Jordan Rhodes..

7 hours ago, McRightSide said:

6 years playing in the Landesliga

Ha ha, but that's not the Bundesliga.

Whenever I've seen German football it's looked physical, and German players are large in the main.

The type of football you describe is more akin to that played by the Dutch.

2 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Thankfully if we keep the system that Jos played Friday night and with players returning this system could suit Jordan. Allows you to play 2 up top, has width from the wing backs, which we will hopefully improve this transfer window and has 2 central players who can get up and support, like Reach and Wallace did. I hope he didn't just play the system because of who we had injured and because it was a derby game, I do hope he sticks to it just with more attacking personnel in it when players are fit 

You're dreaming if you think JR is going to turn back time. Even Cher culdnt do it 

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:50, adifferentgame said:

You agree that Rhodes was in the box.

You accept that the delivery was nowhere near Rhodes.

You (hopefully) understand that a whipped ball needs to be more precise than a lofted one in order for a player to have a reasonable chance to move and intercept its trajectory.

Given the above, which of the following options is the more reasonable assessment?

- The ball from Pudil wasn't accurate enough and needed to be closer to Rhodes.

- Rhodes should be faster than Superman (ability to fly optional).

Towards the end of the first half we had a breakaway with reach which ended up with Wallace getting played in towards inside left position.  Wallace took the wrong option and tried to shoot but what was interesting was the movement in the box before he shot.

Palmer, Reach and I think Joao all make runs to potentially get on the end of a cross. Rhodes ambles to the edge of the box - nothing positive or direct.

If Wallace had crossed he would have been nowhere near it.

Fed  up of reading about not playing to his strengths.

There seems to be some sort of myth on here that Jordan Rhodes needs more crosses into the box before he'll start scoring goals.

I have also seen people claiming that he's had chances and he's not taking them, hence he's now rubbish.

If you look at 90% of the chances we have created for Jordan Rhodes since he's come to the club, they are predominantly headers where the ball has been crossed in from a wide position. Now although you expect a striker with his record to be competent in the air, if you go on YouTube and have a look at any of his goals compilations from his most prolific spells at Huddersfield and Blackburn, you'll see that the vast majority of his goals have come when the ball is played in to his feet and his headed goals were very much in the minority.

It's there for anyone to see and that is why I would give him more time as since his time at the club we have never given him the type of service he has enjoyed during the more prolific spells in his career. I'm hoping Jos can address this.

I guarantee that if we were to sell Rhodes to another Championship club, it wouldn't be long before he started banging in the goals for fun as he has done his entire career.

26 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

You're dreaming if you think JR is going to turn back time. Even Cher culdnt do it 

To be fair, Cher is trying other ways to turn it back WTF:

I've come to the conclusion that Rhodes actually hinders teams, because the only way he scores loads of goals is playing to his strengths, so you basically become a 'one man team',

Huddesfield got promoted to the Championship in 2012 with Jordan, but sold him to Blackburn before that season started, 5 years later Udders are in the Prem.

Blackburn struggled in the Championship for the 3 1/2 seasons he was there, although he scored 85 goals in 169 games.

You can afford to play to Jordan's strengths in L1, but it obviously doesn't work in the Championship.

Edited by Weshallovercome

24 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

Scored more championship goals than anyone else over last five years.

Appalling player!

If he comes good, I will hold my hand up and believe me I want him to come good because it will benefit the team.

However, he has been dreadful so far. He

has given the team nothing and only given his previous reputation and goal record a number of years ago has given him some time with some of our fans.  Huge improvement is needed but given what I’ve seen, Im not holding much hope.

Guest RocketOwl

Just watched the 4-4 game agasint Huddersfield, where I imagine most of the good faith has come from.

Everyone should watch that highlight reel. Rhodes is a different player there - he even runs normally. He's stockier and more robust. He certainly no fairy there.

i honestly don't have anything more to say on the matter. I hope he gets back to the striker we saw that day. His 3rd and 4th goals are through balls for those who say he only scores crosses.

1 hour ago, Davidioso said:

Scored more championship goals than anyone else over last five years.

Appalling player!

The stupidity of referring to stats over the course of seasons on a clearly declining asset. There is a thing called depreciation. 

Brazilian Ronaldo scored 247 goals over the course of his career.

The first 13 seasons he scored 220 goals at 16.92 goals per season. 

In his last 5 seasons he scored 27 at 5.4 a season. 

So the fantasists can quote some spurious figures based on the player of confidence, youth and a bit of spurt whereas the realists look at the lad now and see a shell of a player that once was and weep for the fantasists which unfortunately include our Chairman. 

6 hours ago, steelowl said:

:biggrin:

that's a heck of a comeback tbf 

It is, and I concede that our football is quicker than in Germany.

Sausage-side there is indeed more technique than here, I'd say, but the Germans are a big race and many of the players are solidly built.

Some of them are like house sides.

But I guess the comparison isn't really between here and Germany anyway, it's between Germany and Portugal. lol

I just hope that there's more emphasis on physique and conditioning now Jos is here.

• Like 1

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, DuttyTeabags said:

The stupidity of referring to stats over the course of seasons on a clearly declining asset. There is a thing called depreciation. 

Brazilian Ronaldo scored 247 goals over the course of his career.

The first 13 seasons he scored 220 goals at 16.92 goals per season. 

