Jordan Rhodes..

So, my view on Rhodes then.

On top of his form, we’d be drooling over his God-given talent to finish off chances. A natural born finisher, one of the best, worth the gamble of signing him but.......

Out of confidence = out of form. 

The poor bloke has been at the wrong clubs for too long, and lost his confidence, and his ability to sniff out goals. He’s been dropped, criticised, and playing in teams that haven’t put chances in the right areas for him. Address that, and provide chances for him on a regular basis, and he’ll start to remember what he was good at, and come good again, as his confidence comes back. 

Meantime, at the end of the season, and if its ok with Derby, if they’re sure, and really don’t mind, and are really nice to us, we should get Winnall back to help the goal cause.

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

So, my view on Rhodes then.

On top of his form, we’d be drooling over his God-given talent to finish off chances. A natural born finisher, one of the best, worth the gamble of signing him but.......

Out of confidence = out of form. 

The poor bloke has been at the wrong clubs for too long, and lost his confidence, and his ability to sniff out goals. He’s been dropped, criticised, and playing in teams that haven’t put chances in the right areas for him. Address that, and provide chances for him on a regular basis, and he’ll start to remember what he was good at, and come good again, as his confidence comes back. 

Meantime, at the end of the season, and if its ok with Derby, if they’re sure, and really don’t mind, and are really nice to us, we should get Winnall back to help the goal cause.

Wouldn't mind being a Fiver behind him though? 

7 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Wouldn't mind being a Fiver behind him though? 

Me neither mate. But worth every penny if he re-discovers his touch. 

Comes down to that rare commodity in football again though doesn’t it? Patience I mean. Stay patient, don’t get on his back, get behind him to help him through his sticky patch, and we’ll reap the reward eventually.

He’s a bit average at the moment, but we’ve seen countless times how a bit of confidence makes all the difference, sometimes almost overnight.

He’s one of us as far as I am concerned, and will be totally chuffed when our Jordan starts banging them in again. And if he does, you can also be assured we’ll be on the promotion trail at last.

Good ambition shown by our Chairman, that hopefully will be rewarded before too long.

Edited by theowlsman

Just now, theowlsman said:

Me neither mate. But worth every penny is he re-discovers his touch. 

Comes down to that rare commodity in football again though doesn’t it? Patience I mean. Stay patient, don’t get on his back, get behind him to help him through his sticky patch, and we’ll reap the reward eventually.

He’s a bit average at the moment, but we’ve seen countless times how a bit of confidence makes all the difference, sometimes almost overnight.

He’s one if us as far as I am concerned, and will be totally chuffed when iur Jordan starts banging them in again. And if he does, you can also be assured we’ll be on the promotion trail at last.

Good ambition shown by our Chairman, that hopefully will be rewarded before too long.

This is more than hope than expectation! I’ve seen enough over the last 11 months. Forget about goals for a minute! If he can’t do the basic requirements of a modern day striker, then you have a problem. He can’t hold the ball up, he’s constantly falling over, he hasn’t any pace, he can’t link play. He’s not giving the team anything. It’s like playing with 10 men.

There will have to be a serious improvement in his game to recover. I don’t see it - I’ve seen enough!

Championship minutes per goal 2017/8

Winnall           136

Hooper           193  (215 not including penalty)

Nuhiu              255

Joao               259

Rhodes          304  (406 not including penalty)

Lee                 335

Fletcher          536

Reach             607

So he's ranked 5th out of our 6 strikers at the ONE thing he's supposed to be any good at, has a strike rate barely much better than one of our central midfielders and is scoring at only double the rate of our left winger / part-time left back? 

And quite apart from any of that, he offers almost nothing else. He can't hold the ball up, can't run at opponents with the ball, doesn't win much in the air, looks laboured and lazy, falls over rather than battles and would struggle to beat Nuhiu in a chase for a ball behind the defence. Of course, the over-cautious style of Carvalhal has limited his opportunities, but as can be seen above that has not prevented other players from out-scoring him. Watch him objectively and ignore the most overblown statistic in all of football. Does he look like a good player? Sadly, I don't think we're going to see much better from him. The best we can hope for is that he goes on a scoring run which will disguise his painful limitations. Confidence can be a factor for players at times, but here it is just being used as a hopeful excuse. 

