Is SWFC's recruitment that bad?

Following on from 'Ask The Chairman' and all the 'blame' laid at Carlos' feet for our transfer record I wonder if it really is that bad.

From what I can work out, we have paid a fee for 6 players in the last 2 years.

Rhodes, Van Aken, Reach, Abdi, Fox, Winnall.

Most wanted Rhodes. He may come good, he may not but you can always argue it was a good signing on paper. How many strikers with his record are available at this level for £10m?

Jury out on Van Aken but the club are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Buy a proven centre back with little sell-on fee or a youngster to develop and they get criticised either way.

Reach is starting to show his worth. £5m is not much for a player these days and certainly no guarantee of a great one.

Abdi was a great signing that really hasn't worked out.

Fox is adequate full back cover for the few hundred grand that we paid for him.

Winnall is currently on a swap with a player Derby paid 10 times as much for.

If you take Rhodes out of the equation, we really are not the 'Big spending Owls' that some of the media like to portray us as. I think the only think missing from our recruitment is the ability to uncover a couple of cheap gems but that's what every other club in the land is looking for so difficult to hold that against anyone.

Sure we have paid some wages to some players that have not worked out but you can pay 5 Players £20k a week for 2 years for the same monay as buying one for £4 million who may get injured the day after he arrives so there is some logic to it.

I think we are all disappointed that not much progress has been made but arguably we haven't spent the money to make much progress.

Understandable post and I do agree, but you still do have to consider the strange loan signings and frees that just had no influence on the team.

Also the Pourtugeezas that Carlos brought in and David Jones aren't on that list.  

EDIT: Perhaps Matias and Joao are not included in the timeframe you're talking about, but Venancio and David Jones certainly are. In a way the jury is still out on DJ, I think he is only required in very certain matches. The stats do seem to suggest win more matches with him in the side though. And Venancio is cover for Lees so I understand why he hasn't played, but the reported £3 million we will pay for him seems a lot for some untried in English football and not yet risked by Carlos.

Edited by joelswfc

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

The vast majority of the signings, when made, were met with full agreement on here. 

Ironically, the one signing at the time that was criticised heavily was Bannan,

True story that, wish i could be @rsed to find the thread. 

Just to show the duplicitous nature of owls talkers. 

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

9 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

You didnt mention 

Sougou

Melo

Lachman 

Mcgugan

Price

Kean 

etc, etc 

lol

And you didn't mention Forestieri 

In fairness though londonowl very very selectively put his list of players into a 2 year timeframe.

12 minutes ago, Blatter said:

And you didn't mention Forestieri 

In fairness though londonowl very very selectively put his list of players into a 2 year timeframe.

What I actually did was create the thread in response to the number of people taking about 'progress since the Play-Off Final' in the Ask The Chaitman thread. That was the timeframe. It wasn't a deliberate selection to make a point. 

17 minutes ago, canadianowl said:

3mil for Forestieri was an absolute steal. One of the best bits of business we've done over the past 3 years.

Transfer fee wise, not far the best bit of business in the last 23 years let alone 3 years.

It seems we are better at picking up quality free's than we are spending money though!!!

36 minutes ago, londonowl said:

Following on from 'Ask The Chairman' and all the 'blame' laid at Carlos' feet for our transfer record I wonder if it really is that bad.

From what I can work out, we have paid a fee for 6 players in the last 2 years.

Rhodes, Van Aken, Reach, Abdi, Fox, Winnall.

Most wanted Rhodes. He may come good, he may not but you can always argue it was a good signing on paper. How many strikers with his record are available at this level for £10m?

Jury out on Van Aken but the club are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Buy a proven centre back with little sell-on fee or a youngster to develop and they get criticised either way.

Reach is starting to show his worth. £5m is not much for a player these days and certainly no guarantee of a great one.

Abdi was a great signing that really hasn't worked out.

Fox is adequate full back cover for the few hundred grand that we paid for him.

Winnall is currently on a swap with a player Derby paid 10 times as much for.

If you take Rhodes out of the equation, we really are not the 'Big spending Owls' that some of the media like to portray us as. I think the only think missing from our recruitment is the ability to uncover a couple of cheap gems but that's what every other club in the land is looking for so difficult to hold that against anyone.

Sure we have paid some wages to some players that have not worked out but you can pay 5 Players £20k a week for 2 years for the same monay as buying one for £4 million who may get injured the day after he arrives so there is some logic to it.

I think we are all disappointed that not much progress has been made but arguably we haven't spent the money to make much progress.

That's largely fair.  You are certainly right to push back on the assumption that it's all been hopeles,s because obviously it hasn't.  If you extend back to the start of the 15-16 season the picture is brighter still, because Bannan, FF, Hooper all come into view.  All good signings.

You do also of course have to take the frees and to a lesser extent the loans.  These are more of a mixed bag with come conspicuous failure (Urby...).  But again, here, Fletcher has been more of a success.  Boyd we don't yet know though the early signs weren't promising. 

I don't really agree about Abdi.  He hasn't been a great signing given the outcomes.  It's unclear how far that's about unerpinning fitness issues.  But it certainly looked a good signing,

On the other hand, Reach is an idiot magnet.  Very glad we got him.  Fox looks very good value.

in the big scheme of things we had a strong side in 15-16 not quite good enough to challenge for the top two.  Finding the quality to close the gap without upsetting the balance is a more delicate operation than building anew.  The bottom half of the premier league is littered with clubs facing a not dissimilar challenge.

Mixed picture.