In his last 5 seasons he scored 27 at 5.4 a season. 

So the fantasists can quote some spurious figures based on the player of confidence, youth and a bit of spurt whereas the realists look at the lad now and see a shell of a player that once was and weep for the fantasists which unfortunately include our Chairman. 

Exactly.

Look back at the 4-4 game even his run is different. That may seem like a strange comment - for me his run now is very flimsy and slow. I don't know if there is an underlying injury. In the 4-4 game he looks stronger and more combative. Now he looks like you say boo and he would fall over. Never the fastest - but he's still looks to have lost a bit of pace he did have.

2 hours ago, ka58 said:

Towards the end of the first half we had a breakaway with reach which ended up with Wallace getting played in towards inside left position.  Wallace took the wrong option and tried to shoot but what was interesting was the movement in the box before he shot.

Palmer, Reach and I think Joao all make runs to potentially get on the end of a cross. Rhodes ambles to the edge of the box - nothing positive or direct.

If Wallace had crossed he would have been nowhere near it.

Fed  up of reading about not playing to his strengths.

This is the moment you're talking about:

rds.thumb.jpg.50100541ce0882810696734ac16b3e6b.jpg

Note that Rhodes made two movements prior to this point, the first towards the ball and the second into the area vacated by the defender tracking him, leaving him in space just outside the box. Wallace cuts inside rather than crossing here and, as you suggest, makes perhaps the wrong choice. There's little wrong with Rhodes' position here, and the right ball from Wallace may well have resulted in him scoring.

Rhodes also won the header (from Fox's hopeful crossfield ball) which found Reach and created this chance in the first place.

I'm disappointed Jordan Rhodes hasn't been prolific for us. I'm disappointed he doesn't seem to get on the end of many chances. I'm disappointed we spent 18 months playing turgid, negative football built on a foundation of being so scared of conceding we were timid about taking the necessary risks to unlock a defence.

Likewise I'm disappointed in the way many of our fans are so intent on bashing him that they make venomous accusations of lack of effort or "nothing positive or direct" in spite of evidence to the contrary.

I thought Rhodes made a decent go of it the other night, despite spending a large percentage of his time on the pitch isolated and chasing clearances rather than direct passes. He was blowing quite hard early in the second half and was rightfully replaced. As with most of our squad, I wonder how much difference a month of intensive fitness training will make to his fortunes.

FYI: I made no mention of "playing to his strengths", but I'm sure that doing so does not include Pudil whipping balls in nowhere near him or Wallace ignoring him in favour of taking on a low percentage shot.

PS Rhodes was also the quickest outfield player to respond to the goalkeeper spilling the ball.

Edited by adifferentgame
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

This is the moment you're talking about:

rds.thumb.jpg.50100541ce0882810696734ac16b3e6b.jpg

Note that Rhodes made two movements prior to this point, the first towards the ball and the second into the area vacated by the defender tracking him, leaving him in space just outside the box. Wallace cuts inside rather than crossing here and, as you suggest, makes perhaps the wrong choice. There's little wrong with Rhodes' position here, and the right ball from Wallace may well have resulted in him scoring.

Rhodes also won the header (from Fox's hopeful crossfield ball) which found Reach and created this chance in the first place.

I'm disappointed Jordan Rhodes hasn't been prolific for us. I'm disappointed he doesn't seem to get on the end of many chances. I'm disappointed we spent 18 months playing turgid, negative football built on a foundation of being so scared of conceding we were timid about taking the necessary risks to unlock a defence.

Likewise I'm disappointed in the way many of our fans are so intent on bashing him that they make venomous accusations of lack of effort or "nothing positive or direct" in spite of evidence to the contrary.

I thought Rhodes made a decent go of it the other night, despite spending a large percentage of his time on the pitch isolated and chasing clearances rather than direct passes. He was blowing quite hard early in the second half and was rightfully replaced. As with most of our squad, I wonder how much difference a month of intensive fitness training will make to his fortunes.

FYI: I made no mention of "playing to his strengths", but I'm sure that doing so does not include Pudil whipping balls in nowhere near him or Wallace ignoring him in favour of taking on a low percentage shot.

PS Rhodes was also the quickest outfield player to respond to the goalkeeper spilling the ball.

No it’s not that one - as I said it was at the end of the first half. Wallace's shot went wide.

Must have took you ages that as well ;)

The playing to his strengths thing wasn’t aimed at you per se.

Edited by ka58

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, ka58 said:

No it’s not that one - as I said it was at the end of the first half. Wallace's shot went wide.

I also think his movement for the cross Pudil put in during the second half was suspect.

The miss at home to Burton was a cross.

He had three crosses away at Bolton which he missed.

I feel we are putting the crosses in for him?

13 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

Think the supporters been quite kind to Rhodes overall.

Heard loads of times that people felt sorry for him as we have brought a player that doesn't suit Wednesday style.

His confidence looks very low at the moment.
But weather his fault or not you don't buy a player for that money and wait for him to come good you buy with expectation he will hit the ground running.

Thumbs down for this signing.

Okay. So assuming you're talking about the Reach to Joao to Wallace chance, there's nothing wrong with Rhodes movement here either. He's ghosting on the ball-side shoulder of the defender, in between the sticks and in a pocket of space.

He might not be sprinting like a madman, but just because he's not busting a gut doesn't mean his movement is wrong.