Gary Megson

Just now, Simaniac Owl said:

Megson did a lot of player scouting and recruiting. Like the time he raced off to London to get Semedo before he left for Portugal. I suppose you will now say that Semedo wasn’t influential in us being promoted. 

Not at all

Credit where it's due with everything Megson did

In reality though he was fired for good reason/s

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Simaniac Owl said:

Megson did a lot of player scouting and recruiting. Like the time he raced off to London to get Semedo before he left for Portugal. I suppose you will now say that Semedo wasn’t influential in us being promoted. 

No he can't have been...

It was all down to Dave Jones apparently.

:duntmatter:

garymegson

• Haha 2

If I remember correctly we signed Antonio on loan, who helped set up the winner in the Derby. Then Megson was sacked soon after? So it may have been interesting to see how successful we’d have been under Megson with Antonio in his team till the end of the season. 

I wouldnt object to him returning as manager, but there’s not much chance of that happening 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Smashed Leeds United to BITS though

what about sheffield united?

pretty sure we wouldn't have had our ar$es handed to us on a plate if megson had been at the helm

In fact....enlighten me....what happened last we played the pigs with megson in charge.....??

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The main difference being that Megson himself couldn't get his own team promoted and we needed Dave Jones to come in and take the shackles off the players and tell them to just go out and attack

They did.

We got promoted.

Under Megson we wouldn't have been

We will never know how an alternative history might have panned out.

There were some key factors other than the managerial change.

signing Antonio (at long last we had a genuine winger in the squad to replace Marshall) who was just too good for that League.

beating the pigs and closing the gap to two points.

The phsycological effect of a derby defeat and the pigs propensity to choke under pressure. 

their main goal scorer being sent down. They barely scored a goal after this.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jarce said:

And under Mighty Meggo we got hammered by Stevenage and Exeter.

Why is this brought up time after time. We got hammered at home against a newly promoted side called the pigs a few weeks ago. Whats worse.If thats all you have in your armoury then god help us.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

Why is this brought up time after time. We got hammered at home against a newly promoted side called the pigs a few weeks ago. Whats worse.If thats all you have in your armoury then god help us.

I have never been more embarrassed as a Wednesdayite before or since after that loss to Stevenage.That's why I mention it.Not a case of "if that's all you have in your armoury " at all.

That defeat just colours my memory of Megson ,for all his blue and blood.As for the utd defeat, sure it hurt, but I've got over it.What's your point, anyway?

3 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I have never been more embarrassed as a Wednesdayite before or since after that loss to Stevenage.That's why I mention it.Not a case of "if that's all you have in your armoury " at all.

That defeat just colours my memory of Megson ,for all his blue and blood.As for the utd defeat, sure it hurt, but I've got over it.What's your point, anyway?

ive seen jack Charlton's team get knocked out the cup by a non league side , I've seen Cambridge  ram 4 past Atkinson's owls .any manager can have a bad result it's how they bounce back from it thats important and the two I mentioned and megson didn't do too bad a recovery job , 

22 hours ago, Ronseal said:

Nowt wrong with direct football

Wilkinson's early sides where a joy to watch they just steamrollered sides with pace , power,fitness  and ability imo the purist form of direct football and yet got slaughtered by the press ......

Even though I can't stand Gary Megson and think he completely underachieved in his time here, I wish he could be our manager again if only to show his complete ineptitude and shut up his bizarre fan base who think he was amazing, simply because he talked the talk and used to play for us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

But I don't think he would be a good fit now for Wednesday and with the players we have.

The thing is..... football aside (sounds daft but bear with me) 

Whilst Meggo might not be the 'cultured' sometimes it's not about that always. It's about managing men. 

And they all respond to different things.

It's not just about tactics, and skill and technique. 

It'd dealing with human beings. 

Making men feel like lions.

That's the thing about football ...

....its not really about football all