Daily Mail's Matt Barlow - SWFC's Hirst Snub

16 minutes ago, dfoster said:

Do we know one another? You seem to have a problem with me. Do let me know. Privately if appropriate.

I did try to be accurate. I thought he had played for the U21s. He's certainly beem called up.

How many times has Wildsmith played first team footy? And how many times on bench? And how do these figures (the ones that matter, after all) compare with Hirst?

I have no problem at all with you.

Wildsmith is 22 next month. He had not played for the first team when Hirst's age.

Hirst has represented his  country 24 times more than Wildsmith, Penney, Lonchar and Waldock combined total.

52 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

With a full year left on his current contract he is being prevented from training with his peers.

I don't know how true it is but someone on here said that he was under contract until June 2018, so he doesn't have a full year left.

Oh, it was you.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I have no problem at all with you.

Wildsmith is 22 next month. He had not played for the first team when Hirst's age.

Hirst has represented his  country 24 times more than Wildsmith, Penney, Lonchar and Waldock combined total.

Why do you keep referring to my job? I never refer to it. I don't make comments on here as a lawyer, i post as a fan like everyone else. Is it designed to unnerve me, to make me feel a bit intimidated?

Clubs select and thus pay players on the basis of their worth to the club. Not international caps - full or youth. How many international youth caps did Steve Haslam, Alex Higgins, Peter Holmes and Kevin Nicholson have between them? Hundreds. But never did much in the pro game.

I've heard others say those young players i mentioned may end up better than Hirst, even tho he's ahead of them right now. That's totally fair comment isnt it? No one can be sure about these things. After all, hirst is no Rooney or Owen, is he?

2 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

I don't know how true it is but someone on here said that he was under contract until June 2018, so he doesn't have a full year left.

Oh, it was you.

It appears our club's intention is to prevent our best ever academy prospect from playing football for a full season (a year of football).

Cause for celebration.

1 minute ago, dfoster said:

Why do you keep referring to my job? I never refer to it. I don't make comments on here as a lawyer, i post as a fan like everyone else. Is it designed to unnerve me, to make me feel a bit intimidated?

I was shocked that you were putting rumours down as fact.

I don't keep referring to it. It was one post.

I apologise if it alarmed you.

25 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

It appears our club's intention is to prevent our best ever academy prospect from playing football for a full season (a year of football).

Cause for celebration.

I thought it was our club's intention to keep hold of this academy prospect by offering the best terms ever to a player his age

8 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Anyone who doesn't think the club has played an absolute blinder on this couldn't possibly be a fan.

Can you point out where I've said such a thing? You love making things up to continue with your negative bile...as demonstrated at least 3 times in this thread alone.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Image result for hayden white

This is Hayden White, right?

The 'hot prospect' who turned down a pro deal with us in favour of bright lights and promises of wealth and fame at Bolton

He signed up, did the rounds - numerous loan spells in Leagues 1 & 2 - and was released when his contract expired

Now, aged 22, he plies his trade at League 2 Mansfield

Not so much a cautionary tale as a fact of life

3 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

This is Hayden White, right?

The 'hot prospect' who turned down a pro deal with us in favour of bright lights and promises of wealth and fame at Bolton

He signed up, did the rounds - numerous loan spells in Leagues 1 & 2 - and was released when his contract expired

Now, aged 22, he plies his trade at League 2 Mansfield

Not so much a cautionary tale as a fact of life

If only we’d paid him £100k + a year 

£2k a week! 

Is that what he wants or what he's turning down?

Football is bonkers!

£2k a week for an inexperienced 18 year old. What does he need that kind of money for?

No wonder kids in England stagnate, they're loaded before they've achieved anything.

Ok it's all relative and £2k is probably much lower than what he could be "earning" IF or when he makes it. But FFS, I'd snap my employers hand off for half that, and I'm not a young lad that might end up good at what I do.

These kids want to hope they never fail, or get seriously injured and have to get a job away from the football bubble they live in. Then £2k a week will seem like the pipe dream it is to most of us.

Madness.

20 minutes ago, BIG D said:

If only we’d paid him £100k + a year 

Goes to show, there are no guarantees

On the one hand you might say he failed to live up to his promise - on the other, perhaps through determination and hard work, he's managed to carve out a career as a professional footballer

The point being, as an 18yr old, we wanted to keep him but he was led to believe the grass was greener elsewhere

Perhaps he can take comfort from the fact he's fared better than most lads that age, but things might have turned out differently had he stayed put and tried to earn a place in Stuart Gray's squad

You just never know   :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1