The thing that pleased me most

I live in Leeds and this is my derby. I am over the moon tonight - we needed the win but to put in a performance like that is just what the players, manager and the fans needed especially before the International break. We have got very good players and I hope they take confidence from this today. We are still unbalanced as we don't have any real pace but what we do have is some sensational technical footballers like Bannan, Lee and Hooper who are brilliant to watch when on top form.

I hope Carlos releases some of those shackles and trust his players more to go for it instead of being defensive. If we lose 3-2 in a game, so be it, but let's have a change of philosophy. Onwards and Upwards!

2 hours ago, Owl Be Back said:

Unfortunately, one game doesn't mean he has. This has all happened before. We've all said things like this in the past.

Bang on - people behaving as if we have won the league. 

We were dreadful for the first 20 minutes.

CC has to show he can get this sort of performance regularly, not once in every 4/5 games.

2 hours ago, The Regulator said:

Loved the fact that we didn’t seek to defend a 1, 2 or 3 goal lead. Quite refreshing.

Exactly. How many times would be have sat back trying to defend the lead, inviting pressure and conceding? Very refreshing. 

51 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Bang on - people behaving as if we have won the league. 

We were dreadful for the first 20 minutes.

CC has to show he can get this sort of performance regularly, not once in every 4/5 games.

There will always be a bit of OTT reaction when we get a result against one of the scummier sides in the division. Especially those yobs from up the M1.  

And after the week we've had I think there was a huge  sense of relief. 

I'm not sure anyone is getting too carried away though. Here have been enough concerns that won't vanish overnight. 

But as I said it the OP  almost as important as the result was the intent...and perhaps more so than that that the intent was clearly being encouraged from the bench.

Now if we can just do it against "the bobbar sides"....

To me it was key that we played Lee in central midfield, and not out wide.

Also Bannan run his socks off to get available for the ball bit further up the field, and not dropping to our 20 yards to get it off the toes of our central defenders all the time.

I was concerned after the first 15 - 20 minutes during which Leeds had a couple of very good chances, but we got away with it (again) and thereafter we dominated the game.  Could have certainly had six goals what with Lee's "not offside" goal and the fact that we hit the woodwork twice and Fletcher missed a header which was probably easier to score than miss.

The real question is why Carlos hasn't set up the team like this earlier in the season. The midfield were much further forward today and as others have said, we hunted in packs to regain possession.  There was some decent play from the back four coming forward and linking with the midfield too.  I agree that this must be the benchmark for the rest of the season, at least as a way of starting games.  There's always going to be teams that nullify our style of play and that's when a "plan B" is required. (yet to be identified)!

8 minutes ago, malek said:

To me it was key that we played Lee in central midfield, and not out wide.

Also Bannan run his socks off to get available for the ball bit further up the field, and not dropping to our 20 yards to get it off the toes of our central defenders all the time.

Agreed.  

It seems like the partnership between Bannan and Jones has been working well for us. So well in fact, that It allows Lee to take up a free role just in front of them, and to devastating effect.