Jordan Rhodes..

We were playing with ten men long before Loovens was sent off with Rhodes in the side.

His work rate was woeful. Joao was doing all of his running and then some.

He doesn't hold the ball up, he doesn't link play and he's got no pace. I'm sick of hearing about how he needs the service, he had the service against Burton and couldn't score a free header from 6-yards.

Nuhiu had more of an impact on the game in five minutes, and before anyone says - No. He's not the answer either.

31 minutes ago, benni8 said:

If he was missing sitters week in.. week out i would understand the questions.

Jordan Rhodes goal formula is simple ... chances/balls into 6 yard box = goals. No balls ito 6 yard box = meh 

Just in the last match Home match against Burton:

Free header 5/6 yards out, somehow managed to pick out their keeper- Absolute sitter.

Cross played in around six yard box-penalty spot, Rhodes ducked underneath it.

Through ball played down side of centre half, any decent touch and Rhodes is in one v one against ‘keeper. Abysmal first touch, Rhodes falls over.

Just three great chances that I picked out from one match, there were more nearly moments as well but these chances are supposed to be his bread and butter - what he’s made a living from and he is constantly failing but people keep on making excuses about lack of supply, give Hooper those three chances and it’s a different story.

Time to start rating him on what we see and stop blaming everyone else for his terrible displays. 

You're all missing the main point here.

Basically his commitment and performances are poor because he doesn't want to be here, his cousin informs me.

Hopefully this will change under the new regime, as past stats speak for themselves and he is obviously capable

Probably should have off loaded him instead of Winnall but lets see how it progresses.

9 minutes ago, Walt said:

Just in the last match Home match against Burton:

Free header 5/6 yards out, somehow managed to pick out their keeper- Absolute sitter.

Cross played in around six yard box-penalty spot, Rhodes ducked underneath it.

Through ball played down side of centre half, any decent touch and Rhodes is in one v one against ‘keeper. Abysmal first touch, Rhodes falls over.

Just three great chances that I picked out from one match, there were more nearly moments as well but these chances are supposed to be his bread and butter - what he’s made a living from and he is constantly failing but people keep on making excuses about lack of supply, give Hooper those three chances and it’s a different story.

Time to start rating him on what we see and stop blaming everyone else for his terrible displays. 

The thing is, Walt, that's what happens when a player's confidence is shot to pieces.

The reason I'd keep him and play to his strengths is that his goalscoring feats of old are in-born, at least at this level.

He's not a player who relies on pace, height or strength; it's just instinct.

I think his confidence was already at a low ebb when he signed, because of what happened at 'Boro.

All we've done here is made it worse.

He struck 89 goals in 159 appearances for Rovers, and it's only 2 years since he left them.

I don't believe that a player who can score all those goals can suddenly lose that ability.

And in any case, lots of players have come here and looked bobby, not just him.

We'd make Ronaldo look merde.

He's no geriatric either, Rhodes, as he's only 27 even now.

1 minute ago, ElsecarOwl said:

You're all missing the main point here.

Basically his commitment and performances are poor because he doesn't want to be here, his cousin informs me.

Hopefully this will change under the new regime, as past stats speak for themselves and he is obviously capable

Probably should have off loaded him instead of Winnall but lets see how it progresses.

Carlos blabbering about the penalty shoot-out didn't help.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The thing is, Walt, that's what happens when a player's confidence is shot to pieces.

The reason I'd keep him and play to his strengths is that his goalscoring feats of old are in-born, at least at this level.

He's not a player who relies on pace, height or strength; it's just instinct.

I think his confidence was already at a low ebb when he signed, because of what happened at 'Boro.

All we've done here is made it worse.

He struck 89 goals in 159 appearances for Rovers, and it's only 2 years since he left them.

I don't believe that a player who can score all those goals can suddenly lose that ability.

And in any case, lots of players have come here and looked bobby, not just him.

We'd make Ronaldo look merde.

He's no geriatric either, Rhodes, as he's only 27 even now.

For me It’s just another excuse to say his confidence is shot (when we point out that he does get the supply). That’s all we get with Rhodes excuse after excuse and harking back to what he used to be like. I go on what I see a player do for us and if anyone was being honest Rhodes has been terrible on his actual performances for Wednesday. To say we’d make Ronaldo look poo is so wide of the mark when Hooper keeps on scoring in this team that creates nothing.

I don’t get it, I’ve nowt against Rhodes as I see he tries, but surely you must give everyone the same chance, Rhodes has done nothing to justify being selected, to keep persevering because of what he did in the past isn’t the way to go imo- no one else should be afforded that luxury either.

15 minutes ago, Walt said:

For me It’s just another excuse to say his confidence is shot (when we point out that he does get the supply). That’s all we get with Rhodes excuse after excuse and harking back to what he used to be like. I go on what I see a player do for us and if anyone was being honest Rhodes has been terrible on his actual performances for Wednesday. To say we’d make Ronaldo look poo is so wide of the mark when Hooper keeps on scoring in this team that creates nothing.

