Jordan Rhodes..

1 hour ago, trask43 said:

We are not going to start playing to his strengths, thats not how football works. If your bottom of the league and have one good player in your side you might start to build a team around them as it makes sense. Good teams have loads of good players and no one gets special treatment the manager picks what he thinks is the best way to play to win games and and all players must adapt or get shipped out. An example would be aguero when guardiola came in he didnt fit his style so often didnt play despite being an amazing goalscorer but he adapted his game worked harder fit in to the new system and gets a game now.

A more relevant example might be billy sharp. A very similar player to rhodes a good finisher but the rest of his game is poor. For a team like donny in there hayday he was the best player they had so they built a team around him set up to feed him he scored 20 goals a season and they just about managed to stay in the league. Now look at sharp at his time at dem blades hes still a great goalscorer but their manager isnt building a team to help him out hes quickly identified that you need more at this level and if sharp cant fit that then he wont play and players like clarke donaldson and now wilson from man u are all in front of him because they have attributes that work at this level despite all being far worse goalscorers than sharp.

Its been said a million times on here but some still cant accept it players like rhodes are nearly finished in the game, the game has moved on in the last 10 years you cant just be a goalhanger anymore just like you can just be a 'hardman' you need as many facets to your game as possible.

Good point that - one which Wilder pretty much confirmed last night, when asked why he didn't bring him on. Wilder said, it would have meant changing the formation and he wasn't prepared to do that (even though they weren't being successful at the time).

So, some similarities with Rhodes, but Rhodes is currently playing as we don't have options.

It will be interesting what JL does, but for the next three months Rhodes will get plenty of game time due to the injury situation, so he has to take advantage of this if he wants to be here next season. If he doesn't, i would prefer to cash him in and start next season with Winnall. If he does, and we build around him, then Winnall may end up bringing in a profit - so the situation will look at look more positive than at present.

it's going to be impossible to judge any of our side until jos has had control of them for quite a few weeks to come, you cannot judge people on their previous form when they had been through the mangle of carvalhal's tactic.

we have a squad full of promising strikers, once we've shored up at the back, we'll have chance to see what we have up top when they get some proper service.

We won't know if Rhodes will come good for us until we find out what system Jos is going to play. If we go with 1 up front we might as well sell him now, if we play with 2 or go 433 he might come good.  I'd be prepared to try to find a way of utilising his abilities because he is a proven goal scorer.

We would lose a lot of money selling him at this stage. If a big offer did come in then maybe we should take it but once we start trying to off load him I think the price drops.

Guest RocketOwl
11 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Carlos`s tactics would turn Messi into a shocking player. 

Play to Rhodes strengths and he guarantees you goals.  

What are you watching 

13 hours ago, slow83 said:

We’ve got to get behind Rhodes. Under Jos he has a chance to get back to being the player who has been the best striker outside the Prem over the last few seasons. 

Lets not forget, Carlos admitted earlier this season that Rhodes was now doing exactly what he asked him to do.....which was to stop chasing the ball! Absolutely crazy thing to ask a top striker to completely change his game.

It’ll take some coaxing to get him back to his natural game. Let’s hope Jos can do that. An inform Jordan Rhodes is a huge asset and someone other teams will fear again.

All the real predators like Lineker, rush, didn't chase the ball around the pitch all game they were patient, they would stay in the areas where they needed to be, so when an opportunity arose they were on it nd in the right place to score. Jordan used to be very good at this, but Carlos wanted him to get involved link play be involved in the general tippy tappy build up and play cohesively in the team. 

When at Blackburn and Huddersfield he'd just ghost around the box awaiting an opportunity to arise, for me this is what he needs to go back to hopefully if we start getting back to playing on the front foot and committing bodies forward it will allow him the space to do this. Stood up top trying to play as a target man on the break is clearly NOT his game. 

I actually think football tactics have changed significantly in last few years with strikers having to work harder and make tackles. Rhodes is an old fashioned poacher but very few teams play this way in Championship. For some years you have not been able to have a luxury player in team that does not work and think that is now true in Championship. To Rhodes credit he does try to chase down and work for team but is not designed for this role. At Blackburn remember comments being made about how many good players they had but finished mid table, they were set up with Rhodes as poacher it may result in him scoring lots of goals but does not make for succesful side. Think we have to accept he is unlikely to be a first choice striker in promotion winning team.

