#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

3 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Thought we paid 3 million for Van Aken to be honest.

Reported at the time to be 3€ million, which equates to about £2.5 million (give or take). That fee also includes a promotion clause, so some of that value will only be paid after we get promotion to the Prem... which might be a while. My point being, it's nowhere near £4m, which is more than we paid for van Aken and Pelupessy combined... which sort of indicates how much we had to spend last season and perhaps explains why Roberts wasn't someone we could realistically bring in. 

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Reported at the time to be 3€ million, which equates to about £2.5 million (give or take). That fee also includes a promotion clause, so some of that value will only be paid after we get promotion to the Prem... which might be a while. My point being, it's nowhere near £4m, which is more than we paid for van Aken and Pelupessy combined... which sort of indicates how much we had to spend last season and perhaps explains why Roberts wasn't someone we could realistically bring in. 

And before that there was the 6 million that got turned down by Cardiff for Morrison. I bet he's glad he didn't join looking how things turned out for them.

Of course it’s more important, now we’re playing with a back three, that you have at least one left footed centre back, and one right They will often be dragged into the full back positions, and need to be comfortable playing there

Watching them last season, Lees and Venancio seemed happier on the right of the three, even when Venancio was playing in the centre

Van Aken is very left footed, though I didn’t see enough of him to know how comfortable he was when dragged out wide He sure can pick a long pass though, something that will be really useful if we can add a bit more pace to our attack

On 18/06/2018 at 18:40, DELUDED OWL said:

Thanks! Sure I remember the initial fine was £11m as it coincided with the sell-on fee they got for Sterling to Man City. Article below in 2015 says £8m.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/18/qpr-fine-financial-fair-play-8m

Whatever the fine turns out to be - assuming it's not quashed on appeal - it will be a fraction of Premier League money, so still doesn't seem like a deterrent.

Can't believe it's dragged on for 3 years mind!

5 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Now being confirmed that West Ham have signed Fabianski for a fee of around £7m

For me, this sets the benchmark when it comes to estimating Keiren Westwood's worth

Not really as Fabianski has been playing PL football.

11 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

For me, this sets the benchmark when it comes to estimating Keiren Westwood's worth

Why is that the benchmark?

Fabianski is a regular at international and Prem level.

KW isn't.

11 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Fabianski has played about 180 games in the premiership compared to Westwood’s 19. We wouldn’t get anything remotely close to £7m for Westwood.

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Fabianski has played about 180 games in the premiership compared to Westwood’s 19. We wouldn’t get anything remotely close to £7m for Westwood.

Amongst other things, I'm going off age and length of contract remaining

Westwood (apparently) could have left us to join a PL club but chose to sign a new deal instead

Also, he might well have earned more full international caps under a different manager

KW also has more senior league apps under his belt

Besides all that, it's all about opinions in't it?  :mellow: The 'benchmark' being a 33yr old keeper, 1st choice at his club and regularly selected at international level

• Haha 1

Just now, Ethel The Tree said:

Amongst other things, I'm going off age and length of contract remaining

Westwood (apparently) could have left us to join a PL club but chose to sign a new deal instead

Also, he might well have earned more full international caps under a different manager

KW also has more senior league apps under his belt

Besides all that, it's all about opinions in't it?  :mellow: The 'benchmark' being a 33yr old keeper, 1st choice at his club and regularly selected at international level

Of course it’s about opinions - I’m allowed one too :mellow: