Carlos Out

2 hours ago, swfc1983 said:

And if we win at Villa......??

It wouldn't change things. He's taken us as far as he can, it was painfully obvious after the first game at Preston when a team that had been together for 2 years played like they'd just met for the first time.

He's run out of ideas and it's time for someone new to come in and get a different tune out of the same set of players. 

Thank you for putting us back on the map Carlos but it's time to go. Every game you stay takes us further away from the Premier League.

Guest Copthorneowl
31 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

If Winnall isn't in our long term plans (and I'll take some convincing he was ever anything more than a back up in case we didn't get the Rhodes deal over the line) then him being on loan and scoring goals will surely only see his value rise.

If Carlos doesn't want to keep him I think there's every chance we'd make a profit on him.

Spot on imo.

Personally watching SW very closely on a number of occasions he failed to look as good a player by some way as we'd already got.  His close control was poor, he couldn't play the quick one twos and wall passes that Hooper and Fletch and Nando could the ball bounced off him in tight situations etc etc. But he was full of enthusiasm.

Like many players they seem to assume some sort of higher ability when out of sight and I believe this is the case with Winall who was warming our bench or not even on it which is what's happened at Derby he's hardly feature but now having come off the bench a couple of weeks ago and scored and started and scored two last weekend he's a top striker...he's not.

Youre right Snooty we'll make a profit in him which is a notch up with what will happen with the vast majority of our squad of 'getting older' players. Wouldn't swap SW for any of our strikers but Nuhiu.

All opinions but there we are. 

Edited by Copthorneowl

Just now, OneDavidHirst said:

It wouldn't change things. He's taken us as far as he can, it was painfully obvious after the first game at Preston when a team that had been together for 2 years played like they'd just met for the first time.

He's run out of ideas and it's time for someone new to come in and get a different tune out of the same set of players. 

Thank you for putting us back on the map Carlos but it's time to go. Every game you stay takes us further away from the Premier League.

Ironically I think he'd actually make a very good Prem manager. Funny how the Championship seems to demand that little something different, whether you're a leading player or coach or whatever.

It's entirely possible to be 'too good' for this league in a way that actually hinders you. (Not saying I necessarily believe that's the case with Carlos, although again I do suspect he'd do well with a Prem club - but either way, we've seen it in various teams, players and managers who come down from the Prem and massively underperform at Champ level.)

Very frustrating!

41 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

If Winnall isn't in our long term plans (and I'll take some convincing he was ever anything more than a back up in case we didn't get the Rhodes deal over the line) then him being on loan and scoring goals will surely only see his value rise.

If Carlos doesn't want to keep him I think there's every chance we'd make a profit on him.

I would rather have a proven goal scorer in his peak in our team than out on loan at a rival just so we can 'make a profit'

Winnall is better than Rhodes & imo should be up top with Hooper

49 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Did we only pay 500,000 for him?

4 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

I would rather have a proven goal scorer in his peak in our team than out on loan at a rival just so we can 'make a profit'

Winnall is better than Rhodes & imo should be up top with Hooper

Better at what though?

That's the key.

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

Nothing happened at Millwall to change my mind.

Another painfully slow boring performance. 

But winning 4 from 4 would see us around 7th.

Agreed though Carlos has to go or employ a good attacking coach; with a free rein.

This. 

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I thought it was £500k with additions which (could) make it up to £800k (which I suspect is unlikely to be triggered)

Crackling bit of business if we sell him for 2m or something, he maybe worth alot more i dont know, and help FFP. 

8 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

maybe we should let him in our team?

I'd have him over fletch or rhodes any day of the week

Have him in the team based on what?

Is his hold up play and aerial ability as good as Fletchers?

Is his goals record and box movment as good as Rhodes?

6 minutes ago, Spencerowl said:

If this were the BBC you as presenter have just be fired lol

I have a neutral stance on this issue

Although I think those who are still bleating for Carlos to go need to give him till the New Year (at which point we'll be flying high)

I back Carlos 100%. He's the right guy and the right kind of person we should have as our manager

Although I remain neutral on the issue of course for reasons of balance on the site

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

Agree with pretty much all of the above. And re: the part in bold, you'd think we'd be used to it by now - our last two decades have seen far more 'bad spells' than good, if we're being honest.

Again, it's the sudden rush of expectation and entitlement - which, frankly, came out of nowhere after a pretty extended period of being bang average - that seems to be leaving people, unbelievably, dissatisfied with consecutive top six finishes.

I get the entertainment agrument, I genuinely do. But would people really, truly be happier with the backroom staff if we were drawing every other game 3-3 and finishing up roughly where we are now in May?

I seriously think not.

The expectation has come from the club. When the chairman and the manager say we are going up, do you expect the fans to say "nah, I'm not buying it". People are paying premier league prices as well. 

If you go go to an expensive restaurant you expect it to be better than a chip shop.

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The tide of opinion is firmly turning in Carlos' favour

Three points off playoffs

BACK CARLOS and shut up moaning about him ffs

A lot of folk seem to have forgotten that villa played last night. We are 6 points off the play offs now. Saturday is 'must win' if we are to stay in touch. Could be 9 off them by the next game...