Daily Mail's Matt Barlow - SWFC's Hirst Snub

11 hours ago, BIG D said:

Exactly. Just because his Dad is David Hirst (who is probably my favourite Wednesday player of all time) I'm not going to kiss his backside.

As has been said many times, if he wasn't called Hirst he would be getting dogs abuse from absolutely everyone

Load of rubbish, the lad has impreesed at very level. Highly regarded by all those that have coached him and has been rated as one of the best prospects in the country by folk who have absolutely nothing to do with David or are bothered by it. He also scored bucket loads last season.

The whole situation is an utter mess and Wednesday will be the ones who will lose out in the stalemate 

5 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Load of rubbish, the lad has impreesed at very level. Highly regarded by all those that have coached him and has been rated as one of the best prospects in the country by folk who have absolutely nothing to do with David or are bothered by it. He also scored bucket loads last season.

The whole situation is an utter mess and Wednesday will be the ones who will lose out in the stalemate 

If he was the Son of Kim Olsen and his Father was involved he would be getting pelters. 

• Thanks 1

I can understand not being able to give youngsters a run back in the old days when you were limited to one and then 2 subs on the bench, now we can pick six? That's just over half a team. 

What I can't understand is why we can't pick a gk, df, mf, St from the first team and give two promising youngsters the other two slots???, seems crazy to me. As it's a catch 22 situation, won't play them at this level until they've proven themselves to be capable, yet how do you prove yourself if you don't get a chance to, it's just like in the real world for everyone else today kids can't get jobs becouse they don't have experience, but without a job how do you get experience??. For me we should have been giving the likes of penny who looks a real prospect too may I add and George a seat on the bench. 

29 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I can understand not being able to give youngsters a run back in the old days when you were limited to one and then 2 subs on the bench, now we can pick six? That's just over half a team. 

What I can't understand is why we can't pick a gk, df, mf, St from the first team and give two promising youngsters the other two slots???, seems crazy to me. As it's a catch 22 situation, won't play them at this level until they've proven themselves to be capable, yet how do you prove yourself if you don't get a chance to, it's just like in the real world for everyone else today kids can't get jobs becouse they don't have experience, but without a job how do you get experience??. For me we should have been giving the likes of penny who looks a real prospect too may I add and George a seat on the bench. 

Remember how they brought not one of them on pre-season tour. Not one of them was given squad number at the start of the season. Not to mention that they can't get place of the bench, not one of them got run out in the League Cup, etc...

All that after they won their league last season.

Great way to motivate lads, isn't it ?

32 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

They prove themselves when they go out on loan albeit with lower tier clubs but still professional footballers

1 hour ago, malek said:

Remember how they brought not one of them on pre-season tour. Not one of them was given squad number at the start of the season. Not to mention that they can't get place of the bench, not one of them got run out in the League Cup, etc...

All that after they won their league last season.

Great way to motivate lads, isn't it ?

Are you sure none of them played in Portugal I'm confident some did 

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

They prove themselves when they go out on loan albeit with lower tier clubs but still professional footballers

Bang on!!

This thought process that having already got Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Forestieri, Winnall and Joao at the club at the start of the season, and then we should be finding a space on the bench for Hirst is crazy. What has he done at first team level to warrant being any further up the pecking order than any of those??

The best way for him to develope would have been loaning him out to a lower league and letting him learn his trade there. Ross Barkley, Tammy Abraham, Deli Ali, they’ve all done it as they developed as players and there’s no reason why Hirst couldn’t have done this though rather than getting put in the first team when we don’t even know if he’s good enough. Plenty of young players show great promise at an early age that is never realised.

Now that he’s refusing to sign a contract however, why would the club loan him out when he’s probably going to leave anyway? What possible benefit would developing him further have for the club? I remember a similar situation with Ben Marshall and Stoke wouldn’t let him come back to us on loan in January until he signed a new deal there, as it was he ended up going to Leicester and we signed Antonio.

It’s very easy to slate the club over this but from what I can see I don’t think they’ve done much wrong.

Things have a way of coming out in the wash, I tend to think when Hirst leaves for Leicester or Everton and most likely will go on to have a decent career or maybe better that he will come out and give his view on what happened. I just hope it does not affect future young talent thinking maybe Sheffield Wednesday is not the place for me i will sign for....... instead.

Our record on producing youth players compared to our city neighbours has been very embarrassing in the last 20+ years maybe the Hirst fiasco has maybe highlighted why we are not producing and keeping these players as it would appear we don't value them.

We won the youth league last year players like Stobbs, Hirst, Clare, Clarke, Thorniley, Ogrady etc all only offered one year deal - my personal view is this is very sort sighted on our part and they should have been sign for 2-4 year deal as at the very least we can sell them on for more.

If Hirst is refusing to sign the new contract (whatever his reasons), I don't understand why he is excluded from the development squad though. He is excluded from training as well as I understand it.

He's got a whole season of his current deal to run, so why take action against him a year before? Action which will almost certainly see him leave anyway.

Even if he's also said he won't go out on loan, it still makes no sense to not include him in the development squad. If he continues to play well and score goals then his value will only rise.

The argument that the club should invest no more money in developing him if he is to leave anyway is ridiculous. Continuing to develop him in whatever way we can would only be good for the club.

If his contract demands continue to be something the club refuses to yield on then so be it; he leaves for pastures new in the summer and our compensation will be set by a tribunal.

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We won the youth league last year players like Stobbs, Hirst, Clare, Clarke, Thorniley, Ogrady etc all only offered one year deal - my personal view is this is very sort sighted on our part and they should have been sign for 2-4 year deal as at the very least we can sell them on for more.

We won the third tier youth league 

That's a long way from being one of the best teams in the championship

Even the best u23 teams are struggling against weakened league 1 and 2 teams

• Like 1

Guest Copthorneowl
55 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Bang on!!

This thought process that having already got Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Forestieri, Winnall and Joao at the club at the start of the season, and then we should be finding a space on the bench for Hirst is crazy. What has he done at first team level to warrant being any further up the pecking order than any of those??

The best way for him to develope would have been loaning him out to a lower league and letting him learn his trade there. Ross Barkley, Tammy Abraham, Deli Ali, they’ve all done it as they developed as players and there’s no reason why Hirst couldn’t have done this though rather than getting put in the first team when we don’t even know if he’s good enough. Plenty of young players show great promise at an early age that is never realised.

Now that he’s refusing to sign a contract however, why would the club loan him out when he’s probably going to leave anyway? What possible benefit would developing him further have for the club? I remember a similar situation with Ben Marshall and Stoke wouldn’t let him come back to us on loan in January until he signed a new deal there, as it was he ended up going to Leicester and we signed Antonio.

It’s very easy to slate the club over this but from what I can see I don’t think they’ve done much wrong.

Spot on.

39 minutes ago, scram said:

They can only play opposition that lines up against them.

Shame that Wednesday declined to play in that cup. Would be good experience for U-23's

1 hour ago, scram said:

I agree but If Liverpool had not given Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard, or Manchester United giving Ryan Giggs a chance in the first team at 18 then may never had made it.

You can only beat what is put in front of you and the lad has shown he can score goals, one 41 minute appearance against Cambridge in the cup I hope will not be the only time he gets a chance but i fear it will

50 minutes ago, malek said:

They can only play opposition that lines up against them.

Shame that Wednesday declined to play in that cup. Would be good experience for U-23's

I didn't think we are eligable?