Is SWFC's recruitment that bad?

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

Calls our transfer record in the last 2 years outstanding and accuses me of not living in the real world.

Someone needs to climb down off his high unicorn.

Sheffield Wednesday Midfielders in 2014-2015:

• Paul Corry
  • Filipe Melo
  • Jose Semedo
  • Kieran Lee
  • Jacques Maqhoma
  • Lewis McGugan
  • Liam Palmer

Sheffield Wednesday Midfielders 2017:

• Barry Bannan
  • Kieran Lee
  • George Boyd
  • Ross Wallace
  • Jacob Butterfield
  • Adam Reach
  • David Jones
  • Almen Abdi

Sheffield Wednesday Forwards 2014-2015

• Sergiu Bus
  • William Keane
  • Caolan Lavery
  • Atdhe Nuhiu
  • Chris Maquire
  • Stevie May

Sheffield Wednesday Forwards 2017

• Steven Fletcher
  • Fernando Forestieri
  • Gary Hooper
  • Lucas Joao
  • Atdhe Nuhiu
  • Jordan Rhodes
  • Sam Winnall

Yeah, you're right.  We haven't improved the squad at all...  

Clearly the transfer policy has been woeful.

:manager:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Sheffield Wednesday Midfielders in 2014-2015:

• Paul Corry
  • Filipe Melo
  • Jose Semedo
  • Kieran Lee
  • Jacques Maqhoma
  • Lewis McGugan
  • Liam Palmer

Sheffield Wednesday Midfielders 2017:

• Barry Bannan
  • Kieran Lee
  • George Boyd
  • Ross Wallace
  • Jacob Butterfield
  • Adam Reach
  • David Jones
  • Almen Abdi

Sheffield Wednesday Forwards 2014-2015

• Sergiu Bus
  • William Keane
  • Caolan Lavery
  • Atdhe Nuhiu
  • Chris Maquire
  • Stevie May

Sheffield Wednesday Forwards 2017

• Steven Fletcher
  • Fernando Forestieri
  • Gary Hooper
  • Lucas Joao
  • Atdhe Nuhiu
  • Jordan Rhodes
  • Sam Winnall

Yeah, you're right.  We haven't improved the squad at all...  

Clearly the transfer policy has been woeful.

:manager:

The fact you are going back three years even though were talking about the last 2.Outstanding.

:duntmatter:

Edited by Emilianenko
m

10 hours ago, room0035 said:

Play of final team was made up of 

Westwood (Gray), Hunt (Roeder), Lees (Gray), Loovens (Gray), Pudil (Roeder), Wallace (Roeder), Hutchinson (Gray), Lee (Gray), Bannan (Roeder), Forestieri (Roeder), Hooper (Roeder)

since then we have signed

Fletcher (free but reported £30k+ a week), Kean (flop), Abdi (£4m + big wages never plays = flop), Pudil (on permanent for reported £2m for a 30+ in last year of contract over paid and has since been mostly poor), Jones (another £2m fee mfor a bit part player), Sasso (on a free - barely ever played), Reach (£5m for a play that was worth £2-3m on just starting to come good but not a £5m player yet), Urby (expensive flop), Morgan Fox (£600,000 and a player for the future maybe), Sam Winnall (£500,000 + £18k a week weages to not play), Rhodes on loan initially costing (£2m and £40k a week then permanent for another £6m - so far been a flop but might be changing), Buckley (never fit = flop), Mcmanan (other expensive flop), Boyd (free but reported 325k a week only play 3 games and been injured), Van Aken (reporterly R4m and gets dropped for 50% fit Loovens)

Add to this we have offered 3 year deals to Nuihu who never plays and Looven who is that far over the hill he is nearly down the whole of the other side.

Then the future of the club that won the youth league last year Stobbs - 1 yr deal, Penney - 1 yr deal, clare - 1 year deal, hirst no deal.

When we have a fully fit squad it reads as above with Reach coming in for Pudil. So how anyone can say since Roeder left and the play off final we have improved the team much be smoking some pretty strong skunk 

But it is not just the recruitment it is the squad management we are carrying 10 players too many we have players who should be moved on or out on loan but we have no one stepping up to sort it.

The manager say he has nothing to do with it, the chairman tell us the manager picks the player and he signs then, but no one seem to manage the agents, squad, contracts, injuries etc - this is why the club have issues with FFP - Poor recruitment, poor squad management and no one has a clue who does what.

Far too much credence given to Roeder with regards to signings by you.

Absolute guess work by you in regards to fees and wages.

7 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

The fact you are going back three years even though were talking about the last 2.

:duntmatter:

This may be hard for you to wrap your head around completely, but if you add two years to 2015 you find yourself in 2017.

2017 may sound familiar to you, likely because it is the current year.

The players I've mentioned have come into the squad after May of 2015, at the end of the 2014/2015 season.

You're grasping at straws: 

This is the real world, not career mode on FIFA:  We play in the Championship, and are six years removed from playing in League One.  Look at the improvement in the squad - the transfer policy, and in particular the number of talent that we've brought in on free transfers, has been very good.

