Midfield 3

1 minute ago, sweetsheri said:

I'd rather have pudil at the back.

As much as i like Hutch as a bloke and his commitment he just hasn't got it in his legs anymore.

He comes in for a few games, breaks down and then is out for weeks again.. awful for him but it's reality

Yep, thats why I put when and if in brackets. Its a shame because he looked solid in defence when played there and although Pudl might not have the legs for wing back he's a more than capable defender.

11 hours ago, Andy30 said:

Hutch lees van

Hunt.                        Reach

Lee joey bannan

Hoops joao 

At the moment but can see him bringing in another centre half if possible. 

This is the one with Forestieri coming in up top when he's fit and firing again. Also another CB like you said or Venancio there so we can use Hutch sparingly in CB and CM when required.

11 hours ago, Andy30 said:

Hutch lees van

Hunt.                        Reach

Lee joey bannan

Hoops joao 

At the moment but can see him bringing in another centre half if possible. 

So a 3 at the back means they have to be a rigid formation with ball skills and an ability to move quickly, if one of these players does not have all 3 attributes

and (goes missing) it does not work, they also have to be able to contest in the air (Cardiff), whilst Lees is comfortable in the air his ball skills are poor, whilst Hutch

can tackle he does wander and he gets shoved off the ball in aerial combat, if and its an if again just one of these players goes missing, it leaves an enormous gap to fill

and if the 2 wing backs are forward then we have a massive problem, So for me Lees and Hutch are not the ones to be using this system, Van I would be a lot more confident with.

Edited by daleblue

33 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

No Bannan? What's your thinking there?

I love Bannan. But like all other players....if I was running the show he'd have to wait his chance. I think Reach has been really impressive in that inside role. Rubs folks up the wrong way to play well and be dropped.

Also they said he might be out another 6 weeks. Which for me - I always add another 2 weeks - call it March.  

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t have a midfield 3 it would be a 2 with 3 up top.

So for certain games where we need to be tight Id go Hutch Joey with a front 3 of whoever Matias FF Hooper or Joao etc. (Loads if scope here especially with Clare added to the mix)

In other games I’d play Hutch at the back and go with Lee or Abdi in CM with Joey (if he turns out to be decent). One thing I wouldn’t do is play Bannan in CM. Bannan plays off the front man/men or not at all. He’s a lovely footballer and that is his position not picking the ball up deep, but to play there he has to improve on his assists and goals.

Jos has come from Germany where you have to be fit, athletic and capable of running to feature.

First of all the injured players will have to be 100% fit before they get back, unless we are really struggling. This is why I am really sceptical about how many will feature again this season, and come summer if Jos is still here then I can see a major overhaul. He ain’t going to put up with injury prone old men who he can’t rely on fitness wise

Without exact details it looks like Van Aken, Lees , Bannan are most likely to have a chance of playing this season.

We will have a better idea of this if Jos doesn’t sign a centre half this window 

Bannan would fit into Jos’s style but none of this posing on the ball , he will need play high tempo moving the ball quick and forward.

Lee would as well.

I think he would see Hutch as a defender.

FF has all the attributes but would need to cut out the tantrums and be consistent.

An interesting challenge would be Hooper. Once fit is he capable of getting to the level of fitness and playing with the pace and movement required. Not sure he is.

Interesting times ahead but need to get out of the relegation battle first.

7 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

Just have a feeling that the injury crisis has forced the hand of the new broom into a situation that looks promising.

I can see most of the injured struggling to get back in if the improved form of the 2nd string continues.

Looking like from adversity comes a solution.

Which happened a few times under Carlos.

Problem was when the 'stars' came back back and the shoehorn came out.

square_peg.jpg.23992bb61387df9efe7d7c47c95dc126.jpg

Looking at the players we have (even when all fit) they do not fit well into a 4-2-3-1 formation. Jos has already decided that another defensive midfielder was required, weonly had Jones and Hutchinson who fitted that description. I could see Jones and Hutchinson playing in a 2 and presumably the new man could as well. The solitary guy up front has to be mobile (high work rate) or hold up ball well and bring others into play. If this man does not have pace I would think 2 out of 3 behind need pace for system to work. I do not think on evidence seen so far that we have a striker who could do that job. The 3 in behind usually have to be capable of scoring goals and be busy orgenuine link players. FF Reach and Lee could do a job in there but not sure would all fit in same team. Hooper could do central role of 3 but seems to get injured when playing the role. Wallace could play wideright role but do not think could play every game. Abdi has played well on left of 3 previously but appears to be heading for medical retirement. Bannan is not a defensive midfield player and does not score enough to be part of attacking midfield. It will be fascinating to see what develops.

2 hours ago, daleblue said:

So a 3 at the back means they have to be a rigid formation with ball skills and an ability to move quickly, if one of these players does not have all 3 attributes

and (goes missing) it does not work, they also have to be able to contest in the air (Cardiff), whilst Lees is comfortable in the air his ball skills are poor, whilst Hutch

can tackle he does wander and he gets shoved off the ball in aerial combat, if and its an if again just one of these players goes missing, it leaves an enormous gap to fill

and if the 2 wing backs are forward then we have a massive problem, So for me Lees and Hutch are not the ones to be using this system, Van I would be a lot more confident with.

Think you are correct on this. i am not even sure about Van Aken as he is slow to get moving. Jos has packed midfield in front to provide two rows of 3 to add solidity which suggests not great deal of confidence in defence.

Wildsmith

Lees    Venancio    van Aken

Clare           Lee        Joey           Reach

Matias                 Forestieri

Joao

I would love this to be our starting XI for the opening game of next season assuming no new signings and we make Venancio permanent. I don't think it has all our "best" players in it, but I think that midfield four would give us a lot of energy. Or maybe I'm just mad. Mad I tells ya. 

Edited by StudentOwl

-----------------------------Westwood-----------------------------------------

Hunt--------Lees----------Pudil/Fred/NielsonHutch-------Fox/Pudil/Reach

-----------------------------Hutch/Joey-----------------

-----------------Bannan---------------------Lee------------------

FF------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reach/Wallace/Mattias

--------------------------------Joao/Hooper---------------------------------