Jordan Rhodes..

So many slating our own players takes the gloss off of last night for me. It’s a shame, unlike some of our other players not playing to their potential - at least Rhodes looks to be putting in a shift, that’s not what he’s famous for. I’d rather him running less, chasing less, scoring more! 

At least two or three players looked like new players last night. Hopefully this continues and we see much more from Rhodes and a few others. 

As we become more stable and solid I do expect to see our attackers have a fresh look! With them able to concentrate on creating / scoring rather than defending and covering for tactical errors.

• Thanks 1

Whatever the issue is with him, he's not done it despite changes in strike partner and formation.

He doesn't deserve his place in the team and is definitely on borrowed time. 

His major problem is he doesn't make things happen for himself, and his whole game is based on snapping up half chances in the box or having chances put on a plate for him.

He needs a new start somewhere else , that's for sure.

5 hours ago, The Captain said:

An expensive gamble on promotion, which shows poor judgement by the club - yes.

A player that lacks pace, strength and ariel ability for a striker - yes.

An unnecessary signing when we already had 5 first team strikers, plus Forestieri, Matias and Hirst - yes.

One of the highest paid players in the division, when the club should be concerned about FFP and P&S - don’t know but I would speculate, quite possible.

A shocking footballer - no, that’s not true.  Rhodes’ goal record throughout his career speaks for itself.  Just because Cowboy Carvalhal and Dejphon dropped a b*llock with this signing, doesn’t mean Rhodes isn’t good enough to play in the Championship.

When playing up front in the modern game, you need to have something about you. You need to be either physical and be able to put yourself about, good at holding the ball up and laying it off, pace and movement or linking play like Hooper does.

He can’t do anything - he is effectively redundant. I’ve watched him play so

many times over the last 11 months and he doesn’t give the team anything. It’s becoming a joke and I’m really losing patience with him.

Its all well and good saying he’s scored goals for Huddersfield and Blackburn. Football has moved on from those days and the playing style has changed. He’s probably suited to playing with a big man in a 4-4-2 with wingers who get crosses in all the time and he could feed off the scraps. However, not many teams play like this and why should we change our playing style and personnel in the hope that we can get the best out of him?

I’ve seen enough.  It’s not going to happen here for him. If there is any chance of offloading him

and recouping part of the fee we paid for

him and also save £40k in wages, we should do it. 

8 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

When playing up front in the modern game, you need to have something about you. You need to be either physical and be able to put yourself about, good at holding the ball up and laying it off, pace and movement or linking play like Hooper does.

He can’t do anything - he is effectively redundant. I’ve watched him play so

many times over the last 11 months and he doesn’t give the team anything. It’s becoming a joke and I’m really losing patience with him.

Its all well and good saying he’s scored goals for Huddersfield and Blackburn. Football has moved on from those days and the playing style has changed. He’s probably suited to playing with a big man in a 4-4-2 with wingers who get crosses in all the time and he could feed off the scraps. However, not many teams play like this and why should we change our playing style and personnel in the hope that we can get the best out of him?

I’ve seen enough.  It’s not going to happen here for him. If there is any chance of offloading him

and recouping part of the fee we paid for

him and also save £40k in wages, we should do it. 

Yes, getting rid of him is our best chance of rebuilding the side We won’t even get a fraction of the fee we paid, but that situation is only going to get worse If we can find a club who will give us £2 or £3m, we should take it Nowadays, his level is Division One

11 hours ago, Skiptonowl said:

There will be no place for Rhodes when everyone is fit. He sadly offers nothing.

Apart from the instinct to be in the right place at the right time , just because he’s not playing well this season the same can be said of many to be fair. 

Last night he followed a ball in from Wallace’s shot I think , if the keeper had let it pop out as they often do he would have scored.

The only problem with Rhodes is that neither Middlesbrough or Ourselves have played to his strengths , that’s two years of doubt and confidence sapping time from him. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, getting rid of him is our best chance of rebuilding the side We won’t even get a fraction of the fee we paid, but that situation is only going to get worse If we can find a club who will give us £2 or £3m, we should take it Nowadays, his level is Division One

I think we will get £3m max and I would take that. It will save £40k in wages and that will enable us to bring 2 or 3 in.

Ive totally had it with him. He’s offering nothing to the side. 

9 hours ago, scottydog said:

Apart for... Scoring goals, ffs we wanted him, he's ours... Support him, support them all...Wednesday fans can be great but can be sh!t 

I do and will support him of course no question about that.

