The last few weeks of George Hirst

Here's the maddest part of it all

When the club published the Q&A with Mr Chansiri about George Hirst..

If Mr Chansiri had come out and said 'great news, I've managed to secure George Hirst (a current international player for England and home grown talent) to remain at Hillsborough therefore securing our most exciting young talent for the next five years" literally every single critic currently hurling names at George and his dad and telling them to clear off would have immediately praised the move, backed it, and promoted it to other fans as a great idea and shows we are moving in the right direction

That's how easily minds are changed at SWFC amongst our fanbase. All it takes is a post on the official website.

Happened in the Dave Allen days too

It's only months/years later when you look back that these people see it for what it is and this is yet another Sheffield Wednesday tragedy story

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If Mr Chansiri had come out and said 'great news, I've managed to secure George Hirst (a current international player for England and home grown talent) to remain at Hillsborough therefore securing our most exciting young talent for the next five years" literally every single critic currently hurling names at George and his dad and telling them to clear off would have immediately praised the move, backed it, and promoted it to other fans as a great idea and shows we are moving in the right direction

That's how easily minds are changed at SWFC amongst our fanbase. All it takes is a post on the official website.

It's only months/years later when you look back that these people see it for what it is and this is yet another Sheffield Wednesday tragedy story

You're right Neil, it's an absolute tragedy that it's all come to this. I'm sure with tact and diplomacy, this could have been sorted, AND this alone would have given Mr. Chansiri plenty of kudos from the fan base, and would have given us a player who may become a star in his own right, in years to come......

It just all seems so black and white...... SWFC - "George, this is what we're offering you"   GH - "I was looking for a better deal" SWFC - "take it or leave it, oh and if you don't sign on the dotted line, we'll freeze you out of the squads you should be playing in" we are led to believe that this is the case, but such heavy handed "diplomacy"? Why?

What with freezing McGugan out as well, when there were times we could have used him.... I honestly don't get this type of heavy handed nonsense...... Question - Has Carlos had his input in to the GH situation? The reason I ask is, this has gone very much like the McGugan affair ie. frozen out....... I don't know hence why I'm asking.....

Edited by The Italian Stallion

6 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

If he has to go , an EPL club would be great as we'd get dosh in Jan or comp in July.

Maybe even a sell on clause.

But if I were Doyen, I'd park him abroad or Celtic for nowt.

Thus upping his wages and probably their agents' fees AND  introduction commission.

Yes them, the ones I alluded to in my post earlier in the thread.

I can only see these dudes as the modern scourge of SWFC (and football in general).

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The scene was set for George Hirst to work his way up through the teams at Sheffield Wednesday to lead the club to success as the blue and white runs through his veins.

Instead we have a first team tumbling down the Championship with no parachute, a head coach confused by the whole scenario, a 150th Anniversary Year that is looking like being one of our most tragic in years, an overpriced anniversary watch that was oversold so buyers had to have refunds, an extremely expensive anniversary picture that had the player names printed the wrong way round on it, no big pre-season friendly of any note, players getting signed to the club then going missing and fans wondering if/when we will ever see them play, reports of players falling out with the head coach, ticket prices going bonkers and the chairman having to apologise for pricing fans out but still keeping the prices as they are, traditional blue and white stripes being taken off home shirts (and then sold with some bizarre far east sizing in the shop), away shirts still don't exist in real life, home shirts being given an introductory price for longer than a DFS sale, a commemorative third shirt designed by a fan to celebrate the 150th Anniversary that still hasn't been released, a bizarre 'Christmas tree' wigwam teepee thing erected outside the 'megastore' that up until recently was still selling playoff final commemorative t-shirts, a 150th Anniversary Year that will be remembered as being represented by a collapsing cake, the newly released home shirts selling out in most sizes ahead of Christmas and even more bizarrely the megastore staff telling fans they have no idea if/when theyll be back on sale, empty executive boxes and sponsors who have walked away angrily, perimeter advertising boards that make the football impossible to see without being distracted, a brand new old club badge that nobody asked for, and much much much more.

And in the meantime fans argue with each other about George Hirst (some choosing to trust the people who gave us all the above over a fellow Sheffield Wednesday fan and an all time Sheffield Wednesday legend thanks to a well timed PR press release Q&A with the Chairman). 

A young lad who every single Sheffield Wednesday fan should be urging on to stay at the club and work his way up to the number 9 shirt in the first team

Why?

Because right now he's pretty much the only thing left about our Sheffield Wednesday that is recognisable, that is ours, and that represents hope to not just fans but to all young players at the academy, all of whom have their contracts ending in the summer.

