Gary Megson

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Take off the blue and white tinted specs and look at the facts

(I posted them above)

The football under Megson towards the end was as bad if not worse than the last 6 weeks under Carlos.

With respect neil, I can see far more clearly with these on than you can in your carlos ones. We had some bad results but remained in the top half of the table and around the play offs all the time. No-one, and I mean no-one, was clamouring for him to go unlike what we have currently. Beating the pigs in the final game closed the famous gap and the rest is history. I said it then and still say it now, it was megsons team that got promoted and had nothing whatsoever to do with jones. Me or you could have done it . Time has moved on now and megson clearly has something to give to football as he is an assistant manager in the premiership where as Dave Jones sucessfully managed to get poor bloody Hartlepoll into the conference.

But dont let the facts get in the way of a good story eh....?

And for the record I'm not all misty eyed about the 'cult of megson' or whatever we want to call it, I think there is a quality manager in megson who has succesfully got teams like West Brom in the premiership, clearly cleary can identify up and coming talent and as a bonus holds this club we all love with a passion very close to his heart. For me its a cold hard business decision that makes perfect sense.

3 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Despite having completely misconstrued my post you have, unwittingly, highlighted what a fantastic manager Megson was.  Two if not three of the players signed by Megson, Antonio, Marshall, Baath six / seven years ago, would actually improve our current first eleven! And this is despite the number of signings and millions we have spent over the last couple of seasons.

what an eye for a player Megson has what a visionary Megson is.

Unfortunately for your side of the argument Megson wasn't the scout so....

lol

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

it was megsons team that got promoted and had nothing whatsoever to do with jones.

The main difference being that Megson himself couldn't get his own team promoted and we needed Dave Jones to come in and take the shackles off the players and tell them to just go out and attack

They did.

We got promoted.

Under Megson we wouldn't have been

Owlstalk Shop

12 hours ago, killaowl said:

Why so much negativity about our Gary ffs he sorted a load of crap out that Irvine had bought then pushed on with his players that got us promotion, it was his scouting and I'll repeat His scouting that brough In Antonio, without him we would not have got promotion Jones or not. Have a look back how many goals we scored from set pieces and it's no surprise that west brom have scored more goals from set pieces in the premiership than any other team ffs wake up, he is our saviour, the  question is would he come.

I think most of us love Gary and appreciate what he did for the club. The negativity I guess is due to the amount of trolling and it's boring. The more he's pushed the greater the anti Meg.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The main difference being that Megson himself couldn't get his own team promoted and we needed Dave Jones to come in and take the shackles off the players and tell them to just go out and attack

They did.

We got promoted.

No the main difference is megson did not get the chance

the rest is conjecture......

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We got promoted.

We beat United to move 2 points behind them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17093412

This was February and plenty of games left.

On what sensible basis can you definitely say we wouldn't have used the derby win momentum to overhaul United or still gone up in the play offs.

You are guessing but dressing it up as a 'fact'.

4 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

It's a sign of how dire things are that people would prefer the style of Gary Megson to our current one.

He'd be less of a step backwards and more of a f**king time machine journey backwards, straight to the dark ages.

Yeah..theres no place for your mrgsons pulis mcarthy warnocks and big sams in todays modern football is there.....

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

But again you’re simply highlighting Megson’s prowess in the art of management. Under his management our recruitment policy was first class. He would ensure that the right type of player was brought into the club. That’s how you manage.

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You assume that the managers at SWFC determine which players are brought to the football club

No but again one of the qualities I admired about Megson was his honest no nonsense approach. When Milan signed a player, as in the case of Kasnic, Megson just came out and said so.

2 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

No but again one of the qualities I admired about Megson was his honest no nonsense approach. 

That's fine. Nothing wrong with that. But if you're working in an environment where you need diplomacy and tact that can also be your downfall.

All it takes is to upset one or two people and the whole deck of cards comes tumbling down. Whether that's on the playing staff or anyone else in the club.

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Lythamowl said:

With respect neil, I can see far more clearly with these on than you can in your carlos ones. We had some bad results but remained in the top half of the table and around the play offs all the time. No-one, and I mean no-one, was clamouring for him to go unlike what we have currently. Beating the pigs in the final game closed the famous gap and the rest is history. I said it then and still say it now, it was megsons team that got promoted and had nothing whatsoever to do with jones. Me or you could have done it . Time has moved on now and megson clearly has something to give to football as he is an assistant manager in the premiership where as Dave Jones sucessfully managed to get poor bloody Hartlepoll into the conference.

But dont let the facts get in the way of a good story eh....?

And for the record I'm not all misty eyed about the 'cult of megson' or whatever we want to call it, I think there is a quality manager in megson who has succesfully got teams like West Brom in the premiership, clearly cleary can identify up and coming talent and as a bonus holds this club we all love with a passion very close to his heart. For me its a cold hard business decision that makes perfect sense.

Great post. What a lot on here don’t realise is that Megson is currently working in the premier league because of his ability. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Megson did a lot of player scouting and recruiting. Like the time he raced off to London to get Semedo before he left for Portugal. I suppose you will now say that Semedo wasn’t influential in us being promoted.