Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

19 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

What are your credentials hotshot?

What's your point anyway?  He's spelled out what you're saying far better in the original post.

FFS.

My point is all strikers move and make runs. Some of you are really scraping the barrel with Rhodes - sadly it's very clear he's just not good enough at this level anymore.

11 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

My point is all strikers move and make runs. Some of you are really scraping the barrel with Rhodes - sadly it's very clear he's just not good enough at this level anymore.

So have you played the game at a higher level than other posters... because you were trying to make him look silly by claiming you have?

FFS.

5 minutes ago, A12owl said:

...and there is no leeway given. 

His last prolific spell was in September/October 2015. Middlesbrough gave up on him after that. He's been here for 12 months and 47 appearances.

It isn't exactly a snap judgement.

But he does deserve a fresh start with everyone else under the new manager, especially with 3 strikers out injured and another on loan. But I'm not optimistic we can afford to carry him, even if he does rediscover his eye for goal.

7 minutes ago, A12owl said:

It's a great shame that the few on here are so easy to criticise Rhodes at every opportunity. Our most expensive signing ever and there is no leeway given. 

Carlos just hadn't got a clue how to set up the team to get the best out of Rhodes. Jos has had 3 games to try to salvage something out of the mire Carlos left behind .

His first task was to stop goals going in at the back. You can't lose a game if the other lot don't score. He's done that .

Give him another few weeks to work on the offensive and then make a judgment on Rhodes.

At least keep off these pages with anything negative about Rhodes for 3 or 4 weeks at least.

See what happens. If as all of you Rhodes neggers say you want him to succeed then you will be delighted if he has scored a few goals in that time and will have the balls to give him some praise.

Let's wait and see.

I see what you're getting at, but it's going to take a lot longer than 'a few weeks'.

Because a lot of our creative players that have even got the slightest chance of helping him score, are way off fitness.  Bannan, Lee, Hooper, FF...and we need more than them plus Reach to help him create chances. Another winger, for a start.  Potentially 2, or even 3 if we're going to play Reach centrally and we need 2 decent players for every position...

8 minutes ago, A12owl said:

It's a great shame that the few on here are so easy to criticise Rhodes at every opportunity. Our most expensive signing ever and there is no leeway given. 

Carlos just hadn't got a clue how to set up the team to get the best out of Rhodes. Jos has had 3 games to try to salvage something out of the mire Carlos left behind .

His first task was to stop goals going in at the back. You can't lose a game if the other lot don't score. He's done that .

Give him another few weeks to work on the offensive and then make a judgment on Rhodes.

At least keep off these pages with anything negative about Rhodes for 3 or 4 weeks at least.

See what happens. If as all of you Rhodes neggers say you want him to succeed then you will be delighted if he has scored a few goals in that time and will have the balls to give him some praise.

Let's wait and see.

Sadly, that's what happens when you consistently fail to perform

Carlos lost his job despite taking us to the play offs 6 months earlier 

Let's wait and see.

To be fair CC was a fairly experienced football professional it should not have been that difficult for him to know how to get the best out of a top striker that cost £8m. 

13 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

So have you played the game at a higher level than other posters... because you were trying to make him look silly by claiming you have?

FFS.

Not trying to make anyone look silly - I would expect many on here have played at a higher level than I have. Also playing does not always mean you understand the game very well, look at some of the tv pundits.

3 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Not trying to make anyone look silly - I would expect many on here have played at a higher level than I have. Also playing does not always mean you understand the game very well, look at some of the tv pundits.

Fair enough...a bit strange then asking him if he's ever played up front when he's patently got a player's insight in his post.

FFS.

4 minutes ago, A12owl said:

It might be clear to you sadly but most posters have more positivity and support for our struggling striker. 

Perhaps you could do the same instead of a constant criticism of him. 

In the theory of @RocketOwl....how would you feel if you were constantly criticised for doing your job when you hadn't been given the right tools to do it with.

