The last few weeks of George Hirst

14 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

Classic avoidance of fact statement ! What on earth have these two got to do with the subject matter of my post and the Academy wage structure. Keep to the point.

Eh?

Its making the comparison that you yourself are making

Paying players a mighty sum of money more than others

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Pulixifer said:

The club was fair to George. Unfortunately he wasn't.

Nah, his dad wasn't happy with us signing every forward under the sun, the Winnall signing ended all hope.

Chansiri/CC blocked his progression, the loan move was offered, but only if a deal was agreed. 

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

Next time there’s a Steering Group people should keep asking where the ‘Hirst money’ went!? Like the good old days! 

That's easy, it's getting spent on Atts birthday party, he's hiring a bouncy castle whilst Carlos dressed as a clown is going to perform juggling acts with 20 pound notes

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Eh?

Its making the comparison that you yourself are making

Paying players a mighty sum of money more than others

There is a vast difference between senior players at the club and a very young professional.I am comparing academy player to academy player, at no point have I mentioned the senior players, that I'm afraid is in your imagination. Please do not attribute content to me that I have not said.. False news is not the way to go.

You appear to starting so many new threads at the moment that you are repeating yourself and may be at risk of becoming confused.

47 minutes ago, ramone said:

There's only ONE thing it represents Neil

Money is ruining the game. When you get young kids driving such a hard bargain when they haven't achieved literally a single thing in the game you know its time to give up. Its as simple as that.

Well done Sheffield Wednesday for not buckling. 

I can’t believe folk aren’t seeing the obvious. 

George Hirst would fetch in millions should he even look remotely decent in the first team. That’s how it works. He’s a prolific scorer at every level he’s played at. He’s an England regular. The son of the great David Hirst. A Wednesday legend. He would make the club a fortune and I’m sure he, his family and advisors know that too. So you’d assume there’d be some middle ground. 

You’d have to be all kinds of stupid not to see all that. 

You spu.nkd the best part of £10m on Rhodes remember. With no chance of ever getting even half that back. Not to mention the huge wage he pulls. 

Van Aken wasn’t cheap. Venancio exists somewhere. I might be biased on Butters, but did you even need him? You’ve even agreed a deal there permanently. FF threw his teddy out and refused to play, yet he’s still here. He even chinned Winnall. Still here. You signed Boyd remember, he isn’t paid in buttons trust me.

But trying to retain Hirst would amount to buckling? 

The club has scored the greatest of own goals. And sadly, it’s just one of many own goals in the last year or two. 

I don’t believe DC is doing anything with ulterior motives. I think he’s genuinely Wednesday. But I think he assumed promotion would be simple. And whilst badly advised by those around him taking money off him and saying ‘yes sir’ to him, he’s now realising how difficult this is. After going so close in year one, then somehow failing to turn Huddersfield over last season, you are now back in mid table wilderness, right back to where he found you, only this time you’re saddled with financial burdens galore. 

All of the above plus the stuff Neil pointed out, all of it can be airbrushed by a run of victories that sees you back in amongst the top six. 

But that looks less likely with each passing game. 

I appreciate being a dingle rules my opinion out. And with Hirsty being a dingle also I’m just biased. 

WTF:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scram said:

It's common knowledge that all clubs base the wage offers to 1st year pro's according to the highest paid proven players at the club :laugh:

I can only imagine Neil is just drumming up more owlstalk traffic by such a nonsensical comparison

Thank God someone else can see it.

Neil's chasing the money harder than Georgie boy.

Good luck to him.  I expect whichever Premier League Club that signs him to loan him straight to the championship or League 1.

even if he didn’t sign a contract, he should have been loaned out at the last window - to see how he does.  If he fails, he comes back tail between his legs - if he’s a hit, the price goes up.  Missed opportunity and unforgivable, freezing out a young lad.

Edited by fife_owl
Missed a word out

3 minutes ago, W H I T E Y said:

George Hirst would fetch in millions should he even look remotely decent in the first team. That’s how it works. He’s a prolific scorer at every level he’s played at. He’s an England regular. The son of the great David Hirst. A Wednesday legend. He would make the club a fortune and I’m sure he, his family and advisors know that too. So you’d assume there’d be some middle ground. 

You spu.nkd the best part of £10m on Rhodes remember. With no chance of ever getting even half that back. Not to mention the huge wage he pulls. 

