Centre half from Man City

55 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

argghh why are we still signing players in areas where we are quite comfortable (Lees & JVA on way back) & neglecting areas where we are quite desperate?

Morgan Fox is our only left wing back & he's not a full back.

Palmer playing LWB last 30 mins v Reading empathises this

Hope we are still in the market to strengthen in this positions 

You're right but long term for that specific position I think we'll see Reach going to wing back, that would solve the "Where does Bannan play" debate in the other thread, and Lee and Abdi and maybe FF and Hooper. They can't all play in midfield behind the front men

This is a bit bizarre, we switch from the coaches favoured system, to one with three centre backs, because of the players we currently have available That doesn’t indicate to me that we are short of centre backs Will we revert to a back four once we get some of our players back? If so, we will have 9 centre backs vying for 2 places The main reason I’m wary about this is, because we’ve been here before

A coach with a preferred system, changing tactics when he arrives here, then proceeds to duplicate areas where we seem to have numbers Not saying it will turn out that way, but there is a recent precedent

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Giddings saying there has been contact with city but a deal looks unlikely.

City have now signed Laporte, for a club record 57 million, thus pushing Tosin further down the line. Increases liklihood of him being allowed out on loan in all probability.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

Lets be honest Thorniley is supposed to be the best of the three young kids and that guy brushed him aside with ease , none of them are ready for week in week out Championship football and Van Aken and Lees are injured , we definitely need another one in there that's good enough to go straight in the team 

don't need another centre half unless we can persuade loovens to hang his boots up and maybe give him a coaching role. we need a striker /winger pace , we cant wait for fletcher,fessi,hooper  we should regard them as out for season if they come back then its a bonus , my worry is we cant score ,and if we lose 1-2 more strikers injured we are in serious trouble ,would you risk championship status cause 1-2 of the injured strikers might come back in march? in past we made some signings on loan in march to keep up remember steve howard? must have been 38 but think his goal in a game saved us . 

5 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Lets be honest Thorniley is supposed to be the best of the three young kids and that guy brushed him aside with ease , none of them are ready for week in week out Championship football and Van Aken and Lees are injured , we definitely need another one in there that's good enough to go straight in the team 

Thornley had a good game. Was shakey first 15 on his league debut in the championship but then had a very good debut against a top 3 team. I think he deserves a run... especially now for the rest of the season in our predicament.

Id much rather bed our own young cbs than have someone who’s not played a game who we have no chance of signing.

27 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

You're right but long term for that specific position I think we'll see Reach going to wing back, that would solve the "Where does Bannan play" debate in the other thread, and Lee and Abdi and maybe FF and Hooper. They can't all play in midfield behind the front men

I've said the same in other threads that I want Reach LWB when bannan is back but fox still isn't good enough to play LWB I don't feel, could do with a loan in that position, not another CB

Don't get why people are against this. Van Aken was a liability and big error waiting to happen, Loovens is gone, Pudil is aging and heading the same way as Loovens, Lees is only just running again so will surely be another 2/3 weeks away from fitness, Venancio is doing well, and the 3 young lads yeah they've done well against Carlisle and Cardiff but can they be trusted to step up for the rest of the season? Or does a lad with premier league, champions league and u21 international experience get the nod? No brainer for me

7 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Don't get why people are against this. Van Aken was a liability and big error waiting to happen, Loovens is gone, Pudil is aging and heading the same way as Loovens, Lees is only just running again so will surely be another 2/3 weeks away from fitness, Venancio is doing well, and the 3 young lads yeah they've done well against Carlisle and Cardiff but can they be trusted to step up for the rest of the season? Or does a lad with premier league, champions league and u21 international experience get the nod? No brainer for me

How many games has he actually played for City?

33 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Careful , some on here are obsessed with seeing only the best in our kids because they are ours, if we brought any youngsters in from outside of the same standards , they would be slated on here. Don’t get me wrong we should promote our own and our record in doing so has been dreadful in the past. However it’s easy to ruin a promising young player if you expect too much of them. The time to give them a go is when we are safe, playing well and choosing  games carefully. Not when we are struggling. Jos ‘ has little choice to throw them in, and they did Ok.   Given the limited finances and the size of squad we have and options if all fit a high quality loan signing makes perfect sense to me. Huddersfield didn’t do too badly last yr with 4-5 of them! 

I say sign him. Competition for places will be a good thing, especially when the injured players return too but don't rule out more injuries, suspensions or loss of form in the future. We've previously shown a interest back in the summer, he has pedigree and sounds like a beast of a young prospect. A potential couple of top flight loanee incomings might be smart business. He sounds like a decent player to me. 

1 hour ago, gypsyowl said:

I've said the same in other threads that I want Reach LWB when bannan is back but fox still isn't good enough to play LWB I don't feel, could do with a loan in that position, not another CB

Depending on CB numbers Pudil is also an option there so I'd be quite happy for us to limp to the summer with FOx, see if a prolonged run does him good but I don't see any way of regularly fitting Reach, Bannan and FF into the same side unless Reach is at full back or FF is up top. Maybe Jos can get FF to play intelligently up front and free up space in midfield. Under Carlod FF was always trying to play on the shoulder all the time. If he learns to drop into space he can be a world beater, get the ball and turn towards the edge of the box

19 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I would rather play and develop our own young defensive players and spend what cash we have on a striker or two with pace.

I really cant believe when this season is over that we will splash millions on more strikers when we already have five 

There is plenty in the current squad to keep us up were just short of decent centre halves