• Like 1

For me, the Rhodes issue personifies where we have gone wrong When DC first came in, his ideas and the direction in which we were moving in, were clearly what was needed We needed to modernise, to get with what was happening at this level However, Probably ill advised, we started to take a different direction, and began recruiting “past their sell buy date championship players” We were at odds with what the better teams were doing We resorted to negative tactics to try and hang on in there It was destined to fail, in my opinion The signing of Rhodes was the ultimate folly

The head start we had, and the money we’ve wasted, is criminal, but it’s done now Hopefully DC has learned the lesson, and the new coach will be allowed to continue to modernise the club This will mean getting rid of most of the championship has beens It sounds ruthless, but we have no option, if we want to progress

Edited by gurujuan

The thing I find strange is the continual argument we must play to JR’s strengths. For me he should be treat like every other player and prove himself worthy of a place in the team. I think Jos now has the luxury of treating him this way as he didn’t shell out silly money on him. 

Great post Trask.

Players now need a turn of speed and acceleration particularly from a standing start to get that extra yard.

He still has value but perhaps not suited to the speed and rapid movement required to be a top 2 Championship player.

Not mobile enough or strong enough or tall enough for me.

39 minutes ago, dnhc said:

it's going to be impossible to judge any of our side until jos has had control of them for quite a few weeks to come, you cannot judge people on their previous form when they had been through the mangle of carvalhal's tactic.

we have a squad full of promising strikers, once we've shored up at the back, we'll have chance to see what we have up top when they get some proper service.

i think most of our players are decent. just lost their way. lets see what a new manager and formation will bring

Guest Bulgaria

I like Rhodes, always wanted him at Hillsborough. He seems a cracking bloke. However, up to now there is no denying he has been proper cak. In his mitigation the service he gets is also proper cak.

Ain't giving up on him yet though.

Let's hope a new manager can get him firing again. It looks like he needs a damn good cuddle.

Guest Bulgaria
4 minutes ago, billyblack said:

i think most of our players are decent. just lost their way. lets see what a new manager and formation will bring

Never a truer word spoken... Apart from...." Carlos agreed to take over at Swansea before the boro game"

2 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Agreed. There are a lot of delusional posters on here who think he will suddenly come good under a new Manager and he will start scoring a boat load of goals. It isn’t going to happen. He’s not given the team anything up front and he’s doesn’t look like scoring.

Exactly. Anyone who has watched his contribution over the last 11 months cannot really believe he will come good for us, I think it's just hope. We also cannot ignore the number of good chances he has missed this season and that is (or was) his strength.

I would never question his desire or effort though.

13 hours ago, Tyto Alba said:

Proven goalscorer at this level he hasn't become bad overnight.  We know he's never been utilised properly, judge him when he's had the chance to play in a system that suits his talent.

The longest night in Sheffield Wednesday history .........

He's been at the club over 12 months .......

Looking forward to "the Dawn Chorus" and the beginning of a "New Day" and 30 plus goals ........

It will come...

He has spent months having his natural game drilled out of him - and his best 'foil' was swapped for a bag of poo from Derby.

We can't let him be one of the numerous players that have come to us with ability that we craved when signing them - only to fail here, and then pick it up again after a move out.

2 hours ago, A12owl said:

Did he have any chances laid on for him? No.

With comments like those on here there is no wonder he is lacking in confidence. The only chance he had was when he went for the rebound off the keeper. Unless we play to his strengths then he will not score like he did previously. A stat which appeared on screen during the match was he has scored more goals in the championship 96 than anybody else.

Perhaps our new manager should watch some old videos of him scoring for Huddersfield and Blackburn and play a similar game. 

So we spent £8 million on the wrong player then? Plus when he does get opportunity he’s simply not been clinical enough. We needed a player to spark his own initiative or with a very high conversion rate.

FWIW I’m not writing anyone off till the end of the season under Jos. However you can’t deny that he’s been nothing but a rank disappointment. Sure bat$hit management and tactics haven’t helped but it’s still a fact that we needed a player to make something happen under the old regieme. Maybe the style under Jos will be more suited to Rhodes,  we shall see. How many chances does he get though?