Lambert, Karanka and Moyes

15 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Couldn't agree with you more and I am sure if we did a poll for the next manager he would come out on top.

But the big question is would he want the job???

Apparantly he has said today that he'd consider a championship job if it's the right opportunity.  I think our club size, stadium, fan base and playing staff would make us a decent championship option.

though it depends if the way the club is run upstairs would put him off or not 

9 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Apparantly he has said today that he'd consider a championship job if it's the right opportunity.  I think our club size, stadium, fan base and playing staff would make us a decent championship option.

though it depends if the way the club is run upstairs would put him off or not 

I think your last sentence will define who our next manager will be. No promotion experienced manager worth his salt would touch us. DC is an interfering amateur and only obscure foreign coaches would jump at the job. It's the best one CC has ever had as he gets away with failing at key moments time and time again 

Now is not time to gamble.

And these 3 names suggest Dc's learnt his lesson.

Of the trio, Lambert for me due to bottle, Championship experience , Scottish connection to half our squad and his German experience.

Hopefully, we can get benefit from his Bundesliga contacts, nous and technical and training expertise, like Hudders last season.

This week, according to Radio 5 live, he's adding to all this working and observing at Bayern Munich.

Shows a wiilingness to develop and learn new things. Get him in.

PS No one could sort Villa in context of that loopy Chairman (you recall our left back  deal and what Collymore said about owner  at Villa Park).     

This squad needs a big personality to get us firing and acting like a team confident of turning over anyone.

step forward big Sam I really believe he would have the presence in that changing room to demand big performances 

this is a squad full of talent anybody taking over this would be in dream land if they got it performing. It needs little investment. Just coaching and motivating right. Put the right mentality into it and watch it fly.

if it's a young proven manager I think it's got to be one that commands respect like viera, bergkamp, giggs. A former world class player. Or a huge presence and they don't get much bigger than big Sam

makw the change DC and hopefully we can salvage this season. We have a few months before we can wheel and deal again.

the time as come it just makes sense now 

Some things definitely don't qualify you to be a successful manager

1. Being a big name player. The game is littered with big names who were disastrous as managers. For every Kenny Dalglish there's a dozen Bobby Charltons, Alan Balls, Bryan Robsons and Chris Waddles. 

2. Having played for Wednesday. So Terry Curran and Benito Carbone needn't apply. Being ex-Owls players doesn't make Nigel Pearson, Lee Bullen or Paul Heckingbottom any more likely to succeed. 

What we need is someone with enough intelligence to work out what's needed in any given situation and the ability to teach that with the help of his coaching team. They might not have the highest IQ but they need a certain football intelligence. A thinker, a problem solver.

I actually think Carlos is one such manager who has been on the wrong end of some bad luck recently. There aren't many you could name who might be available and could do better. All managers would come with a question mark because they've all been sacked by their previous clubs apart from a few up and coming managers who have never had experience of a club of this size - so they would be a gamble too.

Would it be worth taking a gamble on a Paul Hurst or Paul Heckingbottom not because of their owls connections but because they have an unblemished CV so far (bear in mind this was also true of Danny Wilson)?

The only name I know of that I have confidence would do at least as well as, if not better than, Carlos is Big Sam who has a fantastic track record with numerous clubs. One of the game's big thinkers. If he might come to the 'right' Championship club, who else in our league could he be thinking of?

I don't think we should panic because we've lost 3 of the last 4. Look at the last 46 games (a season's worth) and you'll see that the same manager has made us one of the best sides in the league. That doesn't mean we can't find someone better. But its easy to find someone worse. It's always a gamble. 

We shouldn't be so fickle. We hated Carlos after the United match, loved him again after the Leeds match and now we hate him again. We might feel different again after the next match.

1 hour ago, BC1867 said:

Karanka would be like changing like for like. No attacking intent in the man. 

Carlos problem isn't no attacking intent. 

If you saw any of the United, Leeds or Bolton games, you'd know that. 

The issue is, and has been for far too long, is our inability to strike a balance between defensive solidity & having a genuine attacking threat. 

Under Carlos stewardship for the past 18 months, we just cannot strike that balance. It's either reasonably solid (although that's becoming less and less solid as it goes on) and no threat, or threatening going forward but hopelessly open at the back. 

The issue in the 2nd half on Saturday, was that we were far too open, too gung ho, to the extent Bolton ripped straight through us, time after time after time. 

26 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Carlos problem isn't no attacking intent. 

If you saw any of the United, Leeds or Bolton games, you'd know that. 

The issue is, and has been for far too long, is our inability to strike a balance between defensive solidity & having a genuine attacking threat. 

Under Carlos stewardship for the past 18 months, we just cannot strike that balance. It's either reasonably solid (although that's becoming less and less solid as it goes on) and no threat, or threatening going forward but hopelessly open at the back. 

The issue in the 2nd half on Saturday, was that we were far too open, too gung ho, to the extent Bolton ripped straight through us, time after time after time. 

lol You just used more words to say a slightly more confusing thing. I don't want a manager who is incompetent in attack.  That covers both Karanka who is horribly boring and Carlos who doesn't know how to use his players. 

But if trite one upmanship makes you feel better then good for you.

Edited by BC1867

17 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

lol You just used more words to say a slightly more confusing thing. I don't want a manager who is incompetent in attack.  That covers both Karanka who is horribly boring and Carlos who doesn't know how to use his players. 

But if trite one upmanship makes you feel better then good for you.

Karanka, in his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the Championship, were a very competent attacking unit.

Just because a manager prioritises defensive organisation, doesn't mean they are incompetent in attack. Two of the most successful coaches in world football currently in the Premiership, Conte & Mourinho, both base their styles of play on solid, organised defensive structures. Would you say either of those are incompetent in attack?

There is a middle ground. And although Karanka wouldn't be my first choice, I'm not folly or naive enough, not to know that one thing this Wednesday side really needs at this present time...is organisation. And Karanka would bring that in abundance. 

Expectations aren't high at Preston which gives managers plenty of time, when managers like Grayson and Neil go to bigger clubs where they're expected to be challenging for top 6 they struggle, I think Barnsley manager would be same if he got a big job.

15 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Karanka, in his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the Championship, were a very competent attacking unit.

Just because a manager prioritises defensive organisation, doesn't mean they are incompetent in attack. Two of the most successful coaches in world football currently in the Premiership, Conte & Mourinho, both base their styles of play on solid, organised defensive structures. Would you say either of those are incompetent in attack?

There is a middle ground. And although Karanka wouldn't be my first choice, I'm not folly or naive enough, not to know that one thing this Wednesday side really needs at this present time...is organisation. And Karanka would bring that in abundance. 

We may not have the squad for karanka. Iirc he threw his toys out the pram because the chairman asked him to play Stewart downing, whom Boro had spent a lot of money to get. He is adverse to wide play and wingers. He is not the answer. We don't need more turgid defensive football at Hillsborough.  We need to be moving the ball at pace and getting the ball in the box to the strikers we have. Players are always going to like possesion football with no aim - it's easier. The problem at our club; there don't seem to be any consequences for failure on the pitch. Need an English coach imho.