When do we write off the season?

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

Personally, I think it was written off before a ball was kicked this season.

The manner of the defeat against Huddersfield has left an indelible mark.

Each season is built on the shoulders of the one before. There's a cumulative effect.

That explains why the Blades are doing well...and we're not.

Few managers could survive two consecutive play-off defeats, simply because of the psychological damage it has done.

We lost a penalty shootout, Huddersfield won two penalty shoot outs, hardly scintillating stuff. Oh lest I forget let me remind you of just how awful and half hearted was FFs penalty in that shootout. get over it.

For me the end of November, it's not out the realms of possibility we can turn this around with a bit of luck.

Sadly with everything going off, I wish I could see it happening, however mid table rubbish might be where we are at. 

I always harp back to it but the beginning of last season is where it went wrong.

6 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

We lost a penalty shootout, Huddersfield won two penalty shoot outs, hardly scintillating stuff. Oh lest I forget let me remind you of just how awful and half hearted was FFs penalty in that shootout. get over it.

I meant the performance in the games prior to that shoot-out, especially at Huddersfield.

It's not about my getting over it. I got over it. But in this field you get nothing for finishing second, and it actually harms you.

Carlos can't change the past - his words - and the baggage of failure has been carried over into this season.

11 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

For me the end of November, it's not out the realms of possibility we can turn this around with a bit of luck.

Sadly with everything going off, I wish I could see it happening, however mid table rubbish might be where we are at. 

I always harp back to it but the beginning of last season is where it went wrong.

People say the Hull game, but I think the Leeds game last season. Monk picked the biggest midfield ever seen on a football pitch and doubled up down the flanks.

I meant the performance in the games prior to that shoot-out, especially at Huddersfield.

It's not about my getting over it. I got over it. But in this field you get nothing for finishing second, and it actually harms you.

Carlos can't change the past - his words - and the baggage of failure has been carried over into this season.

Yes you do..... Automatic promotion.

Go out and find yourself a positive attitude you will find that your life will become even more successful than it already is.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mark1948 said:

Yes you do..... Automatic promotion.

Go out and find yourself a positive attitude you will find that your life will become even more successful than it already is.

Second in the play-offs...

My attitude isn't the issue here, I was referring more to that of the players. What the Blades' players are doing this season was built on what happened last.

As with them, so with us.

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Weren't Barnsley in the relegation zone in December the other season and managed to get in the play offs and then go up?

So bit early to write off the season just yet but it does feel like we are further away from promotion then we have been since CC took over.

That's true, but circumstances were different there.

They had a very talented, yet young and inexperienced team. They were losing games because of lack of experience.

Older heads were brought in to supplement them, and the rest is history.

Second in the play-offs...

My attitude isn't the issue here, I was referring more to that of the players. What the Blades' players are doing this season was built on what happened last.

As with them, so with us.

Look how Barnsley started last season only to sell their best and drop down the league. Ipswich always start well and end up mid table. I really do think that we will turn this around. Chin up. Post something positive it will make you feel better if nothing else.

Even with our current standing, 2-3 wins will take us back in touch... even Brighton had a poo season the one before promotion runs so with 36 games left -  a full season in many leagues - it's still a bit early to say. Around Christmas/New Year is when I usually write off a season if we're still in a poor place.

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Weren't Barnsley in the relegation zone in December the other season and managed to get in the play offs and then go up?

So bit early to write off the season just yet but it does feel like we are further away from promotion then we have been since CC took over.

I think the Barnsley players had a bit more steel and hunger about them. Do you honestly believe this squad is capable of climbing back up this table. I wish I could believe in them but sadly, I can't . This really as been on the cards for some time and not a blip. Luring players which are in the last few seasons of their careers with very good wages takes the hunger element away. in most circumstances. Where is the motivation. If the club (SWFC) are prepared to sign these on lucrative deals which will sort their last playing days out is the clubs fault not theirs. I bet the Barnsley players were on a tenth of what these players are on. 

Write it off? Right now that's ridiculous. We got to the play off the last two seasons, the first of those we had 12 points at this stage, last season we had 14. We currently have 13. I know the weekend was painful, and last night was just... rubbish. But keep a little perspective people.

Carlos might not be able to get us thru the playoffs, thats a very fair thing to say, we certainly have a problem in pressure games (tho we handled Fulham well lately). But at this point we're be no means out of the race for going up and I honestly doubt we will be at any point this season whether carlos stays or goes.

We've had two garbage results. People don't want to hear it, but before that we had 11 from 15. Don't confuse the fairly turgid football we play with not getting results. If Carlos stays we'll find form again, we'll play pretty turgid and we'll probably make the playoffs again but lose. We are good enough to do that. If we lose to Leeds then there's an opportunity for Chansiri to make a change and maybe get us playing more positive and actually have a shot of getting thru those playoffs.

But any talk of relegation is crazy.

The average minimum pts tally in the last 10years to ensure a playoff place in the championship is 1.6pts per game which is 74pts in a season.

Currently we are averaging 1.3 pts per game which equates to 60pts in a season.

Over the last 10 years the average position for a 60pts total in the championship is 14th.

So that is where we are heading if we continue in the same manner we have started.

There are still many permutations as to where we will finish but there needs to be an upturn in form to finish 6th.

13 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

I think the Barnsley players had a bit more steel and hunger about them. Do you honestly believe this squad is capable of climbing back up this table. I wish I could believe in them but sadly, I can't . This really as been on the cards for some time and not a blip. Luring players which are in the last few seasons of their careers with very good wages takes the hunger element away. in most circumstances. Where is the motivation. If the club (SWFC) are prepared to sign these on lucrative deals which will sort their last playing days out is the clubs fault not theirs. I bet the Barnsley players were on a tenth of what these players are on. 

14 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

The average age of last night's team was 26 with Stephen Fletcher the eldest at the age of 30.

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

Personally, I think it was written off before a ball was kicked this season.

The manner of the defeat against Huddersfield has left an indelible mark.

Each season is built on the shoulders of the one before. There's a cumulative effect.

That explains why the Blades are doing well...and we're not.

Few managers could survive two consecutive play-off defeats, simply because of the psychological damage it has done.

To an extent I think you are right. In my opinion not freshening up the squad after 2 consecutive playoff defeats was a mistake. 

Even if Carlos had gone I think we'd be having the same issues now. We need some fresh blood on the playing side, even if it means selling a couple of favourites to do it.

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

To an extent I think you are right. In my opinion not freshening up the squad after 2 consecutive playoff defeats was a mistake. 

Even if Carlos had gone I think we'd be having the same issues now. We need some fresh blood on the playing side, even if it means selling a couple of favourites to do it.

Yes, that too.

It's really difficult for a squad to keep getting up for it season after season, that's why most chairmen replace the manager to draw a line under it.

It's much easier than dealing with the team.

Think we need to forget about the Premiership for the time being.

Just concentrate on fixing the club from top to bottom and being the best run club we can be.  Sort out the youth setup, the commercial side, get the right people in running the club and success on the pitch will come.

Stuff that in retrospect Chansiri should have spent his money on instead of spaffing it all on 12 strikers and a bunch of midfielders who never play.

Although with FFP and Chansiri already around £100m deep it might be too late for that....