I don’t get it, I’ve nowt against Rhodes as I see he tries, but surely you must give everyone the same chance, Rhodes has done nothing to justify being selected, to keep persevering because of what he did in the past isn’t the way to go imo- no one else should be afforded that luxury either.

I have never known our fanbase to be so lenient on a player and make a list of excuses as long as my arm for the reasons he is not performing.

We’ve had great players at our Club - Brunt got dogs abuse for apparently not putting in 100%. Whelan for not being good enough. More recently, Forestieri for various reasons. By the way, what he did at Norwich was bang out of order. But FF is a top player and has been very good for us.

But it’s never Rhodes’ fault. He has been absolutely dreadful for us. Forget about his goal return which has been poor. I’m more concerned about his overall game - he doesn’t look a footballer. We are effectively playing with 10 men when he plays.

Sadly dont think hes suited to us, fletcher struggles even more for goals, they need good wide players firing in crosses.

Would move him on and replace with a pacy energetic off the shoulder striker if possible who ff, bannan, hooper and maybe lee can link with using quick movement.

Yes get rid, and use any money we can get to bring in a more mobile striker Even if there was any substance to these excuses, Rhodes on his A game, would struggle at this level The only role I can foresee for him here, is as a sub to bring on for the last ten minutes, if all else has failed In reality though, we cannot afford to carry a player like Rhodes

3 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I have never known our fanbase to be so lenient on a player and make a list of excuses as long as my arm for the reasons he is not performing.

We’ve had great players at our Club - Brunt got dogs abuse for apparently not putting in 100%. Whelan for not being good enough. More recently, Forestieri for various reasons. By the way, what he did at Norwich was bang out of order. But FF is a top player and has been very good for us.

But it’s never Rhodes’ fault. He has been absolutely dreadful for us. Forget about his goal return which has been poor. I’m more concerned about his overall game - he doesn’t look a footballer. We are effectively playing with 10 men when he plays.

Yes it's baffling, the shocking miss against Burton was not met with any sort of derision that would be dished out to any other player, but like you say it's the all round game. I know he is / was a penalty box player but I'd expect him to be able to compete with centre backs without falling over (when he first signed he did win quite a few flick ons), I'd expect him to be able to hold the ball up now and again and I'd expect a half decent first touch but you get none of that with him and our fans just blank the lack of ability and say that's not his game and blame someone / something else. Shouldn't a Championship striker have those basic skills?

If we apply the same patience to every other player then fair enough but we don't.  

Guest Copthorneowl

With the best will and all the magnitude going you can't keep judging any football player on his ability two seasons ago every player changes for better or worse over time.

JR has to be judged on what he's done for us and if you like Boro as well if you decide he's struggling for us because of our playing style.  Since playing here he's shown that he's not quick enough, his heading is utterly unconvincing, his hold up play has been poor, link up play, and shooting the same.

Lets face it we were all (well the vast majority) delighted when he signed I certainly was but it's simply not worked out - we all wanted and still want him to do well but surely and clearly it's time to cut the chord you can't keep blaming his performances on style or tactics. Sorry it's a sell from me.

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Yes it's baffling, the shocking miss against Burton was not met with any sort of derision that would be dished out to any other player, but like you say it's the all round game. I know he is / was a penalty box player but I'd expect him to be able to compete with centre backs without falling over (when he first signed he did win quite a few flick ons), I'd expect him to be able to hold the ball up now and again and I'd expect a half decent first touch but you get none of that with him and our fans just blank the lack of ability and say that's not his game and blame someone / something else. Shouldn't a Championship striker have those basic skills?

If we apply the same patience to every other player then fair enough but we don't.  

And at the same time, Nuhiu has had tons of abuse in the last two or three years for not scoring enough goals when a) he didn't cost somewhere north of £7m, b) was never recognised as a prolific scorer in the first place, c) never gives less than 100% and d) actually contributes plenty to the overall team effort outside of just expecting to tap the ball over the line after everyone else has done all the hard work.

6 hours ago, Walt said:

I take your point, Walt, but many of our signings haven't looked great in a Wednesday shirt.

Abdi is a case in point; destroys us, plays 30 games in the PL and looks comfortable, yet he comes here and looks abject.

I really rate Hooper, and his absence very probably cost us a place at Wembley in May at the very least.

Rhodes has been bob here, you're right, but if it's not confidence then why?

That goal-scoring knack is never lost, so there has to be some reason.

Unless he wants out and can't be bothered? That's the only other possibility.

6 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Sadly dont think hes suited to us, fletcher struggles even more for goals, they need good wide players firing in crosses.

Would move him on and replace with a pacy energetic off the shoulder striker if possible who ff, bannan, hooper and maybe lee can link with using quick movement.

To get the best out of him you're gonna need a Gestede alongside him and an Antonio on the wing, and we don't possess either.

You make a good point about Fletcher, because he needs the same and he also has been largely bob.

As with the club there is too much expectation on rhodes. He is second highest scorer behind Hooper who has played more than a third game time. Has double more than fletch. I've watched him in some games and his movement off the ball has been very good in one game he cleverly left the defender in the box but hunt delayed his pass otherwise he would of netted. We need to support our players too much negativity which doesn't help at all.