What positions do we need to address?

17 minutes ago, should know better said:

Right back and left back priority.

Very much agree with box-man suggestions (earlier in this thread) of who should be cut.

Hunt is not the best full back but better than Palmer who despite coming through the ranks does not have the attributes. Pudil in his loan period was probably the most effective but like Wallace and Loovens age has caught up with him and them. One caveat perhaps they were so unfit under Carlos that they might recover a little?

Most people realise we need pace and power, need to stop Bannan playing centre back as he is the worst in the league out of possession, get him further up pitch or let go.

Tom Lees needs to toughen up and get back to the form of the play off final season. Cannot believe people would get rid of Hutch our best centre back, midfielder and right back (is he our only scoring full back this season?)

Too difficult to make a decision on forwards after the season and a half under Carlos where we became a defensive long ball team. The first game of the season highlighted this perfectly , 9 men within 30 yards of our goal getting squeezed and then banging long speculative balls up to Rhodes and Nando allowing Preston centre backs to clatter them. Our front men are often starved of support and decent service.

uto

Hutch get's rid of himself. His body just isn't capable of playing more than 15 games a season.

Whoever agreed to a 4 year deal for him is bonkers

Screenshot_20180118-094124.thumb.jpg.30a55ea776446dc70d842d0551645e5f.jpg

This is my view of the best team we could put out at 3 5 2 if everyone was fit.

If we are going to play this system as everyone agrees LB is first priority. CB doesn't look top 6 to me either. Does a two up top and three man midfield favour Forrestieri and Hooper, arguably our best two players ? How do we hold the ball up front if teams press on us and we have to play long ball out of the back? We need an upgraded Joao type player to make that work.

The squad will need major surgery to play this system and some fan favourites might have to go. 

This is difficult question because we donot know what formation he intends to go with. There are a couple of areas we need to address regardless. First is left back because we do not have one who can do a real job, think Pudil is no longer capable of delivering performance in this position. Defensive midfield looks as if being addressed as Hutchinson is only player with enough pace to do that job on his own and his persistent injury problem means unlikely to play in 50% of games. We are short of real pace going forward, but if Jos can somehow get joao and Matias to perform this may not be as big an issue as it looked before he got the job. Think we have real problems in centre of defence at the moment we have gone with 3 centre halves and 3 midfielders in front of them, believe he has done this due to lack of defensive quality in side. i am not certain that we have 2 centre halves capable of playing well consistently as a pair at the back. Lees and Loovens did it with Hutchinson in front of them. For whatever reason Loovens has lost some reaction speed this season and is now prone to errors. Lees has a degenerative tendon injury and has a spell on sidelines each season. i suspect he was playing with injury as been below best this season. Pudil is probably best of rest but not hing more than stop gap solution.Venancio and Van Aken are not good enough for Championship as pair, Venacio looks more capable defensively than Van Aken. Therefore I think 2 centre halves are required going forward, would like to think one of young players could step up but may be not soon enough for teams needs.

I would expect major rebuilding in summer if we are to go for it next year.

15 minutes ago, Peake said:

A left back or left wing back is vital depending on what formation we are playing. if we are going with 4231 we need a pacey right winger as well but if we are sticking with 352 then we probably don't.

Nether of those systems really require a winger

Centre back, ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back ,centre back, centre back, centre back.

Did I mention we need a centre back.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nether of those systems really require a winger

I think if we decided to play 4231 we could do with someone to play on the right hand side of the attacking 3, even if it's a loan. It needs to be someone who can chip in with goals and assists though. Someone like Musonda at Chelsea could be a good shout if the Celtic links aren't serious.

Guest wilyfox

LWB - Agree that Fox is a weak link. Whether we need another LWB depends where Reach is intended to be used. If in central midfield, then defo upgrade on Fox. 

DM - seems Pessy is our man.

RW/SS - with Hooper and FF still out seemingly for the long term, I don't yet trust Matias' renaissance or fitness for the remainder of the season. I'd still like someone with pace to excite. A player like Kebano at Fulham would interest me. 

CB - depends on Jos' assessment of our younger ones, and how long Lees & Hutch are expected to be absent. 

Edited by wilyfox

4 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Agree with OP, right winger is crucial but left wing back is getting to be just as crucial. Fox's form at left back is worrying and either needs coaching up or he picks his performances up because his place in the team is at risk.

The only way we might require a winger, is if we are to persist with a 4-4-2 Personally, I’m hoping this new coach will ditch that particular system

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

The only way we might require a winger, is if we are to persist with a 4-4-2 Personally, I’m hoping this new coach will ditch that particular system

I don't want 4-4-2 either. The right winger would form part of a front 3 in a more 3-4-3 formation. It would give us more flexibility in attack compared to playing 3-5-2. I think we need option to play either 3 across the middle when needing to be tight or 2 across the middle and 3 up top when attacking.