Social Media Embarrassment

20 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Seriously, just look at the replies on twitter to the SWFC page to Carlos's interview. 

Its starting to make me feel ashamed and I don't see an end to it. Even if CC goes I think it won't be long before a new man gets it if things don't turn our way immediately. 

Just scores of people saying 'f*ck off' and abusing. 

Anyone else feeling the same? 

100% agree but it's just the way it is these days with social media unfortunately. I want Carlos replaced but that stuff just leaves me cold.

5 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Simple solution, don't go on Twitter or facebook, end of!.

But me not going on it won't prevent everyone else reading it, other fans, journos, players, management. 

So unfortunately it won't make a bit of difference to the issue unless everyone stops using it! lol

7 minutes ago, Maxine said:

They can go support the pigs if they are going to act like scum bags it's more their level.

To be fair Maxine we're no better or worse than our fellow Sheffielders across the city. Some like to take the moral high ground in this respect (from both sides of the city). The reality is that they are a similar mix of the good bad and ugly just like us.

It's my age you see but my formative years as a fan were in the 60's when there was banter yes, sometimes a bit edgy but now it seems that if you support the 'wrong' club, blue or red you become a scumbag, pig or general lowlife to the rival 'fans'. It was evidenced on here last week and I've no doubt similar on Bladesmad.

Like the sh*t described in the OP, in my somewhat old fashioned opinion, it's utter, nasty and unnecessary Boll'x.

We're no different to any other club, it only appears that way because as fans we are absorbed in our own club. If we spent as much time researching other clubs, their fan base and their social media activity you'd probably see a high percentage of the same activity on a good number too.

52 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Seriously, just look at the replies on twitter to the SWFC page to Carlos's interview. 

Its starting to make me feel ashamed and I don't see an end to it. Even if CC goes I think it won't be long before a new man gets it if things don't turn our way immediately. 

Sadly this happens on pretty much every form of social media that is viewed by thousands. 

Some people just do it for the reaction.

I do agree with Neil tho, that Owlstalk has been pretty gentle with CC in comparison to other social media platform.

I left all facebook groups for Wednesday other than West Midlands owls the other day and I've blocked half the fanbase on twitter. I can't be doing with it. I would say that they wouldn't speak to a person like that face to face but I'm not so sure these days. Whole country just seems to be angry and devoid of class, maybe I'm just getting old.

31 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

But me not going on it won't prevent everyone else reading it, other fans, journos, players, management. 

So unfortunately it won't make a bit of difference to the issue unless everyone stops using it! lol

I have never had, nor felt the need to have, an account on either to be honest.

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is what I was saying the other day when someone tried to suggest that Owlstalk was dictating the toxicity of the fanbase

I just pointed to Facebook and Twitter and then mentioned that Owlstalk is way more thoughtful and calm than the madness on the other platforms

Did you tell them to F#ck Off, Neil ?? lol

Edited by Owl999

3 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

I left all facebook groups for Wednesday other than West Midlands owls the other day and I've blocked half the fanbase on twitter. I can't be doing with it. I would say that they wouldn't speak to a person like that face to face but I'm not so sure these days. Whole country just seems to be angry and devoid of class, maybe I'm just getting old.

Likely both. I'm with ya brother!

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

This is what I was saying the other day when someone tried to suggest that Owlstalk was dictating the toxicity of the fanbase

I just pointed to Facebook and Twitter and then mentioned that Owlstalk is way more thoughtful and calm than the madness on the other platforms

It wasn't a dig at the forum itself, I can't keep off here! Owlstalk for me has connected me back with the club emotionally even when we were at rock bottom. It's the best example I can think of of the positive impact social media can have. And you were right, I don't use Facebook that much. What I was trying to articulate was the feeling that certain opinion was able to virtually hijack the forum to say Owlstalk has spoken, echoing the Sun newspaper. To me that's beginning to say that the club needs to react or risk losing the fan base, as Owlstalk some might say is the fanbase. (Which obviously it isn't entirely). And that for me gives those who will do it the green light to make the atmosphere toxic. It's been on the edge for a while mainly at individuals like Adam Reach, the abuse I have seem towards him even this season has been disgraceful. Hillsborough home games can be raucous and uplifting like no other ground but at the bottom of it all when things start to hurt on the pitch it's like a dark poison, an immovable gloom fills the place. We can all remember historically times where this happened and Sunday we can all feel it, due to this view that the fanbase has spoken, if we lose the plot on the field, the whole thing is going to break. 

It's the modern age where everyone has an opinion and they can voice it how they want.  We live in a world where "just saying" has become a way of legitimising any absolute rounduns spouted.  Where "saying it as it is" gets you out of being a complete and utter brainless idiot.  Hell we even have world leaders doing it.  Sadly I think it's just the world we live in now where all the idiots who used to sit down the pub and moan to each other can now express their opinions online for millions to see.

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Yep. I think he deserved way more respect from some folk than he's getting. I'm not his biggest fan right now, but he does not deserve the venom being thrown at him. 

• Like 1