Jos - You just lost your free hit...

Just now, cowl said:

This isn't about resting tired players though, this is about the fact that we didn't start with anyone capable of holding the ball up front.

The ball kept coming back from about the 15th minute until they scored their second and we decided to put a striker on.

Like the OP said, this is Jos's free hit, but let's not just try to suppose that this was a gamble that didn't work out. It was a truly baffling and awful team selection, and I just hope that future results and performances will render it easily and quickly forgotten.

Exactly.

The injuries got him a free hit - he had to make the best of what he had. Even then I raised concerns about his continuing selection of Palmer and Fox.

Now that he's clearly not doing that he should be questioned, rather than just excused.

1 minute ago, Kanye West said:

Jos explained in his interview that Joao wasn’t fully fit, hence why he didn’t play. 

Reach might be knackered, maybe he was the same. 

He also said 'from the first minute, we weren't in the game'

I wonder why.

So Joao wasn't 100% - fine.

Nuhiu, Clare, Pudil & Reach?

2 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Jos explained in his interview that Joao wasn’t fully fit, hence why he didn’t play. 

Exactly

Plus we have so many games coming up in such a short space of time fans need to understand Reach and Joao won't be featuring in them all

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

I posted on here a lot - I had no problem with that line-up, as i thought he was prioritizing tonight.

So tonight he should have played Reach, Pudil, Nuhiu, Joao and Clare

If he was going to play the side tonight, then he should have played Joao against Swansea.

To just deprioritize both games is stupid.

I get that but then do you weaken the side for the game against Villa in order to rotate?

The argument for both is there but for me Jos is still learning about the players and their capabilities in terms of the demands he puts on them, so I'm not too worried about it.

Let's hope we put in a show against Villa.

3 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

He was a very strange appointment in the first place. We needed some blood and thunder. A bit of guts and determination. Grit. 

In stead we get another manager who overly tinkers and plays ridiculously alternative formations which are clearly ineffective against fellow Championship sides.

I wouldn't say they are ineffective at all.

They are just really defensive and he's trying to draw his way to safety.

Just now, WatfordOwl said:

I get that but then do you weaken the side for the game against Villa in order to rotate?

The argument for both is there but for me Jos is still learning about the players and their capabilities in terms of the demands he puts on them, so I'm not too worried about it.

Let's hope we put in a show against Villa.

I would have done. Yes.

Focus on where you believe you'll get the maximum return.

And yes - big performance and proper team selection now needed.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

Plus we have so many games coming up in such a short space of time fans need to understand Reach and Joao won't be featuring in them all

Reach has proven he can play in every game...he's been ever-present, no?

How about Nuhiu and Clare. Perhaps even Pudil.

Fact of the matter is that he needs to choose some games he wants to try and win, not just draw them all. 

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I posted on here a lot - I had no problem with that line-up, as i thought he was prioritizing tonight.

So tonight he should have played Reach, Pudil, Nuhiu, Joao and Clare

If he was going to play the side tonight, then he should have played Joao against Swansea.

To just deprioritize both games is stupid.

I don’t believe he is prioritising any games over others.

I don’t believe he is saying we have more chance of winning that one than this one.

I believe he is doing two things

Trying to manage a threadbare squad within which we have some key players who we cannot afford to lose through injury while having a punishing schedule.

Collect as many points as possible by using that threadbare squad as that is all he has.

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Exactly.

The injuries got him a free hit - he had to make the best of what he had. Even then I raised concerns about his continuing selection of Palmer and Fox.

Now that he's clearly not doing that he should be questioned, rather than just excused.

I remember a game against Hull from a few seasons back when we started with no strikers (I was trying to think of a game when we've done this before) - we actually won, and won well if I remember, but this was back when we could call on genuine pace in the form of players like Hélan, JJ, and Antonio.

I just don't understand what the plan was for tonight. Stobbs is moderately pacey, at best, and Wallace and Boyd have the kind of pace that a player has when they're in their 30s but were never that pacey anyway. So who else are you're runners - Jones?!

It's just one game, I know, but I rarely go off the deep end after games, and this has left me truly perplexed at what Jos's was plan here even was in the first place.

Don't like what he did on Saturday

Dont like what he did tonight

Do llike his trusting the youngsters 

Quite like his formation experiments.

but if we get knocked out of the cup and get relegated then there will be only one answer 

Step forward the Ginger Messiah...

Garyus Megsonuky

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

Got a feeling 11’s like tonight will be the norm away from home until the fixture backlog, or the injuries, clear up.

I think he’ll focus our efforts on our home games in the league. You’d hope so anyway, playing anything like that 11 tonight at Hillsborough would be carnage. 

From the bits I’ve heard it does sound like tonight maybe everyone was trying to do the work of two positions. Which is worrying because that would have been influenced massively by the formation we went with. 

22 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Harry Kane played 35 games this season, Mo Salah played 36 games this season, Romelu Lukaku played 38 games this season. They don’t look knackered to me. Some might say they look positively sprightly....

Why are we to believe that our players are too tired to play Saturday / Tuesday?

Edited by Lawrie’s Left Peg

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Harry Kane played 35 games this season, Mo Salah played 36 games this season, Romelu Lukaku played 38 games this season. They don’t look knackered to me. Some might say they look positively sprightly....

Why are we to believe that our players are to tired to play Saturday / Tuesday?

Have you totally forgotten the holiday camp Carlos was running that has led to our entire squad being unfit?

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Serious questions need to be asked about Joao's fitness if he can't manage at least a half today.

Or does it just highlight how bad things were under Carlos, fitness wise? 

Joao, like Nuhiu, had barely played a game for a long time. Suddenly they've played fairly often in a short space of time. Pretty tough if you're not in the best physical condition. High chance of fatigue, strains, knocks etc

Seems bizarre to not play a striker, but worth remembering we're down to the bare bones in attack. We're going to need Joao and Nuhiu in the next few weeks.

Not really sure what to make of Jos yet, but it's obvious he's been given an incredibly difficult job. Just need to pinch enough wins to stay up and sort things out properly in the summer.