Any fans yelling for George Hirst to clear off needs to stop for a second and just think about the wider implications of this move and what it really truly represents.

You have to put forward a balanced view on this topic and not just show the club in a bad light over it. We are all well aware that the club is getting plenty of things wrong, but also some things right.

Yes it would be a good thing if young George was seen to be a successfu product of our academy. But at any price, definitely not. If he was allowed to SMASH the wage structure of the academy, that would be just as off putting for other promising youngsters working there. Favouritism is the most destructive negative at any learning establishment, bar none.

Daviid Hirst is not the "Wednesdayite " you paint him. He looks back on the majority of his years with us with fondness, that is for sure, but he pretty much sees Wednesday as his previous employers and somewhere he  has had comfort, due to the fans reaction to him during his playing days and beyond. He does not have a strong attachment to the club, which is something that others on here have eluded to. You are wrong to continually portray Hirst as an ex players who strongly cares about the welfare of Sheffield Wednesday. He strongly.cares about the welfare of the Hirst's

Please try and present this situation in a more balanced way.

5 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

We are all well aware that the club is getting plenty of things wrong, but also some things right.

If he was allowed to SMASH the wage structure of the academy, that would be just as off putting for other promising youngsters working there. Favouritism is the most destructive negative at any learning establishment, bar none.

Are you aware of the wages Fletcher and Abdi are on?

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

You have to put forward a balanced view on this topic and not just show the club in a bad light over it. We are all well aware that the club is getting plenty of things wrong, but also some things right.

Yes it would be a good thing if young George was seen to be a successfu product of our academy. But at any price, definitely not. If he was allowed to SMASH the wage structure of the academy, that would be just as off putting for other promising youngsters working there. Favouritism is the most destructive negative at any learning establishment, bar none.

Daviid Hirst is not the "Wednesdayite " you paint him. He looks back on the majority of his years with us with fondness, that is for sure, but he pretty much sees Wednesday as his previous employers and somewhere he  has had comfort, due to the fans reaction to him during his playing days and beyond. He does not have a strong attachment to the club, which is something that others on here have eluded to. You are wrong to continually portray Hirst as an ex players who strongly cares about the welfare of Sheffield Wednesday. He strongly.cares about the welfare of the Hirst's

Please try and present this situation in a more balanced way.

You've obviously never spoke to the guy or been to hirsty s bar if you think that. Could do with both sides sitting down and trying to sort this in both the club and the players best interest, but sadly I don't think that will happen. For me it won't tarnish hirst seniors status, and for his lads sake I hope he has a good career and doesn't look back on this with regret. He could have become a legend here. Elsewhere he's just another talented kid with potential.

I'll be glad when he's gone.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather he stayed but he clearly doesn't want to and the constant threads about this youngster with hardly any first team experience are becoming quite tiresome.

Whether it be Hirst, Doyen or the club at fault over this it'll be better for all concerned when we can just draw a line under this whole sorry affair and move on.

Perhaps then we can start discussing some of the youngsters who do want to be here.

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

You've obviously never spoke to the guy or been to hirsty s bar if you think that. Could do with both sides sitting down and trying to sort this in both the club and the players best interest, but sadly I don't think that will happen. For me it won't tarnish hirst seniors status, and for his lads sake I hope he has a good career and doesn't look back on this with regret. He could have become a legend here. Elsewhere he's just another talented kid with potential.

I have been in his company a few times.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Are you aware of the wages Fletcher and Abdi are on?

What's that got to do with anything?

Are you saying that 2 players who have signed for the club to play in the first team and were proven performers at this level prior to signing are on big wages so we should give Hirst a first team contract too after 2 substitute appearances??

In that case we'd better stick a few more of the academy lads on big contracts too while we are at it!!!

It's common knowledge that all clubs base the wage offers to 1st year pro's according to the highest paid proven players at the club :laugh:

I can only imagine Neil is just drumming up more owlstalk traffic by such a nonsensical comparison

Edited by scram
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No, it really doesn't.

I would have said everything you say. It would be brilliant news if we were able to sign him up to a new contract. He is one of the hottest talents in English football at the moment. Everyone knows that. 

What people are annoyed about is him holding our club to ransom and wanting more money at his age than you can shake a stick at. And I will, quite rightly' back the club on this. If George signed a new deal tomorrow it will be a deal that I will be comfortable is the best for the club. Thats all that matters to me. Not some jumped up little tail that wants far too much, far too young. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
50 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

. He doesn't care about Wednesday only cash. Way the modern game works.

Are you talking about the Chairman or Hirst?