Greatest club in Yorkshire?

16 minutes ago, jamiejohn said:

It isn't merely about recent history though we have won more simple as, city have won more than united recently but are they bigger? Also what is recent history  because we both won our most recent trophy within a year of each other . The OP presented hard facts that can't be argued with in all probability those stats will be exactly the same in twenty years time 

Though, they won the league title and we won the league cup (which lets face it is a tinpot cup). Up until 1965 we were easily the greatest club, but since then its Leeds. Hard one to call overall. I'd give it Leeds due to winning games in the European Cup; a competition we have never played in it. Plus, even though they are hated, their Dirty Leeds Revie side is infamous, and maybe the most famous ever English club side.

3 minutes ago, TheRock said:

Though, they won the league title and we won the league cup (which lets face it is a tinpot cup). Up until 1965 we were easily the greatest club, but since then its Leeds. Hard one to call overall. I'd give it Leeds due to winning games in the European Cup; a competition we have never played in it. Plus, even though they are hated, their Dirty Leeds Revie side is infamous, and maybe the most famous ever English club side.

Where does the OP say greatest club in Yorkshire since 1965?  Who will be the greatest club in 50 years (during which time in all probability neither us or them will have won a major trophy).  Also wouldn't say Revie's  dirty Leeds side springs to mind when you ask the question who is the most famous ever England club side (Busby Babes, Paisley's Liverpool, Bill Nicholson's Spurs, Fergie's treble winning side? Clough's Forest)  But its opinion not fact so we can agree to disagree :biggrin:

Just now, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Where does the OP say greatest club in Yorkshire since 1965?  Who will be the greatest club in 50 years (during which time in all probability neither us or them will have won a major trophy).  Also wouldn't say Revie's  dirty Leeds side springs to mind when you ask the question who is the most famous ever England club side (Busby Babes, Paisley's Liverpool, Bill Nicholson's Spurs, Fergie's treble winning side? Clough's Forest)  But its opinion not fact so we can agree to disagree :biggrin:

True, as I say, its a close run thing between Leeds and Wednesday, when you compare the complete history of the clubs. The thing with Revie's side, is they didn't win that much, but they were there or there about's (runner's up, finalists) for nearly a decade. Wednesday have never had a side which did that. If it wasn't for that 10 year period they had, it would be easy to state Wednesday are the greatest Yorkshire side. The problem is we have never had a side that successful.

Just now, TheRock said:

True, as I say, its a close run thing between Leeds and Wednesday, when you compare the complete history of the clubs. The thing with Revie's side, is they didn't win that much, but they were there or there about's (runner's up, finalists) for nearly a decade. Wednesday have never had a side which did that. If it wasn't for that 10 year period they had, it would be easy to state Wednesday are the greatest Yorkshire side. The problem is we have never had a side that successful.

Can't deny that we never had a run of success over such a period. Just as well Revie's bungs eventually ran out or they would be top two still. But they also did lose loads of trophies (as you say runners up finalists - not typical of the "greatest") But when you do compare the complete history (which we should) we have won more so we are on an empirical basis the greatest side.

Also tongue in cheek of course but you are referring to a club that ceased to exist in 2007.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Can't deny that we never had a run of success over such a period. Just as well Revie's bungs eventually ran out or they would be top two still. But they also did lose loads of trophies (as you say runners up finalists - not typical of the "greatest") But when you do compare the complete history (which we should) we have won more so we are on an empirical basis the greatest side.

Also tongue in cheek of course but you are referring to a club that ceased to exist in 2007.  

Good point on the bungs, did read something about that but have forgot the details -- guess it could shed more light on Cloughie's jibe about "you can throw all your medals in the bin because you got them from cheating"

Hopefully we can make it to the Premier and rewrite history in our favour :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

And on review, perhaps Huddersfield 1920's side were greater than the Leeds side: three straight wins, and finishing in top 3 for few seasons before and after.

And as clough said revies side won every honour through cheating not one or two individuals but an entire club who used gamesmanship and bribery to achieve success that is why unlike man united or Liverpool the widespread hatred of them is real not born of envy and lives on 50 years later. In summary they've won nothing without cheating or a wednesdayite in charge 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jamiejohn said:

And as clough said revies side won every honour through cheating not one or two individuals but an entire club who used gamesmanship and bribery to achieve success that is why unlike man united or Liverpool the widespread hatred of them is real not born of envy and lives on 50 years later. In summary they've won nothing without cheating or a wednesdayite in charge 

If true (clough) I suppose some would say it was karma they were cheated out of a European Cup.

12 minutes ago, TheRock said:

If true (clough) I suppose some would say it was karma they were cheated out of a European Cup.

They weren't cheated they were unlucky they cheated their way out of relegation early in revies tenure through bribery and achieved success through bribes later on . Moving the argument on shall we mention administration and how they went about it and of course the behaviour of their scumbag fans none of which ties in with the tag greatest 

2 hours ago, TheRock said:

You need to look at our record between 1928 & 1936!