I'll take the 2017 squad over the squad we had in May of 2015 ten times out of ten.

:nuhiu:

Edited by Indoor Owl

1 minute ago, Indoor Owl said:

This may be hard for you to wrap your head around completely, but if you add two years to 2015 you find yourself in 2017.

2017 may sound familiar, likely because it is the current year.

The players I've mentioned have come into the squad after May of 2015, at the end of the 2014/2015 season.

You're grasping at straws: 

This is the real world, not career mode on FIFA:  We play in the Championship, and are six years removed from playing in League One.  Look at the improvement in the squad - the transfer policy, and in particular the number of talent that we've brought in on free transfers, has been very good.

2014-15 were now in 2017-2018. Your Maths is not outstanding.

17 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

And?

Four years prior, Sunderland paid ~£13 mil for him according to Transfermarkt.

Players poached from the Premier League have higher wage demands than some nobody from the lower leagues.

Nobodies from lower leagues, so the blunts then, owning the Championship on a fifth of our wage budget.

One things for sure, football agents will be making a lot of money with the revolving door policy.

Most probably a payment from the selling club, a payment from the buying club and percentage of the wage the player earns.

Good work if you can get it.

We need contracts that stipulate that the agent only gets paid if the player makes appearances, would stop a lot of these pointless signings.

7 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

... which is one thing that drives me nuts about football.  Transfer fees should be a matter of league record, and forcibly disclosed.

not sure about that .....if one business deals with another and they want to keep there financial arrangement secret then that's there prerogative ......there's absolutely no reason why the customers/ fans should be told as far as I can see .

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Some good some bad.

It was ever thus.

Personally I thought £2m on Jemson and Woods was terrible business at the time for the money.

That's life.

Even Ferguson made c*ck ups at Old Trafford.

I think some of the flotsam like sougou,urby where just cheap gambles that didn't come off but I don't think we've signed to many poor players ,my gripe is that we have signed to many like for like players which is fine if like chansiri said the policy is to have 2 players for every position but not so much if you want to improve the quality of the team . have jones, boyd,abdi,winnal,fox, van aken ,venancio,keen made us a better side than the one that played at Wembley ?....I don't think so ....fletcher .reach and hopefully Rhodes have been upgrades imo the rest not so much .

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I think some of the flotsam like sougou,urby where just cheap gambles that didn't come off but I don't think we've signed to many poor players ,my gripe is that we have signed to many like for like players which is fine if like chansiri said the policy is to have 2 players for every position but not so much if you want to improve the quality of the team . have jones, boyd,abdi,winnal,fox, van aken ,venancio,keen made us a better side than the one that played at Wembley ?....I don't think so ....fletcher .reach and hopefully Rhodes have been upgrades imo the rest not so much .

Gambles isn't it.

Iesepcially if many voices are throwing int their opinions on players (Though the recent statment seemed to suggest Carlos has the main say).

I still think (when fit) Boyd could play a part. He's been a really good player. I know some will argue that he's getting on. But I think him coming in and providing competition at the back end of the season would be a real bonus.

Fox, has looked good this season after being hit and miss when I saw him last. At 24 if he can knuckle down and get some games under his belt and form some sort of partnership with Reach I think that could prove a good signing for the longer/mid term.

Winnall, I'll still never be convinced was anything less than a fall back if Rhodes fell through. But if he's away scoring goals and we can make money on him. Good business. Even if he's not doing it for us.

Jones...I get the experience he brings. Not my cup of tea....BUT you can see why a manager would want him. He sticks to his job to the letter.

Not sure we're a better side since Wembley.....but possibly a better squad in depth.  Just.

19 hours ago, room0035 said:

Play of final team was made up of 

Westwood (Gray), Hunt (Roeder), Lees (Gray), Loovens (Gray), Pudil (Roeder), Wallace (Roeder), Hutchinson (Gray), Lee (Gray), Bannan (Roeder), Forestieri (Roeder), Hooper (Roeder)

since then we have signed

Fletcher (free but reported £30k+ a week), Kean (flop), Abdi (£4m + big wages never plays = flop), Pudil (on permanent for reported £2m for a 30+ in last year of contract over paid and has since been mostly poor), Jones (another £2m fee mfor a bit part player), Sasso (on a free - barely ever played), Reach (£5m for a play that was worth £2-3m on just starting to come good but not a £5m player yet), Urby (expensive flop), Morgan Fox (£600,000 and a player for the future maybe), Sam Winnall (£500,000 + £18k a week weages to not play), Rhodes on loan initially costing (£2m and £40k a week then permanent for another £6m - so far been a flop but might be changing), Buckley (never fit = flop), Mcmanan (other expensive flop), Boyd (free but reported 325k a week only play 3 games and been injured), Van Aken (reporterly R4m and gets dropped for 50% fit Loovens)

Add to this we have offered 3 year deals to Nuihu who never plays and Looven who is that far over the hill he is nearly down the whole of the other side.

Then the future of the club that won the youth league last year Stobbs - 1 yr deal, Penney - 1 yr deal, clare - 1 year deal, hirst no deal.

