Lambert, Karanka and Moyes

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Was he not in charge January 2017?

I think he was in charge whilst Helder Costa was there.

But regardless, of whether he was, his record at Wolves was better than ANY manager at that level or above, since Ronnie Allen in the 1960's!

His record at Wolves was certainly not "shocking", no matter whichever way you decide to look at it. 

Karanka's the only one whos achieved promotion and hasn't failed. I'd be happy with him, he was treated unfairly getting sacked in the prem. The footy won't be too pretty though but he's at least make us solid.

The others can flip right off. Both failures at everywhere but one club.

9 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Karanka's the only one whos achieved promotion and hasn't failed. I'd be happy with him, he was treated unfairly getting sacked in the prem. The footy won't be too pretty though but he's at least make us solid.

Yes, he's the only one I'd consider However, I'm not convinced he would do any better with this bunch of players

Lets not forget, most of the people on here wanted Carlos out because, in their minds, he ruined Jordan Rhodes. Rhodes was also foisted on Karanka, much to his annoyance

1 minute ago, Teeside owl said:

believe you me we do not want karanka I live in the boro area, and he makes carvalhal look like a genius, he,s hated up here for the boring drivel we are witness to at the moment out of the frying pan in to the fire springs to mind

That reputation was intensified when they were promoted, and he wasn't allowed to bring in the players he'd wanted to, was it not?

During Boro's promotion campaign, and the season before that when they lost in the Playoff Final, some of the football they played was tremendous.

They came to Hillsborough twice in those seasons, and played us off the park on both occasions. 

What Karanka brings is discipline and organisation. Something this side is arid of at present. 

When he got to the Premier League, and had little confidence in his attacking players, he became very negative, and thus disillusion set in amongst fans and I think Karanka himself. 

they played us off the park ok, just shows how bad we were and are no change there then, attacking football karanka lot of my mates up here said the football was boring so a no from me, I always admired the keegan approach lets attack the opposition from the opening minute till the last any managers nowadays have that philosophy? might win 4 3 but I,de stand up and clap, loose a few along the way but would still stand and clap 

23 minutes ago, Teeside owl said:

they played us off the park ok, just shows how bad we were and are no change there then, attacking football karanka lot of my mates up here said the football was boring so a no from me, I always admired the keegan approach lets attack the opposition from the opening minute till the last any managers nowadays have that philosophy? might win 4 3 but I,de stand up and clap, loose a few along the way but would still stand and clap 

Football has moved on from Keegan-esque management. .

Tell me a successful manager who disregards the defensive part of the game.

Klopp is the most "like" Keegan in that sense, but his record at Liverpool is pretty mediocre on the face of it...and his disregard for defensive stability, is the reason they are a million miles away from winning the title. 

Mourinho, Conte, Simone, Zidane, Allegri...the leading coaches in World Football are all stubbornly meticulous about defensive organisation. Guardiola struggled last season at City, because he couldn't get that balance between attack and defence right...he like the control the defensive phase with possession, but this season, they've got it spot on so far. 

There simply isn't many successful managers these days so just "go for it." Carlos just "goes for it" as often as any manager (usually when we're 1-0 down after starting sluggishly)...but it simply doesn't work. Teams play on the break, and you look more likely to concede as you do to score yourselves. It's not a sustainable way to manage football teams. 

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Coleman has got a rubber face, and has stumbled across a generation of decent Welsh players. The failure of Wales to qualify for the World Cup is huge, and I'm surpised Coleman hasn't been sacked. 

Fair enough, rubber face aside I would back him to motivate our players better than Carlos.  But then again i would back a packet of wotsits to do a better job right now 

Edited by Southie_Owl

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Football has moved on from Keegan-esque management. .

Tell me a successful manager who disregards the defensive part of the game.

Klopp is the most "like" Keegan in that sense, but his record at Liverpool is pretty mediocre on the face of it...and his disregard for defensive stability, is the reason they are a million miles away from winning the title. 

Mourinho, Conte, Simone, Zidane, Allegri...the leading coaches in World Football are all stubbornly meticulous about defensive organisation. Guardiola struggled last season at City, because he couldn't get that balance between attack and defence right...he like the control the defensive phase with possession, but this season, they've got it spot on so far. 

There simply isn't many successful managers these days so just "go for it." Carlos just "goes for it" as often as any manager (usually when we're 1-0 down after starting sluggishly)...but it simply doesn't work. Teams play on the break, and you look more likely to concede as you do to score yourselves. It's not a sustainable way to manage football teams. 

Exactly even teams like city who score a bucket loads of goals still concede silly goals. It's very difficult to be both a defensive minded coach and an attacking one you are either one or the other. 

And if you have mastered both then you probably one of the best coaches in the world.

16 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Lambert is the only one of the three I'd consider. 

Who's your ideal choice? 

Karanka I don't think would be that bad. He did have them organised and there is more to it then meets the eye about his time at Boro I think.

10 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Wouldn't have any of them.

Karanka is more defensive minded than Carlos

Lambert has failed at every club he's been since Norwich.

Moyes if a fraud. He did alright with Everton but has been useless at every other club he's been at.

We need some one who is going to bring the excitement back on the pitch!

Did a great job at Preston, did well at Everton. On a hiding to nothing at Man U taking over a very poor team from Fergie. Totally stitched up at Sunderland.

I would take Moyes in a heartbeat but I may be the only one!

Guest wilyfox
38 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Who's your ideal choice? 

Karanka I don't think would be that bad. He did have them organised and there is more to it then meets the eye about his time at Boro I think.

I doubt we could attract Allardyce. Wouldn't want Moyes. Wouldn't want Pardew. Lambert possibly. Karanka..I'd sit on the fence.

Can't think of an ideal. Closest to it would probably be Jokanovic - but we'd never get him. He's shown a way of winning well, but hasn't quite cracked the nut there yet. I fancy him to though.. He'll get them up if they back him. 

5 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Lambert got Norwich up.

Villa was a complete cluster roger not of his doing, and Blackburn/wolves had some real tetchy owners.