Daily Mail's Matt Barlow - SWFC's Hirst Snub

5 hours ago, Manwithastick said:

£10k a week on a 4 year deal is £2 million....I'd venture that makes him set up for life.....even half that probably would.

Really? A million quid that he has to pay 40% tax on setting him up for life at 18. 

Realistically, he needs to get as much as possible from his first pro contract because his stock is high and there are no guarantees from here.

I'm not saying we should be paying him x amount, only that if I was in his shoes, I would be doing all I could to secure a contract worth £3m+ because let's be honest, football is probably his best chance of doing alright financially and £5k a week for 2 or 3 years (for example) is not going to give him a comfortable life if he doesn't end up 'making it' for one reason or another.

On the other hand, he does have to decide if he wants to get the biggest contract right now at all costs or do the right thing to try and enjoy a long and successful career (though the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive).

It's supply and demand...and an element of gambling where the rewards are massive, 2k - 5k per week is FA. After all we pay some players now 35K per week who don't really want to be here and would move on at the drop of hat (assuming they could find a buyer who would pay more).

Age makes no difference, experience makes no difference. The gamble is potential worth.

As a club we are like the hotheads at the dogs on Friday night screaming their 'hot tip' home, then you find out they have had a fiver on it..

Guest Manwithastick
1 hour ago, londonowl said:

Really? A million quid that he has to pay 40% tax on setting him up for life at 18. 

Realistically, he needs to get as much as possible from his first pro contract because his stock is high and there are no guarantees from here.

I'm not saying we should be paying him x amount, only that if I was in his shoes, I would be doing all I could to secure a contract worth £3m+ because let's be honest, football is probably his best chance of doing alright financially and £5k a week for 2 or 3 years (for example) is not going to give him a comfortable life if he doesn't end up 'making it' for one reason or another.

On the other hand, he does have to decide if he wants to get the biggest contract right now at all costs or do the right thing to try and enjoy a long and successful career (though the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive).

Not sure how you've made that line look like it was mine...it wasn't

6 hours ago, Manwithastick said:

What about, say, £2k a week for 4 years (and no contract breaks)? Would that be a good deal?

I don't know if that would be a good deal or not as I'm not itk with regards to other players contracts.....It wouldn't set him up for life if he was to get a career ending injury in that 4 years though, hence why he may choose reject that offer if there were others on the table that would give him lifetime financial security

6 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

With a full year left on his current contract he is being prevented from training with his peers. Which other clubs treat their prospects like that?

Chelsea did exactly the same with Solanke I believe 

5 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

It appears our club's intention is to prevent our best ever academy prospect from playing football for a full season (a year of football).

Cause for celebration.

Or alternatively our club's intention is to develop and reward those players who have indicated a desire to stay with us longer term over someone who has indicated they will be off elsewhere at the end of the season

2 hours ago, Donny.Owl said:

£2k a week! 

Is that what he wants or what he's turning down?

Football is bonkers!

£2k a week for an inexperienced 18 year old. What does he need that kind of money for?

No wonder kids in England stagnate, they're loaded before they've achieved anything.

Ok it's all relative and £2k is probably much lower than what he could be "earning" IF or when he makes it. But FFS, I'd snap my employers hand off for half that, and I'm not a young lad that might end up good at what I do.

These kids want to hope they never fail, or get seriously injured and have to get a job away from the football bubble they live in. Then £2k a week will seem like the pipe dream it is to most of us.

Madness.

I suspect you aren't in a job which may end up any day in you sustaining an injury which stops you working ever again

1 hour ago, londonowl said:

If you couldn't set yourself up for life with a £million at 18 then you need to get advice

Edited by Ian

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

I suspect you aren't in a job which may end up any day in you sustaining an injury which stops you working ever again

I suspect anyone could have an injury that means they'll never work again.

Do you mean an injury that means he'll never be able to play again?

But could work.

I'd take £2k a week doing something I enjoy over less than that per month doing something I hate. 

That's the reality for most of us.

Footballers live in cloud Cuckoo land if they think a young improven lad deserves more.

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

If you couldn't set yourself up for life with a £million at 18 then you need to get advice

Tax will take around 35% of that leaving £650k.

I'm not saying it's not a nice start but it's hardly 'set up for life' is it? Some people are making out that it's more money than he could ever possibly need.

He could barely buy a house here let alone sit back and bask in his wealth.

4 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

I suspect anyone could have an injury that means they'll never work again.

Do you mean an injury that means he'll never be able to play again?

But could work.

I'd take £2k a week doing something I enjoy over less than that per month doing something I hate. 

That's the reality for most of us.

Footballers live in cloud Cuckoo land if they think a young improven lad deserves more.

Not really a fair point though is it. Would you rather earn £15k a week doing something you love or £2k a week doing the same thing?

It's all totally mental but GH is not to blame for that and he is well within his rights to try and do what is best for himself.