Same applies to @RocketOwl and @gurujuan .

Most of my comments are aimed at the overly optimistic expectations some of you have rather than criticising Rhodes. For the record I think he is one of the more decent footballers around and his attitude puts others to shame. However I've seen enough to come to think that he will not recapture his previous good form (which was over two years ago). I said in another post a loan 

to a league one side is probably our, and his, best option to see if he can regain his form/confidence. This may also be the best option under FFP.

1 minute ago, Wakefield owl said:

Most of my comments are aimed at the overly optimistic expectations some of you have rather than criticising Rhodes. For the record I think he is one of the more decent footballers around and his attitude puts others to shame. However I've seen enough to come to think that he will not recapture his previous good form (which was over two years ago). I said in another post a loan 

to a league one side is probably our, and his, best option to see if he can regain his form/confidence. This may also be the best option under FFP.

Again..fair enough.and a good clarification.

FFS.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Fair enough...a bit strange then asking him if he's ever played up front when he's patently got a player's insight in his post.

FFS.

Sorry don't agree. You don't have to have played the game to see those things if you have studied the game/done coaching courses etc.

It shouldnt have been difficult but he managed to get it wrong 

So when the ball was delivered in front of goal and Rhodes missed that was Ccs fault. And when CC offered him a chance to score from the penalty spot with no defenders allowed in the area and he decined the invite it was in some way because of the way phrased it.

Guest RocketOwl
12 minutes ago, A12owl said:

It might be clear to you sadly but most posters have more positivity and support for our struggling striker. 

In the theory of @RocketOwl....how would you feel if you were constantly criticised for doing your job when you hadn't been given the right tools to do it with.

What tools then A12?

If its service you are trying to excuse him with then what do you say to the fact under Carlos we sent in the most crosses? 

Was you at Bolton away when he missed 3 sitters from crosses? 

You cant moan about Rhodes not being supported as he has been afforded the most support of any under performing player in the history of Sheffield Wednesday.

9 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Some people in all walks of life command a very high remuneration package based on them possessing certain skills that others cannot perform. When they are paid so well, a lot is rightly expected of them. Rhodes is the most expensive playing asset both in terms of his fee and his salary. With that goes responsibility to perform at a certain level. Rhodes was brought in to score goals at a reasonably prolific rate. The club paid a premium for those services. He is not performing to that standard so he should expect to receive the criticism. Players can of course have a drop in form or a dry period but Rhodes has gone beyond that now. 

21 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

His last prolific spell was in September/October 2015. Middlesbrough gave up on him after that. He's been here for 12 months and 47 appearances.

But he does deserve a fresh start with everyone else under the new manager, especially with 3 strikers out injured and another on loan. But I'm not optimistic we can afford to carry him, even if he does rediscover his eye for goal.

Spot on - we can’t afford to carry him especially when we’re in a relegation battle!

Guest RocketOwl
4 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Exactly how I feel. I don't hate Jordan Rhodes I'm just constantly having to reply to people who are so naive in their summary of why things haven't clicked.

1 minute ago, Wakefield owl said:

Sorry don't agree. You don't have to have played the game to see those things if you have studied the game/done coaching courses etc.

Our posts have crossed.

You asked him if he'd played up front.. didn't you?

He didn't mention watching MOTD or coaching badges... you clearly implied that you you had a clearer overview than him through ACTUALLY doing it.

You obviously haven't so your opinion carries the same weight on here as the rest of us... without the implied experience/expert knowledge.

FFS.

48 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

I played up top mate for a couple of season, one of those seasons I scored 18 in 31, which I was happy with.

I mate of mine played on the left wing, when he didn't play I didn't score, in fact I barely got a touch.

He wasn't the best player in the world but he was quick and direct, he got us up the pitch and created me a bit of space.

So what am I trying to say?

There are very few footballers in the EFL who can do it alone, they all need the players around them to do the right things too.

Edited by Sgt Wednesday

29 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Good of you to give him a chance...

FFS.