Tottenham leading Everton, Leicester And Southampton in race to sign Sean Clare

Just now, Hookowl said:

Yes that was as an academy player, I presumed from your post you were referring to what he is being offered now ?

Nope

I was trying to say, that having him at the club for couple of years, watching him play and train every week we should have got good idea of what a good player/prospect he is, and not get ourselves into curent situation.

For the last two and a half years, the youth setup may as well not have existed as far as the previous manager was concerned, therefore the club was ill prepared to assess and value youth player assets given they were nowhere near the first team and no pathway to progress*. We now find ourselves in a position where players are getting game time, attracting attention and in the last few months of their contract. The outcome is either is costs more to renew their contract or we lose the player to another team. 

*If anyone mentions Wildsmith and Dawson, propose that CC didn't have a clue about the GK position and his hand was forced, evidenced by the waste of money signing of Jake Kean.

21 minutes ago, malek said:

Nope

I was trying to say, that having him at the club for couple of years, watching him play and train every week we should have got good idea of what a good player/prospect he is, and not get ourselves into curent situation.

True although you could argue that if we didn't have so many players injured he would have not had the first team game time and had his potential recognised by other clubs.

Therefore by not having this interest from other clubs he may have just renewed his contract anyway ?

18 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

True although you could argue that if we didn't have so many players injured he would have not had the first team game time and had his potential recognised by other clubs.

Therefore by not having this interest from other clubs he may have just renewed his contract anyway ?

Maybe, but we operate in the world of what did happen. Not only has he taken his chance, he appears to be far more effective than many of those that are out injured, or are back, but made out of biscuit.

1 minute ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

Maybe, but we operate in the world of what did happen. Not only has he taken his chance, he appears to be far more effective than many of those that are out injured, or are back, but made out of biscuit.

Not arguing with that but my reply was regarding the possible reason for not coming to any previous agreement with regards to a new contract.

5 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Not arguing with that but my reply was regarding the possible reason for not coming to any previous agreement with regards to a new contract.

I take your point, but we do appear to be establishing a reputation for not knowing how to benefit from kids that we've developed.

Spurs and Everton leading chase according to journo on twitter.

Might be similar to that Hayden White who we lost to Bolton a few years back. He was being linked with Man U, Arsenal and all sorts. Could just be his agent stirring the pot to get him the best deal.

Either way I'm not convinced he'll stay.

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Might be similar to that Hayden White who we lost to Bolton a few years back. He was being linked with Man U, Arsenal and all sorts. Could just be his agent stirring the pot to get him the best deal.

Hayden White

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2013–2016 Bolton Wanderers 5 (0)
2014 Carlisle United (loan) 8 (0)
2014–2015 Bury (loan) 2 (0)
2015 Notts County (loan) 3 (0)
2015–2016 Blackpool (loan) 29 (1)
2016–2017 Peterborough United 6 (0)
2017 Mansfield Town (loan) 18 (1)
2017– Mansfield Town 0 (0)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:25, 10 May 2017 (UTC).

Never known a club with such negatively unforward thinking. Teams like Brentford and Norwich at our level and Southampton even before they became a Premier league club looked after and made sure their best youngsters were looked after properly and got them on contracts. They look to the future while our regime bumbles and bungles on signing over the hill crocks and looking in the past. 

Would any of those 3 above or teams like Ipswich who've always brought youngsters through be staring down the barrel of loosing 2 of the BEST potential home grown products to come through the ranks in 20 years. 

This club really do baffle me at times. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Never known a club with such negatively unforward thinking. Teams like Brentford and Norwich at our level and Southampton even before they became a Premier league club looked after and made sure their best youngsters were looked after properly and got them on contracts. They look to the future while our regime bumbles and bungles on signing over the hill crocks and looking in the past. 

Would any of those 3 above or teams like Ipswich who've always brought youngsters through be staring down the barrel of loosing 2 of the BEST potential home grown products to come through the ranks in 20 years. 

Absolutely makes me laugh this, just like the chant that was made for him.

Clare has not come through the ranks, he's not "one of our own". He only joined the setup in 2016 when he was roughly 19 years old

So much faux outrage on here, probably just to have digs at the club. There is absolutely no way you can tell how a player is going to adapt to the professional game, especially when you've only had them with your club for a year or so. 

Has he played well in the very small amount of games he's had here? yes

Would I like him to extend? yes, but mainly because we've not had anyone with the drive to go forward for a long time, and not afraid to shoot!

Does he deserve an extension? who knows when he's barely played

He's at the age he needs to be playing consistently if he's going to have a career. Would he be a first teamer on any of the teamshe's been linked with? I'd probably say no (but that's not to say he wouldn't be in the future)

17 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Absolutely makes me laugh this, just like the chant that was made for him.

Clare has not come through the ranks, he's not "one of our own". He only joined the setup in 2016 when he was roughly 19 years old

So much faux outrage on here, probably just to have digs at the club. There is absolutely no way you can tell how a player is going to adapt to the professional game, especially when you've only had them with your club for a year or so. 

Has he played well in the very small amount of games he's had here? yes

Would I like him to extend? yes, but mainly because we've not had anyone with the drive to go forward for a long time, and not afraid to shoot!

Does he deserve an extension? who knows when he's barely played

He's at the age he needs to be playing consistently if he's going to have a career. Would he be a first teamer on any of the teamshe's been linked with? I'd probably say no (but that's not to say he wouldn't be in the future)

I wasn't just talking about clare bud, I said the best TWO youngsters. Didn't say who the other was as I didn't want to turn into yet another thread about him, we all know who though. Its just we were prepared to pay probably something like 15k + at least for boyd at the start of the season who to be honest has been yet another dreadful old crock signing, instead of investing in giving the better and most promising youngsters on our books a couple of year contracts instead of just expecting them to keep signing 1 year deals till they where 21+.

Edited by shezzas left peg

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Never, ever heard anything about White been linked with anyone but Bolton.

Always thought he was quite limited player. Bags of pace, but with little else to offer.

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Chansiri had a 2 year plan to get to the Premier League. Simple as that. Spend all it can to get there, neglect the young players sign experience to get us out.

Well it failed. Now we're a right mess, no money, crocked players and our two best youngsters will be leaving in May.

• Like 2

Guest Grez Bez
8 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I wasn't just talking about clare bud, I said the best TWO youngsters. Didn't say who the other was as I didn't want to turn into yet another thread about him, we all know who though. Its just we were prepared to pay probably something like 15k + at least for boyd at the start of the season who to be honest has been yet another dreadful old crock signing, instead of investing in giving the better and most promising youngsters on our books a couple of year contracts instead of just expecting them to keep signing 1 year deals till they where 21+.

Have you ever seen Hirst play?