Jos - You just lost your free hit...

8 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Its a fair point that shouldn’t be overlooked but would hope that 33 games in they’d have enough residual fitness to pull throug

I honestly don't think they do have that

I think if Jos had a fit squad or even if the players at his disposal were fully fit he'd have played a stronger side tonight

Owlstalk Shop

17 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Harry Kane played 35 games this season, Mo Salah played 36 games this season, Romelu Lukaku played 38 games this season. They don’t look knackered to me. Some might say they look positively sprightly....

Why are we to believe that our players are too tired to play Saturday / Tuesday?

It's a myth.

He clearly thought that a point would suffice and picked a side to try and get that.

Unfortunately he forgot that to defend from the front, you need someone at the front.

If I was Joao or Nuhiu I'd be angrymad.

Remember when Brian Laws said just because strikers score doesn't mean they say in the team? Well, it seems Jos has also read 'Laws of the Jungle'

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Remember when Brian Laws said just because strikers score doesn't mean they say in the team? 

Why should they? There are all sorts of factors that go into the logic behind team selections. If you put a dustbin in the penalty area and whacked crosses at it, every so often one would hit it and go in. Would that mean it had deserved it's place for the next game?

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Why should they? There are all sorts of factors that go into the logic behind team selections. If you put a dustbin in the penalty area and whacked crosses at it, every so often one would hit it and go in. Would that mean it had deserved it's place for the next game?

This wasn't a dustbin, it was Steve MacLean. Remember him? Our first 20 goal a season player in how many years?

And by the way...the dustbin wouldn't score. It would be a freekick to the defending side as something not part of the field of play had come into contact with the ball.

Hence why the 'beach ball goal' should have been disallowed.

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I’m inclined to look towards Sir Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly, Jose Mourinho, Giovanni Trapattoni. Some of the best managers ever to grace the game. They knew a thing or 2 about winning football matches. Dont recall any of them ever selecting 3-7-0 formation. 

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

This wasn't a dustbin, it was Steve MacLean. Remember him? Our first 20 goal a season player in how many years?

And by the way...the dustbin wouldn't score. It would be a freekick to the defending side as something not part of the field of play had come into contact with the ball.

Hence why the 'beach ball goal' should have been disallowed.

Seems to me that Laws was making a general point about players scoring goals, even if on that particular occasion it referred to MacLean. Fans can be simple-minded assuming that a goalscorer should automatically keep his place. 

Well done on the rules with the bin. But you know the point I was making. 

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I’m inclined to look towards Sir Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly, Jose Mourinho, Giovanni Trapattoni. Some of the best managers ever to grace the game. They knew a thing or 2 about winning football matches. Dont recall any of them ever selecting 3-7-0 formation. 

And I don't recall advocating a 3-7-0 formation either. That was not so much a straw man as a straw behemoth.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Seems to me that Laws was making a general point about players scoring goals, even if on that particular occasion it referred to MacLean. Fans can be simple-minded assuming that a goalscorer should automatically keep his place. 

Well done on the rules with the bin. But you know the point I was making. 

No. He was answering in response to criticism for dropping Steve MacLean.

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

No. He was answering in response to criticism for dropping Steve MacLean.

So Laws believes keeping strikers who have scored in the line-up is absolutely sacrosanct... unless they are Steve MacLean? Of course it was an observation with wider implications, regardless of who it referred to on that one occasion.

Edited by DJMortimer

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

So Laws believes keeping strikers who have scored in the line-up is absolutely sacrosanct... unless they are Steve MacLean? Of course it was an observation with wider implications, regardless of who it referred to on that one occasion.

Nope.

But MacLean kept playing well, kept scoring and then kept getting dropped for Deon Burton.

Look at Laws' career as a manager - he's consistently played strikers that have scored.

For some reason he kept dropping MacLean after scoring.