Van Aken wasn’t cheap. Venancio exists somewhere. I might be biased on Butters, but did you even need him? You’ve even agreed a deal there permanently. FF threw his teddy out and refused to play, yet he’s still here. He even chinned Winnall. Still here. You signed Boyd remember, he isn’t paid in buttons trust me.

The club has scored the greatest of own goals. And sadly, it’s just one of many own goals in the last year or two. 

I don’t believe DC is doing anything with ulterior motives. I think he’s genuinely Wednesday. But I think he assumed promotion would be simple. And whilst badly advised by those around him taking money off him and saying ‘yes sir’ to him, he’s now realising how difficult this is. After going so close in year one, then somehow failing to turn Huddersfield over last season, you are now back in mid table wilderness, right back to where he found you, only this time you’re saddled with financial burdens galore. 

All of the above plus the stuff Neil pointed out, all of it can be airbrushed by a run of victories that sees you back in amongst the top six. 

I appreciate being a dingle rules my opinion out. And with Hirsty being a dingle also I’m just biased. 

WTF:

Everyones entitled to one of them pal, you raise some very valid points. 

Your points on what we've spent on the first is irrelevant though as i'd expect money to spent on the first team. Jordan Rhodes is a proven product in this league and his record justifies the money spent. Granted, it hasn't worked out too well but you see my point. 

If we bend over backwards for George Hirst, we have totally restructure our youth wage policy. I dont want us to do that. 

2 minutes ago, W H I T E Y said:

WTF:

What if it is actually Penney that makes it big time in the future and not Hirst and he had left Wednesday's Academy in 2018 (for the sake of this conversation), because he had not been treated fairly or in line with George Hirst. Would we be happy with that ??? Nobody can say with certainty what will happen with such young players. History is littered with young players not making it all the way.

4 minutes ago, W H I T E Y said:

I'm sorry but that is utter rubbish - and typical of the polemic surrounding this debate now

Rhodes was bought to score goals to fire us to promotion - not to increase his value for a resale

If he'd have scored/assisted those goals and we'd been promoted then the outlay on him would have been realised many many times over

It hasn't worked out that way - yet at least because football doesn't work like a machine in predictable patterns

Just the same as football has many many examples of the "next best thing" finding his level way below that predicted by early showings at younger age groups

Basically everything is a gamble - but it's much easier to gamble on the proven as opposed to the unproven

2 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

What if it is actually Penney that makes it big time in the future and not Hirst and he had left Wednesday's Academy in 2018 (for the sake of this conversation), because he had not been treated fairly or in line with George Hirst. Would we be happy with that ??? 

NO

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, W H I T E Y said:

WTF:

Who says we didn't try and retain Hirst, the chairman says we did. I'll ask the same of you as all the other people questioning this including the site owner,post the information you have to the contrary and enlighten us all.

If it's the truth there can't be a problem.

49 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

What the move represents is a money grabbing kid getting ahead of himself because he played for 20 mins in the first team. It was oartly out fault for not limiting his expectations at the time mind. Nothing more. He doesn't deserve the big increase. He's done roger all at the moment.

Once again, if he was George Smith no one would give 2 shits.

How many times have you seen George Hirst play in real life ? Not snips on You Tube or here on owls talk.

Because i have see a young lad who was developing into a very ,very good football player.

But what i find most disappointing is we have a chairman who treated a young employee aufully, banning him from

playing football at any level is an act of Petulance by a Chairman who managed in less than three years to run Wednesday into

the ground. The mess the club is now in will take years to sort out. This season is begining to remind me of 1969 , relegation

is looming. Its just a pity that we will be losing one of our best young player. While wasting millions on Abdi and co.

So you critisise George Hirst all you Mr Birley Owl but George Hirst is not to blame for the mess the club is in now.

Surprised to see so many people backing the club and being anti-Hirst. Yes the lad has probably been a little bit greedy but as others have pointed out, we have spunked so much money up the wall on average players that a payrise for Hirst would literally be a drop in the ocean. We're refusing to significantly break the academy wage structure on the basis of "fairness and morale" when they haven't produced any sort of talent for either the first team or for sale in about a decade. This will probably end up with Hirst fading into obscurity over time and plying his trade at the likes of Port Vale, but for now it is extremely disappointing.