,000 a game. Effectively taking less than £1 per head per game extra from everyone. 

strange way of equating it. The increase is probably more likely due to the increase of over 4,500 average attendance per game. In this respect the increase of £500,000 on match receipts and associated turnover suggests that the 'associated turnover' whatever that comprises of, has actually decreased between the 2 seasons in question.  

Just now, Geoffrey said:

Ash?

Jesus Christ. 

That's getting someone'a named mixed up. 

That's not the same as making things up. 

Get back on your pills, you absolute lunatic. 

• Haha 3

People need to not fear player sales.

It's going to happen and there's no point flapping about it. 

Hooper, Forrestieri, Lees, Bannan and Westwood would probably court the most interest. I'd rather not all of those leave but I think it's inevitable that possibly 2 or 3 may go. I think the club will actively try to shop Fletcher, Abdi and Rhodes out but may struggle for various reasons. It's going to happen. 

Our transfer policy over the last 2 years especially has left us limited, inflexible and overpaying for the squad we have. People need to accept that it's necessary for a few "big" players to go and strap themselves in for when it happens.

But we also need to learn that it might not be a bad thing. I would expect Wildsmith, Dawson, Thorniley, Penney, Clare and Hirst (fingers firmly crossed on the latter two) to become full time fixtures in the squad next year, with some bigger money outgoings from our "first team" used to supplement what's left with more younger players in positions we need.

Right now that feels like a best case scenario to me. I'm not sure keeping some of the players people on here are worried about leaving is even the best thing for Sheffield Wednesday at this point. Some potebtially uncomfortable changes are needed.

14 minutes ago, steveger said:

Is our speedy local media onto this yet ?

Waiting for Owlstalk to digest it and for MK Owl's overview before they give their 'informed' opinion!

8 minutes ago, Kevlad said:

Just as expected really and the same as any club who’s expenses exceed the income they generate from operations.

The loss of 20m has been financed by The chairman, you can see the loan from shareholders has increased by about the same amount to 37m, note 15 or 16 

The only positive is that a lot of the debt is to The chairman, like Man City, although they usually write it off to equity so it does not show in creditors. The negative is that we spend 20m more than we generated yet we’re still pretty crap. 

One thing  is for certain, the chairman has put the cash in, whether it’s been spent wisely is the bigger question 

Also no set interest or repayment on it so therefore no theoretical carrying value at amortised cost.

On a serious note: 

It's hardly a surprise, is it? 

We've splooged a load of money over the last few years and failed to get promoted. Revenue in the Championship is several leagues below that of the Premier League. 

I think Brighton reported losses close to 30 million in the summer...but they had the common sense to get themselves promoted. 

It's ok though; as that survey said we are going to charge high prices and keep buying top earners :duntmatter:

Only Sheffield Wednesday could spend 25 years seeking serious investment, finally get it, and then end up in a pickle like this. 

The only possible way out of this is to generate as much from player sales in the summer as possible, gamble on youth, and dig in for the long term. 

• Like 4