When we have a fully fit squad it reads as above with Reach coming in for Pudil. So how anyone can say since Roeder left and the play off final we have improved the team much be smoking some pretty strong skunk 

But it is not just the recruitment it is the squad management we are carrying 10 players too many we have players who should be moved on or out on loan but we have no one stepping up to sort it.

The manager say he has nothing to do with it, the chairman tell us the manager picks the player and he signs then, but no one seem to manage the agents, squad, contracts, injuries etc - this is why the club have issues with FFP - Poor recruitment, poor squad management and no one has a clue who does what.

Nailed it.

Shocking business from Carlos.

18 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Gambles isn't it.

Iesepcially if many voices are throwing int their opinions on players (Though the recent statment seemed to suggest Carlos has the main say).

I still think (when fit) Boyd could play a part. He's been a really good player. I know some will argue that he's getting on. But I think him coming in and providing competition at the back end of the season would be a real bonus.

Fox, has looked good this season after being hit and miss when I saw him last. At 24 if he can knuckle down and get some games under his belt and form some sort of partnership with Reach I think that could prove a good signing for the longer/mid term.

Winnall, I'll still never be convinced was anything less than a fall back if Rhodes fell through. But if he's away scoring goals and we can make money on him. Good business. Even if he's not doing it for us.

Jones...I get the experience he brings. Not my cup of tea....BUT you can see why a manager would want him. He sticks to his job to the letter.

Not sure we're a better side since Wembley.....but possibly a better squad in depth.  Just.

I see you go with the second chansiri version of how our recruitment policy works ......

Just now, torryowl said:

I see you go with the second chansiri version of how our recruitment policy works ......

I prefer to think that that version is the correct one. True or not!

Rather than us being manouvered ,and pliably squashed around to suit the agenda of a mysterious gloved hand organisation...

.Ok.

Go on then

One last time.

59f6344a0902a_2017-10-2620_11_33.jpg.e9c66278b0ebd37834eb14b270db02a7.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I prefer to think that that version is the correct one. True or not!

Rather than us being manouvered ,and pliably squashed around to suit the agenda of a mysterious gloved hand organisation...

.Ok.

Go on then

One last time.

59f6344a0902a_2017-10-2620_11_33.jpg.e9c66278b0ebd37834eb14b270db02a7.jpg

obviously none of us know which version is true but it does seem strange to me that he gave one at the steering meeting that wasn't well received and 2 weeks later he gives another that a lot wanted to hear .....i'm not a fan of owners/ chairmen telling supporters too much on how the club works as it puts pressure on individuals .....he must know that the club are getting stick from some on our recruitment and after the  1st version the finger was pointing at him and now with the lastest version all the flak as switched back to carlos .theres no need for it, just keep quiet and get on with what you are doing and back yourself that your doing it right without having to justify it to the public is the way i'd be going 

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

obviously none of us know which version is true but it does seem strange to me that he gave one at the steering meeting that wasn't well received and 2 weeks later he gives another that a lot wanted to hear .....i'm not a fan of owners/ chairmen telling supporters too much on how the club works as it puts pressure on individuals .....he must know that the club are getting stick from some on our recruitment and after the  1st version the finger was pointing at him and now with the lastest version all the flak as switched back to carlos .theres no need for it, just keep quiet and get on with what you are doing and back yourself that your doing it right without having to justify it to the public is the way i'd be going 

It's a  tough one really. One the one hand it's his baby in many ways. He's come in and spaffed a fortune.  He wants to do things his way. And frankly, who wouldn't? I know I would.

But on the other hand it's almost as though because of the bad press many foreign owners and investors have picked up...he doesn't want to make the same mistakes and them and alienate. So is trying (I'll give him credit) to communicate more with the fans.

Which is ok.  But... Fans will very rarely like what any Chairman is saying. Whether they be a good one or a bad one. There's no way of keeping 20 odd thousand people all happy.

Especially when. We've had a massive ticket hike, had two years of kits which bare little resemblance to what Sheffield Wednesday is known for up and down the land.

Entrance fees and the club imagery that the fans identify with are two of the biggest things a Chairman can touch. Those things will alienate just as much as not giving out communication. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's a  tough one really. One the one hand it's his baby in many ways. He's come in and spaffed a fortune.  He wants to do things his way. And frankly, who wouldn't? I know I would.

But on the other hand it's almost as though because of the bad press many foreign owners and investors have picked up...he doesn't want to make the same mistakes and them and alienate. So is trying (I'll give him credit) to communicate more with the fans.

Which is ok.  But... Fans will very rarely like what any Chairman is saying. Whether they be a good one or a bad one. There's no way of keeping 20 odd thousand people all happy.

Especially when. We've had a massive ticket hike, had two years of kits which bare little resemblance to what Sheffield Wednesday is known for up and down the land.

Entrance fees and the club imagery that the fans identify with are two of the biggest things a Chairman can touch. Those things will alienate just as much as not giving out communication. 

i'm of the opinion of he should  be just trying to run the  club in a successful way and win as many games as possible while doing so  and give up trying to justify or explain  how he goes about it .   , do that often enough and everything else is forgotten by the majority but like you say  it's his club he can do what he likes .....