Greatest club in Yorkshire?

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

JV wont like this, He will be here soon telling us how L***s take 20k to every away game ,and giving us the lowdown on our finances. 

Hey, there's no denying, the 1900's and 1930's were great times for Sheffield Wednesday and before WW2 you were a huge, highly successful club.

One of the biggest in the country never mind Yorkshires greatest.

If a salary cap was brought into all leagues, you would sooner rather than later see the likes of Leeds, Wednesday, Forest, Villa, Derby and Wolves (probably up already but spent heavily) return to the top flight because players would have a choice of getting the same money but playing in front of 25,000-30,00 plus for clubs with great history and pedigree.

This isn't a sour grapes post by any stretch and we are where we deserve to be but I can't help feeling that unless a cap is brought in the game will collapse at some point. You can't have players on half a million a week, it's ludicrous.

Bring some parity into the game vis a salary cap similar to the NFL and let's get the game back to something like it used to be.

11 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Yeah got that,but theyre the last team,thats currently outside the topflight,thats won a major WTF:  it was 2013

Not quite such a good thing to brag about though, unlike being the last team to win an elite-level trophy whilst outside the top flight.

43 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Also the number one statistic about support, since 1900 to last season our home attendance average is 1,986 better than the Blunties. End of. Higher average, more honours, more higher league seasons, never been to Div 4. Nuff said.

So the last time they won owt was 1935, and we were the last team to win owt, and we have been more successful than them, and our average is less than 2k more than the blunts?

Perhaps not the Number One statistic TBH

10 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

If a salary cap was brought into all leagues, you would sooner rather than later see the likes of Leeds, Wednesday, Forest, Villa, Derby and Wolves (probably up already but spent heavily) return to the top flight because players would have a choice of getting the same money but playing in front of 25,000-30,00 plus for clubs with great history and pedigree.

This isn't a sour grapes post by any stretch and we are where we deserve to be but I can't help feeling that unless a cap is brought in the game will collapse at some point. You can't have players on half a million a week, it's ludicrous.

Bring some parity into the game vis a salary cap similar to the NFL and let's get the game back to something like it used to be.

Salary cap should be enforced across all the leagues with higher levels for the higher leagues. That is for basic salary, income can be topped up by bonuses for appearances, goals, trophies won etc. In other words, the pay should be performance related.

Would suggest following:

PL 10k per week

Championship - 7.5k per week

L1 - 5k per week

L2 - 4k per week

Levels automatically come into play when teams are promoted or relegated.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Also the number one statistic about support, since 1900 to last season our home attendance average is 1,986 better than the Blunties. End of. Higher average, more honours, more higher league seasons, never been to Div 4. Nuff said.

I have heard snorters who are so proud they have won the title at all 4 levels of the league pyramid. Say no more.

Looking forward, I don't see any Yorkshire club winning any top flight titles. The most important stat will be how many years in the top flight and position within it. League cup and FA cup have lost their luster now; be happy to win one, but I suspect most fans now have a hard job remembering the winners from even 3 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

Leeds are the biggest club..then us..rest are tinpot

Yup, hard to argue it. Leeds have won the league multiple times in living memory, and they made it to the European Cup final and semi-final. As much as I dislike their club, it's folly to argue we are a bigger club based on recent history.

Edited by TheRock

11 minutes ago, TheRock said:

Yup, hard to argue it. Leeds have won the league multiple times in living memory, and they made it to the European Cup final and semi-final. As much as I dislike their club, it's folly to argue we are a bigger club based on recent history.

It isn't merely about recent history though we have won more simple as, city have won more than united recently but are they bigger? Also what is recent history  because we both won our most recent trophy within a year of each other . The OP presented hard facts that can't be argued with in all probability those stats will be exactly the same in twenty years time 

4 minutes ago, TheRock said:

OP wasn't "biggest" club it was "greatest club. and that is us :biggrin:

Also Leeds United have only existed since 2007. Not won owt (as you Northeners say) since then ... :tango:

4 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

What have we won since 2007? 

Nothing. But that's not the point. What I responded to was the suggestion that Leeds United are a greater club than us because their predecessor club had 10 years of relative success between 1967 and 1975.  

Edited by I'm an Essex Owl