If last night was anything to go by, the coach will expect similar effort and work rate from his players While I have no issues with the effort that Rhodes put in, as his admirers note, that’s not his game

As such, we don’t need to wait until May to assess him As I said, it isn’t going to happen for him here, so let’s retrieve what we can, and move on

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If last night was anything to go by, the coach will expect similar effort and work rate from his players While I have no issues with the effort that Rhodes put in, as his admirers note, that’s not his game

As such, we don’t need to wait until May to assess him As I said, it isn’t going to happen for him here, so let’s retrieve what we can, and move on

Agreed. There are a lot of delusional posters on here who think he will suddenly come good under a new Manager and he will start scoring a boat load of goals. It isn’t going to happen. He’s not given the team anything up front and he’s doesn’t look like scoring.

Not sure how he’s going to fit in going forward. He’s not got the ability to drop off and keep possession like Joao did last night and Hooper does when fit. He’s not a traditional target man in the Fletcher/Nuhiu mould. If we continue to play 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 I struggle to see how we’re going to get the best out of him TBH.

We have never played the system that can benefit Rhodes, he plays off a tall striker. For years we said we need a finisher and he can be that type of player. He is low on confidence but I thought he was more mobile last night and put a shift in which we hadn't seen before. Fitness has been a problem for all and he like all the others will start playing with more energy when fitter. We need to get crosses in for him and a big forward then he will start scoring.

What ever people think he needs our support, we don't want to destroy his confidence any more, let Jos work with him. He must have seen something in the short time he has been here to pick him ahead of big Dave yesterday

We are not going to start playing to his strengths, thats not how football works. If your bottom of the league and have one good player in your side you might start to build a team around them as it makes sense. Good teams have loads of good players and no one gets special treatment the manager picks what he thinks is the best way to play to win games and and all players must adapt or get shipped out. An example would be aguero when guardiola came in he didnt fit his style so often didnt play despite being an amazing goalscorer but he adapted his game worked harder fit in to the new system and gets a game now.

A more relevant example might be billy sharp. A very similar player to rhodes a good finisher but the rest of his game is poor. For a team like donny in there hayday he was the best player they had so they built a team around him set up to feed him he scored 20 goals a season and they just about managed to stay in the league. Now look at sharp at his time at dem blades hes still a great goalscorer but their manager isnt building a team to help him out hes quickly identified that you need more at this level and if sharp cant fit that then he wont play and players like clarke donaldson and now wilson from man u are all in front of him because they have attributes that work at this level despite all being far worse goalscorers than sharp.

Its been said a million times on here but some still cant accept it players like rhodes are nearly finished in the game, the game has moved on in the last 10 years you cant just be a goalhanger anymore just like you can just be a 'hardman' you need as many facets to your game as possible.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trask43 said:

We are not going to start playing to his strengths, thats not how football works. If your bottom of the league and have one good player in your side you might start to build a team around them as it makes sense. Good teams have loads of good players and no one gets special treatment the manager picks what he thinks is the best way to play to win games and and all players must adapt or get shipped out. An example would be aguero when guardiola came in he didnt fit his style so often didnt play despite being an amazing goalscorer but he adapted his game worked harder fit in to the new system and gets a game now.

A more relevant example might be billy sharp. A very similar player to rhodes a good finisher but the rest of his game is poor. For a team like donny in there hayday he was the best player they had so they built a team around him set up to feed him he scored 20 goals a season and they just about managed to stay in the league. Now look at sharp at his time at dem blades hes still a great goalscorer but their manager isnt building a team to help him out hes quickly identified that you need more at this level and if sharp cant fit that then he wont play and players like clarke donaldson and now wilson from man u are all in front of him because they have attributes that work at this level despite all being far worse goalscorers than sharp.

Its been said a million times on here but some still cant accept it players like rhodes are nearly finished in the game, the game has moved on in the last 10 years you cant just be a goalhanger anymore just like you can just be a 'hardman' you need as many facets to your game as possible.

Very good post and I completely agree. 

1 hour ago, trask43 said:

This

Best post I have seen regarding Jordan Rhodes, well put.

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Keith Andrews said he would benefit from Winnall as a partner. 

I was going to post this regarding Winnall

I see them as a good duo. Winnall is a grafter and Rhodes will feed off his scraps.

Saying that you don't replace Hooper