Not only that, he was a signing at a position where we were already loaded with experienced players and the enormous fee has left us in an FFP situation where we are struggling to reinforce weaker areas of the squad. Though obviously, those factors are not his fault. 

Overall, a terrible signing, rivalled only by that of Francis Jeffers in all my years of following the club (back to the 1970s).

Edited by DJMortimer

12 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

SWFC : 27+19 appearances, 9 goals, in just short of 12 months.

Since mid October 2015 he's scored a grand total of 19 at three clubs.

Edited by DJMortimer

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Did he have any chances laid on for him? No.

With comments like those on here there is no wonder he is lacking in confidence. The only chance he had was when he went for the rebound off the keeper. Unless we play to his strengths then he will not score like he did previously. A stat which appeared on screen during the match was he has scored more goals in the championship 96 than anybody else.

Perhaps our new manager should watch some old videos of him scoring for Huddersfield and Blackburn and play a similar game. 

He's missed quite a few good chances this season

2 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

He’s missed a load of sitters this season. When you are not converting sitters when supposedly you are a good finisher and you are not bringing anything else to the table, then there is a serious problem. 

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

In fairness has anybody scored many goals this season? 

Put the season so far out of any thoughts because it was a Carlos catastrophe. 

You can't criticise any player because Carlos seemed to have ruined their will and natural ability and fitness.

Give Jos a few weeks and hopefully the whole squad including the walking wounded will be transformed.

Rhodes included  .

Hooper?

2 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

I take it like rocket owl your not a fan of his bud. 

Personally I havnt written him off just yet. For me new manager fresh clean slate for everyone let's see what he's like after a few games under Jos and see if Jos can utilise him and get him scoring again if it clicks he can maybe start to fire us back up the table. 

If not we try to move him on in the summer if we can and get a replacement in. 

54 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

SWFC : 27+19 appearances, 9 goals, in just short of 12 months.

Since mid October 2015 he's scored a grand total of 19 at three clubs.

So we can assess him on form before October 2015 or form over the last 27 months. There's the saying that best indicator of future performance is the most recent performance. Sadly the answer is there.

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Wakefield owl said:

So we can assess him on form before October 2015 or form over the last 27 months. There's the saying that best indicator of future performance is the most recent performance. Sadly the answer is there.

But we need to build the team around him!!!!

8 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I take it like rocket owl your not a fan of his bud. 

Personally I havnt written him off just yet. For me new manager fresh clean slate for everyone let's see what he's like after a few games under Jos and see if Jos can utilise him and get him scoring again if it clicks he can maybe start to fire us back up the table. 

If not we try to move him on in the summer if we can and get a replacement in. 

Not a case of being a fan or not - I actually think he's one of the more honest and likeable footballers around.

I just base my view on what I have seen over 11 months.

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, A12owl said:

In fairness has anybody scored many goals this season? 

Put the season so far out of any thoughts because it was a Carlos catastrophe. 

You can't criticise any player because Carlos seemed to have ruined their will and natural ability and fitness.

Give Jos a few weeks and hopefully the whole squad including the walking wounded will be transformed.

Rhodes included  .

Well done. A new excuse.

Thought Brian laws made a good point when he said he was disappointed that Rhodes and joao didnt play as well together as they probably should. He said they need to play closer to each other, anticipating what each was going to do. As he also said, they looked like 2 individuals last night.

Genuinely think there's something to work with. If only we had a pacey winger who could get decent balls in the box. That's when we'd see the JR we all wanted here.

Edited by poite

1 minute ago, Wakefield owl said:

Not a case of being a fan or not - I actually think he's one of the more honest and likeable footballers around.

I just base my view on what I have seen over 11 months.

I'll admit, I don't think he's been good enough, missed a lot of chances over the last 11 months and lve also lost confidence in his ability, but as I said new gaffer, new tactics, let's see if he can unearth the old Rhodes, if not in the summer, we take the hit and admit it just hasn't worked out and move him on.