Tottenham leading Everton, Leicester And Southampton in race to sign Sean Clare

Sheffield Wednesday’s injury crisis has handed an opportunity to youngster Sean Clare and his goal against Aston Villa at the weekend showed he is intent on grabbing it with both hands. 

Clare has impressed since his introduction into the Owls first team and has already drawn admiring glances from the Premier League, according to TEAMtalk. 

Champions League chasers Tottenham Hotspur are among the pack of top flight clubs taking an interest in the midfielder’s signature, as well as mid-table outfits Everton and Leicester City and relegation-battlers Southampton.

Two clubs currently playing their football in the Championship are also in the race, with Norwich City and struggling Sunderland interested.

The Verdict

Wednesday’s injury crisis has given Clare a first team break and he is showing himself to be quite the prospect.

For that reason, I am not surprised at all that there has been such interest in the services of a player who is out of contract at the end of the season.

The opportunity to work with Mauricio Pochettino, who is good as any manager in the world at developing young talent, could prove too tempting to turn down.

Owlstalk Shop

Sheffield Wednesday look set to lose highly-rated midfield ace Sean Clare this summer, TEAMtalk can reveal.

The 21-year-old has just been promoted into the first-team by new Owls boss Jos Luhukay, after he impressed in training and he has done well for the South Yorkshire side.

Clare has spent much of the last two seasons out on loan with Bury, Accrington and Gillingham but he has now been given his first-team chance at Hillsborough.

However, a host of clubs are already chasing Clare and we can reveal that Tottenham, Everton Southampton, Leicester, Norwich and Sunderland are all keen on Clare – whose contract expires in this summer.

Clare has thus far spurned Wednesday’s offers of a new deal, but they are now working hard on persuading the London-born midfielder to sign fresh terms – rather than lose him for nothing.

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield Wednesday look set to lose highly-rated midfield ace Sean Clare this summer, TEAMtalk can reveal.

The 21-year-old has just been promoted into the first-team by new Owls boss Jos Luhukay, after he impressed in training and he has done well for the South Yorkshire side.

Clare has spent much of the last two seasons out on loan with Bury, Accrington and Gillingham but he has now been given his first-team chance at Hillsborough.

However, a host of clubs are already chasing Clare and we can reveal that Tottenham, Everton Southampton, Leicester, Norwich and Sunderland are all keen on Clare – whose contract expires in this summer.

Clare has thus far spurned Wednesday’s offers of a new deal, but they are now working hard on persuading the London-born midfielder to sign fresh terms – rather than lose him for nothing.

For a bloke who is at one minute intent on pushin' positivity Neil...you don't half post some worryin' stuff lol

• Haha 1

Or what we could do is not leave it until the last minute to sign players up to new contracts.

I am pretty sure no other team lets players get to the last few months of their contracts before we start negotiating a new one. What we should have done in August is sign him to a basic 2 year deal then send him out on loan, if he does well as he has we can renegotiation him a better deal but if he says no we have him signed up for another 18 months.

But as we all know the current people in charge of our club have never placed any value on youth up until the new manager started and the over paid, past it drains on our club and team are all out injured all of a sudden these youth players cast to one side by CC and DC are not showing loyalty by signing the first contract put in front of them. 

Until we start valuing youth more young players will look after themselves before the club and I for one have no problem with them doing it. Offer him a fare contract don't try and get him on the cheap.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't shoot the messenger mate

I just put the article in the topic so people could see what the OP was referring to

I though we deleting the depressing stuff?........Ive got reams of it..sat doin' nowt...cos I thought I ws gonna get snowed in..Even thats gone t *ts...i'm sat typin' this in the garden wiv the sun beaming down!!..can't even rely on "The Beast from the East" to cheer me up....FFS!

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Or what we could do is not leave it until the last minute to sign players up to new contracts.

I am pretty sure no other team lets players get to the last few months of their contracts before we start negotiating a new one. What we should have done in August is sign him to a basic 2 year deal then send him out on loan, if he does well as he has we can renegotiation him a better deal but if he says no we have him signed up for another 18 months.

But as we all know the current people in charge of our club have never placed any value on youth up until the new manager started and the over paid, past it drains on our club and team are all out injured all of a sudden these youth players cast to one side by CC and DC are not showing loyalty by signing the first contract put in front of them. 

Until we start valuing youth more young players will look after themselves before the club and I for one have no problem with them doing it. Offer him a fare contract don't try and get him on the cheap.

Only possible problem with that could be, what the club and even the player himself might see as a fair contract, may not seem to be a fair contract to his agents in terms of how much they want.

teamtalk been handed a few quid by clare's agent by looks of it lol 

do you know what, I'm not even bothered, I want him to stay but lets just make sure we include him & hirst in our squads until end of the season, offer them a new deal, nothing silly but a good deal to be a apart of the 1st team squad, of course we want them both to stay & be a part of the future here but if they move on to pastures new in a prem u23 team then so be it, we can't compete with the sort of teams can we? so no point even worrying about it

10 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Only possible problem with that could be, what the club and even the player himself might see as a fair contract, may not seem to be a fair contract to his agents in terms of how much they want.

But you don't leave it till February when the contract is out in June to start negotiating.

You don't let a player get to the last 6 months of his deal, you never let a player get past the last 18 months of his contract. take the money we are wasting on Jones, Buttercup, Loovens, Fox, Fletcher, Abdi, Matias and use a tiny fraction of it on a decent new contract for Hirst and Clare and get them tied down to a 2 or 3 year deal. 

49 minutes ago, lancashireowl said:

Hopefully this is garbage. Need to tie him down if we can. 

'Tie him down' Is a really poor turn of phrase, makes him seem like a nineteenth century cotton picking slave.

Much prefer ' Offer him a very tempting contract' 

Agents are a scourge on EFL clubs. The EFL should act and introduce a standard paragraph in all club/player contracts that fairly and even handedly protects the financial interests of club and player to the exclusion of agent interests. 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I wonder what Carvalhal made of the scouting reports on Clare. I'm sure that we would have produced them and that Carvalhal would have read them :duntmatter: So why didnt we act sooner? Lets be honest there wasn't really much scope for youngsters during Carvalhals time.

Only youngster to get game time was Wildsmith and that only happened because their was no one else I mean we had Wildsmith and Dawson and Carlos sort to bring in Kean as cover for Westwood that says how little time he would have got under Carlos.