Liam Palmer

1 hour ago, S61 Owl said:

I’d be interested to see what would happen playing both Palmer and Hunt on the right - may be a temporary solution to the Wallace problem (Wallace had a lot better game tonight in fairness)

Being honest, this is not something that has ever crossed my mind, but I would be curious to see how this worked out. 

If only he could beat the first man when crossing! 

How many times did he get to the byline and fail to get it across!? Proper frustrating.

Thought Palmer was left exposed a few times, but did well considering. Just pretty steady tonight. 

I still prefer Jack Hunt if truth be told. 

17 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I thought he did well.  My biggest concern with him is recovery runs.  I think sometimes when we are going forward he is a little flat footed at getting back.  That time when the guy got in on Westwood was a typical example.  

This exactly he has 2 or 3 times every game when he just can't be arsed to get back. I refuse to believe a professional athlete in his twenties wouldn't be capable of doing so.

1 minute ago, Birstall Owl said:

Me too as every time I see Wallace on the team sheet my heart sinks, never does enough for me

I like Wallace. I think he offers a lot more than he gets credit for at times.

However, something clearly hasn't clicked regularly enough this season, so maybe we should start considering something a little different. 

6 minutes ago, Pompeyowl said:

I like Wallace. I think he offers a lot more than he gets credit for at times.

However, something clearly hasn't clicked regularly enough this season, so maybe we should start considering something a little different. 

I've been quite harsh on him recently but I think this season maybe one too far for him, thought he was good against Leeds but bar that. 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

thought he he did ok as did fox ........

Takes an exceptional player to play full back the way Carlos sets us up.

Hunt is better attacking, Palmer defending, similar with Reach and Fox at left back.

Guess very few players have all the necessary attributes.

Fox though showed he could put in a decent cross when he did get the opportunities early on.

Thought I saw Loovens taking him to task midway through 1st half for not covering him.

After that he seemed reluctant to push forward as much.

7 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Always liked Palmer. Crossing tonight was poor though. Other than that he was very good. 

I only remember two bad crosses out of about ten i.e. 8 good. 

Palmer would have been my MoM had it not been for Bannan being on another level. 

2 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Had a decent game but judging him over the last 5 years i would say that league 1 is his standard.

Players develop over time. He could do with a run in the side before we judge him. 

Edited by shandypants

9 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

Stood out tonight. 

Other than letting the winger get in once in the second half, thought he was excellent. If he can improve his final pass/cross he’d be a complete player.  

I have to say I thought he was average at best, but like a few others needs a run of 4 or 5 games 

I really don't think there is much in it between Palmer & Hunt 

Hunt everytime for me. Palmer "strolls" back when we have lost the ball after he has been on a forward run, no urgency whatsoever to get back.

Always tough coming in from the cold , especially into a team thats struggling for confidence.

I thought he did well over all.  Bit leggy towards the end.

I think we have always been overly critical of the lad.  Despite claims that fans always love one of their own.