It's almost like there was something else off the pitch going on...but i don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

So stop being contrary and recognize that playing zero forward players - when you have two inform players - and they have Boyd, Wallace, Stobbs and Pelupessy behind them isn't going to get a result

Edited by McRightSide

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

And I don't recall advocating a 3-7-0 formation either. That was not so much a straw man as a straw behemoth.

Yawn.... I’ll humour you as you’ve clearly swallowed a dictionary and are not feeling yourself. So in order to defend the integrity of your argument what factors go into the logic of tonight’s team selection without a recognised striker?

When a team lines up with 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs and 5 recognised midfielders and no recognised strikers how would you describe that formation?

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Yawn.... I’ll humour you as you’ve clearly swallowed a dictionary and are not feeling yourself. So in order to defend the integrity of your argument what factors go into the logic of tonight’s team selection without a recognised striker?

When a team lines up with 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs and 5 recognised midfielders and no recognised strikers how would you describe that formation?

Thanks for patronising me, but the whole basis of your response is bizarre. Not once did I even hint at advocating playing with no strikers (although it can work in some circumstances), never mind do so explicitly. All this because I suggested that Brian Laws was right when he said that just because a bloke has scored it should not mean he is an automatic selection for the next game?

2 hours ago, Spencerowl said:

Managers can’t win, we’ve spent months on this forum saying why are the youngsters not coming through..... now we do it’s also wrong. 

Good man management would be to bring them on slowly, amongst seasoned pro’s playing in a balanced and settled team, this would enhance their progression. Not throwing them to the lions and playing them out of position and then dropping them for no real reason when they’ve done a good job. 

Its absolutely bonkers man management. 

Just now, hawksmore said:

Good man management would be to bring them on slowly, amongst seasoned pro’s playing in a balanced and settled team, this would enhance their progression. Not throwing them to the lions and playing them out of position and then dropping them for no real reason when they’ve done a good job. 

Its absolutely bonkers man management. 

That would be assuming there's zero discussion or dialogue between Jos and his staff, and the players in question

I'm pretty sure there's two way discussion as to when players are dropped and why etc

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

But MacLean kept playing well, kept scoring and then kept getting dropped for Deon Burton.

No argument with that bit. I think a lot of us will remember the circumstances in which one of our top assets was forced to leave for nothing with the club on the financial brink.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

That would be assuming there's zero discussion or dialogue between Jos and his staff, and the players in question

I'm pretty sure there's two way discussion as to when players are dropped and why etc

Let’s say that assumption is correct, it will be difficult for him to justify with logic some of his selections. Those discussions will soon lose any confidence the players and staff have in.

as per the post match interview, he’s struggling somewhat to justify his selections after the game to the press. Staff lose confidence when they no longer believe the manager knows what they’re doing. 

Manager selection was daft by our esteemed leader. 

No knowledge of the division, our squad, or other teams squads.

why we are starting stobbs and thorniley with pudil and all our strikers on the bench and two wingers playing up front.

ridiculous.

Just now, hawksmore said:

Let’s say that assumption is correct, it will be difficult for him to justify with logic some of his selections. Those discussions will soon lose any confidence the players and staff have in.

as per the post match interview, he’s struggling somewhat to justify his selections after the game to the press. Staff lose confidence when they no longer believe the manager knows what they’re doing. 

I can imagine though that he's sat with the players and staff and had discussions with them about their fitness, how fit/ready they feel, and made decisions based on what they and the medical team are saying

If he's left them out to rest them for games where he see's us picking up the points required for safety then I am certain he will have had a discussion with everyone about that.

Owlstalk Shop

On 2/20/2018 at 22:51, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Indeed.

This place is going to the dogs.

This

On 2/20/2018 at 23:04, @owlstalk said:

Have you totally forgotten the holiday camp Carlos was running that has led to our entire squad being unfit?

Seems to be working down at Swansea, this 'holiday camp' you have invented. Maybe you don't know as much as you are constantly hinting you do.