The last few weeks of George Hirst

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The scene was set for George Hirst to work his way up through the teams at Sheffield Wednesday to lead the club to success as the blue and white runs through his veins.

Instead we have a first team tumbling down the Championship with no parachute, a head coach confused by the whole scenario, a 150th Anniversary Year that is looking like being one of our most tragic in years, an overpriced anniversary watch that was oversold so buyers had to have refunds, an extremely expensive anniversary picture that had the player names printed the wrong way round on it, no big pre-season friendly of any note, players getting signed to the club then going missing and fans wondering if/when we will ever see them play, reports of players falling out with the head coach, ticket prices going bonkers and the chairman having to apologise for pricing fans out but still keeping the prices as they are, traditional blue and white stripes being taken off home shirts (and then sold with some bizarre far east sizing in the shop), away shirts still don't exist in real life, home shirts being given an introductory price for longer than a DFS sale, a commemorative third shirt designed by a fan to celebrate the 150th Anniversary that still hasn't been released, a bizarre 'Christmas tree' wigwam teepee thing erected outside the 'megastore' that up until recently was still selling playoff final commemorative t-shirts, a 150th Anniversary Year that will be remembered as being represented by a collapsing cake, the newly released home shirts selling out in most sizes ahead of Christmas and even more bizarrely the megastore staff telling fans they have no idea if/when theyll be back on sale, empty executive boxes and sponsors who have walked away angrily, perimeter advertising boards that make the football impossible to see without being distracted, a brand new old club badge that nobody asked for, and much much much more.

And in the meantime fans argue with each other about George Hirst (some choosing to trust the people who gave us all the above over a fellow Sheffield Wednesday fan and an all time Sheffield Wednesday legend thanks to a well timed PR press release Q&A with the Chairman). 

A young lad who every single Sheffield Wednesday fan should be urging on to stay at the club and work his way up to the number 9 shirt in the first team

Why?

Because right now he's pretty much the only thing left about our Sheffield Wednesday that is recognisable, that is ours, and that represents hope to not just fans but to all young players at the academy, all of whom have their contracts ending in the summer.

Any fans yelling for George Hirst to clear off needs to stop for a second and just think about the wider implications of this move and what it really truly represents.

We can go on and on and on BUT it's about money, nothing else.

Good luck to the lad, maybe he will reach his potential, maybe he won't.

One certainty he is going to make some dosh and you can't blame him for that.

Particularly as his dad only got 4k a week , poor soul. 

30 minutes ago, ramone said:

Everyones entitled to one of them pal, you raise some very valid points. 

Your points on what we've spent on the first is irrelevant though as i'd expect money to spent on the first team. Jordan Rhodes is a proven product in this league and his record justifies the money spent. Granted, it hasn't worked out too well but you see my point. 

If we bend over backwards for George Hirst, we have totally restructure our youth wage policy. I dont want us to do that. 

Nothing justifies spending £10m on a Championship footballer... 

I’ll tell you what it equals though - the ticket prices you are paying. 

1 minute ago, W H I T E Y said:

Nothing justifies spending £10m on a Championship footballer... 

I’ll tell you what it equals though - the ticket prices you are paying. 

Well there's plenty of other clubs doing it Whitey. Why dont you stain their boards by telling them as well...

Still a bit bitter about us taking the best you've had for years for 500k and letting him rot on our bench? 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The first teamers didnt' all get a pay-rise when Fletcher and Abdi joined the squad

Why should they ? Why would others know what they negotiated with the club.? Are you truthfully in the know of what players actually get paid at Hillsborough ? No false news please.

35 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

What if it is actually Penney that makes it big time in the future and not Hirst and he had left Wednesday's Academy in 2018 (for the sake of this conversation), because he had not been treated fairly or in line with George Hirst. Would we be happy with that ??? Nobody can say with certainty what will happen with such young players. History is littered with young players not making it all the way.

We will have to agree to disagree. I think folk have read the Q&A with DC and chosen their side. Which is fair enough. Club before any individual is usually my ethos too. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
39 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

So if that is your response, are you advocating that we should pay all our promising young Academy players wages in line with our first team squad ?

I think this is what Owlstalk was pointing to when he said people lap up official statements

He apparently asked for a wage equivalent to a first team member, not in line with our first team squad.

We will have to agree to disagree. I think folk have read the Q&A with DC and chosen their side. Which is fair enough. Club before any individual is usually my ethos too. 

Of course you want to agree to disagree....that is much easier than admitting your arguement is flawed.

42 minutes ago, scram said:

I'm sorry but that is utter rubbish - and typical of the polemic surrounding this debate now

Rhodes was bought to score goals to fire us to promotion - not to increase his value for a resale

If he'd have scored/assisted those goals and we'd been promoted then the outlay on him would have been realised many many times over

It hasn't worked out that way - yet at least because football doesn't work like a machine in predictable patterns

Just the same as football has many many examples of the "next best thing" finding his level way below that predicted by early showings at younger age groups

Basically everything is a gamble - but it's much easier to gamble on the proven as opposed to the unproven

Much more expensive too. 

And the easy route often proves otherwise. As it’s looking right now. 

I am a little bit old skool in that I prefer my club not to chuck money at issues. I also like the idea of watching our own youngsters wear the shirt, or at least get the opportunity. 

Being asked then by the club to fork out more money to cover up their expensive mistakes doesn’t sit right either. 

11 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

The club isn’t in a mess, have a word with yourself fella for crying out loud, there’s more flouncing on here than that time Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen and Elton John turned up at a party in identical clothes.

What planet are you on?

If this club isn't in a mess then I'd hate to see it when it is!

Have you seen the league table lately or seen any of the last 5 matches?

1 minute ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I think this is what Owlstalk was pointing to when he said people lap up official statements

He apparently asked for a wage equivalent to a first team member, not in line with our first team squad.

What do you think "in line with our first team squad" means? So this first team "member" was not part of the first team squad !! Baffling. In line ...means part of the norm , part of the average.And since when has anything posted on Owlstalk been taken as an " official statement" far from it imo.

1 minute ago, Whatahoot said:

What do you think "in line with our first team squad" means? So this first team "member" was not part of the first team squad !! Baffling. In line ...means part of the norm , part of the average.And since when has anything posted on Owlstalk been taken as an " official statement" far from it imo.

I'm genuinely (not having a pop here) trying to understand what your argument is

It's like you are just rushing to the post button before even reading what anyone else is put

It's impossible to understand what you're actually trying to say/get across as you've clouded it all in 'must defend the chairman no matter what' fever

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, ramone said:

Well there's plenty of other clubs doing it Whitey. Why dont you stain their boards by telling them as well...

Still a bit bitter about us taking the best you've had for years for 500k and letting him rot on our bench? 

Stain their boards? I’ve been on here coming up for 8 years. Probably longer than most. And other than the occasional bit of fun I’d like to think I offer a reasonable and respectful neutral opinion.

And if you can find any posts from me that showed bitterness about Sam leaving, even at the time, then fair enough. 

Easier to attack the poster than the post though. Especially when you’re hurting. I get that. Keep your chin up, pal.

Stain their boards? I’ve been on here coming up for 8 years. Probably longer than most. And other than the occasional bit of fun I’d like to think I offer a reasonable and respectful neutral opinion.

And if you can find any posts from me that showed bitterness about Sam leaving, even at the time, then fair enough. 

Easier to attack the poster than the post though. Especially when you’re hurting. I get that. Keep your chin up, pal.

Its football. Its not life or death... 

Your 'reasonable and respectful neutral opinions' are extremely loaded.