Jos - You just lost your free hit...

Just now, McRightSide said:

Given that we spawned a goal in the first half and spent the rest of it under pressure.

Consistently looked like we would concede whilst threatening nothing

And then all of a sudden looked threatening when Joao, Reach and Nuhiu were playing...then yes, I think we'd have done better with a different side.

Don't you? Or do you think we got the best result that we were capable of getting?

I think we've got (and have had) a difficult run of games where the demands placed on an already thin squad (because of injuries) and Jos is entitled to pick who he wants..............he's the manager.

On the game.........we got in front, doesn't matter how much pressure we were under........look at the Wigan game last night. Our downfall was too much playing around with the ball at the back and creating problems for ourselves, that's something that can be coached out of the players but they've had 2.5 years of management that taught them it was ok to do it week in week out........it'll take time.

Of course we were capable of getting more out the game tonight but that's the unpredictability of football is it not? 

I'd sooner have what we can consider our best 11 (at the moment) out against Villa as it will be a much harder game in front of our own fans who also aren't the most forgiving when things don't quite go as planned.

We may/may not have done better with the aforementioned players in the starting 11 but Jos calls it how he sees it from training, we call it from a keyboard.

UTO.

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Yes you do.

Plays great against Swansea. Plays great for Gillingham. Gets dropped for a kid who can't get in the Port Vale side and is clearly out of his depth.

Against Swansea  loldo you dream things ? 

1 minute ago, WatfordOwl said:

I think we've got (and have had) a difficult run of games where the demands placed on an already thin squad (because of injuries) and Jos is entitled to pick who he wants..............he's the manager.

On the game.........we got in front, doesn't matter how much pressure we were under........look at the Wigan game last night. Our downfall was too much playing around with the ball at the back and creating problems for ourselves, that's something that can be coached out of the players but they've had 2.5 years of management that taught them it was ok to do it week in week out........it'll take time.

Of course we were capable of getting more out the game tonight but that's the unpredictability of football is it not? 

I'd sooner have what we can consider our best 11 (at the moment) out against Villa as it will be a much harder game in front of our own fans who also aren't the most forgiving when things don't quite go as planned.

We may/may not have done better with the aforementioned players in the starting 11 but Jos calls it how he sees it from training, we call it from a keyboard.

UTO.

No-one is saying he can't pick who he likes.

No-one is saying he shouldn't rest players - but not for ALL the games!

In the position we are in we should be focusing on beating the teams around us and viewing the teams like Villa as a bonus.

My guess is that every away game under Jos we will set up to get a point. And he'll 'throw t'kids in' to keep the fans happy.

Seems like some are buying it

Just now, McRightSide said:

No-one is saying he can't pick who he likes.

No-one is saying he shouldn't rest players - but not for ALL the games!

In the position we are in we should be focusing on beating the teams around us and viewing the teams like Villa as a bonus.

My guess is that every away game under Jos we will set up to get a point. And he'll 'throw t'kids in' to keep the fans happy.

Seems like some are buying it

It's not ALL games though is it..........it's one.

It's nailed on that what ever the line up was tonight, Jos would have been criticised by playing the same 11 v Swansea and then against Villa.

'Doesn't he realise the players are knackered?' or '3 games in 7 days'............take your pick on the thread title.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Well it is nice to know that all we had to do was pick Joao to start and we would have won easily.

That seems to be the assumption on here .

Simple this management lark

Personally I'd rather take a gamble on playing tired players against Swansea than tonight against Millwall. We should have a fresh side for Villa and hopefully Swansea...but wtf do I know lol 

It's not ALL games though is it..........it's one.

It's nailed on that what ever the line up was tonight, Jos would have been criticised by playing the same 11 v Swansea and then against Villa.

'Doesn't he realise the players are knackered?' or '3 games in 7 days'............take your pick on the thread title.

2 out of 2 games.

1 league, 1 cup.

Just now, oldishowl said:

Well it is nice to know that all we had to do was pick Joao to start and we would have won easily.

Not the point. We are missing a boat load of first team players at present, all injured. Despite this, he puts Reach, Pudil, Joao, Nuhui and Butterfield on the bench. Makes no sense at all. I’m all for ‘resting’ players, but what exactly are we ‘resting’ them for.  The league is the priority. We should have rested the aforementioned on Saturday.

He’s got the team sheets for Saturday and Wednesday mixed up. 

Just now, vulva said:

Not the point. We are missing a boat load of first team players at present, all injured. Despite this, he puts Reach, Pudil, Joao, Nuhui and Butterfield on the bench. Makes no sense at all. I’m all for ‘resting’ players, but what exactly are we ‘resting’ them for.  The league is the priority. We should have rested the aforementioned on Saturday.

He’s got the team sheets for Saturday and Wednesday mixed up. 

No idea how people are defending the line up tonight.

I said before the game that I remember us beating Hull with 0 strikers - but we played with pace: Johnson, Helan and Antonio.

Tonight we played with two aging midfielders.

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Not a question of management lark being simple or fans knowing best or João starting guaranteeing anything. It’s a question of probability. Please be completely honest and tell us if when you saw tonight’s line up you believed it was likely we would win

So who should he have picked v Swansea in your opinion?

I posted on here a lot - I had no problem with that line-up, as i thought he was prioritizing tonight.

So tonight he should have played Reach, Pudil, Nuhiu, Joao and Clare

If he was going to play the side tonight, then he should have played Joao against Swansea.

To just deprioritize both games is stupid.

This isn't about resting tired players though, this is about the fact that we didn't start with anyone capable of holding the ball up front.

The ball kept coming back from about the 15th minute until they scored their second and we decided to put a striker on.

Like the OP said, this is Jos's free hit, but let's not just try to suppose that this was a gamble that didn't work out. It was a truly baffling and awful team selection, and I just hope that future results and performances will render it easily and quickly forgotten.

• Like 1

He was a very strange appointment in the first place. We needed some blood and thunder. A bit of guts and determination. Grit. 

In stead we get another manager who overly tinkers and plays ridiculously alternative formations which are clearly ineffective against fellow Championship sides.

• Like 1