Gary Megson

33 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Let's see...Sturrock inherited someone else's team (who were in dismal form) and managed to get them promoted. 

He did so whilst working with arguably the worst group of owners that the club has ever had. 

Megson was backed by Milan Mandaric (despite what some like to claim on here) and managed to get us to third. As things stand we were likely to finish in the play offs under him and then it is anyone's guess whether or not we'd have gone up. 

So, once again, you're talking sh*t. 

If was you I'd get someone to start paying you for doing so. You'd earn a fortune. 

No need for all this personal abuse whatsoever. 

Srurrock did did a great job getting us promoted via the play offs after a fifth place finish.

megson did a great job turning the club around from the dross under Irvine and into 3rd place. It’s impossible to say what would have happened had Megson remained as manager. We may have got automatic promotion we may have been promoted via the play offs we may have missed out on promotion via the play offs. 

3 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

No need for all this personal abuse whatsoever. 

Srurrock did did a great job getting us promoted via the play offs after a fifth place finish.

megson did a great job turning the club around from the dross under Irvine and into 3rd place. It’s impossible to say what would have happened had Megson remained as manager. We may have got automatic promotion we may have been promoted via the play offs we may have missed out on promotion via the play offs. 

No shît.

lol

20 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Megson took Irvine's team from 12th to 15th...

Then DJ took Megson's team up after a 13 match unbeaten run ( and much much much better football).

So you could say he did worse with both sets of players.

lol

You’ve missed off two thirds of a season there.

8 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

You’ve missed off two thirds of a season there.

Nope.

Just stating what happened.

GM's 1st season, was awful. Worst football I've ever witnessed.

He was able to bring players in, to a team in 12th, that we were all expecting to "pîss the league"... and took them to 15th.

Then with one of the biggest budgets in L1 he was stuttering, he needed players like Ben10 or Antonio (1 winger at a time as he never played 2!) Who were for too good for L1. Without them he struggled to compete. 

He blamed his Aldi players, said they weren't capable of playing passing football... he was proven wrong.

Edited by Donny.Owl

Just now, Donny.Owl said:

Nope.

Just starting what happened.

GM's 1st season, was awful. Worst football I've ever witnessed.

He was able to bring players in, to a team in 12th, that we were all expecting to "pîss the league"... and took them to 15th.

Then with one of the biggest budgets in L1 he was stuttering, he needed players like Ben10 or Antonio (1 winger at a time as he never played 2!) Who were for too good for L1. Without them he struggled to complete. 

He blamed his Aldi players, said they weren't capable of playing passing football... he was proven wrong.

When you say Megson’s first season he was brought in over half way through the season after the January transfer window just to try and keep us up. Things had got that bad under Irvine.

whilst he had a decent budget he bloody needed it considering how bad we were. Also Irvine had blown a lot of Milan’s budget previously. Megson brought a number of quality players for that league with very little or no outlay:

Bywater

Jones

Lliera

Baath

Marshall

Lines

Semedo

COG

im not sure he was given the opportunity to play two wingers at a time. Milan failed to land Marshall in Jan so we were left with no wingers until he finally brought Antonio in. There’s no way that through choice Megson would turn his nose up at Marshall and Antonio and play JOC out there instead.

JoC on the right winglol

Those were the days.

He had JJ didn't he?

And Jones.

Treacy?

Anyway, Irvine didn't waste all MM's money. Another Cult myth. He brought in Madine (our best striker in the promotion season), Reda (another key player in 11/12) Morrison (who won the league in 11/12 with Charlton) and Reynolds (the only one that didn't "make it" at that level, but never really got a chance to, he'd have been better than Bennett that's for sure!).

The players you list may well have been "for very little outlay" by some standards, it's all relative, but it was a big outlay in L1 at the time.

Oh and they all proved to be good footballers too (so well done GM) once he'd gone and they were allowed to actually play some football, for a manager that didn't call them Lidl players, and claim they couldn't play.

Edited by Donny.Owl

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Let's see...Sturrock inherited someone else's team (who were in dismal form) and managed to get them promoted. 

He did so whilst working with arguably the worst group of owners that the club has ever had. 

Megson was backed by Milan Mandaric (despite what some like to claim on here) and managed to get us to third. As things stand we were likely to finish in the play offs under him and then it is anyone's guess whether or not we'd have gone up. 

So, once again, you're talking sh*t. 

If was you I'd get someone to start paying you for doing so. You'd earn a fortune. 

Think your 2 negs and my plus would state otherwise. Good effort though.

6 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Neither.

JJ was mostly a liability.

So you dont prefer a current first team squad member to somebody who left years ago and is now semi retired :baby:..tells you all yer need to know about the state of our current set up..

7 minutes ago, Ronseal said:

So you dont prefer a current first team squad member to somebody who left years ago and is now semi retired :baby:..tells you all yer need to know about the state of our current set up..

Prefer many of the current squad over JJ.

Nuhiu plays a different role, so not really comparable.

I'd say João is a better option from the bench than JJ was.

Ok he'd sometimes produce a moment of magic.

Mostly he'd do the wrong thing and infuriate me.

He was fast and could dribble... but his decision making was shocking.

Edited by Donny.Owl

4 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Been a lovely trip down memory lane.

Off to bed, to dream about JoC down the wing, clapping his teammates like no one else could.

And im off to bed...to av a nightmare about last seasons play offs..gudnite :duntmatter:

10 hours ago, Blue and white said:

You obviously didn't watch us get the shambolic game against Huddersfield or the shameful events the other week against the pigs.

How do you know I didnt see us against Hudds  and Utd?

I haven't missed a league match for 25 years.

Apologies for having an opinion that differs from yours and obviously quite a few others on here.

We're all allowed our views even if mine's wrong lol

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jarce said:

How do you know I didnt see us against Hudds  and Utd?

I haven't missed a league match for 25 years.

Apologies for having an opinion that differs from yours and obviously quite a few others on here.

We're all allowed our views even if mine's wrong lol

That's a HOME league match.

• Haha 1